Abortion: Deserving death penalty?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Should people who have an abortion be sentenced for murder?

• YES

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • NO

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
K

kayem77

With respect, you are not God, and you cannot judge another's soul. For what it's worth, I don't think they'd end up in hell either, but I can't see how one can be so dogmatic about it. So I say we can hope, but we simply don't know.

I completely agree with you Maddog, we can not be dogmatic about this, since the Bible doesn't say anything clear about this. I was talking to a friend about this like a year ago and it made logic to us, knowing the nature of God, that He would have mercy on them. But we cannot take it as a doctrine.

I found this site and it explains very good about aborted babies, using Scripture:
Do the souls of aborted babies go to heaven?

S

Scotth1960

Do you think abortion deserves to be treated like murder. I personally think no because there are so many different situations.
Dear needmesomejesus,
The Church has always opposed the death penalty. The Bible is not a tool by wish to punish crimes by death. Christ came to save sinners and criminals from death. The murders should be given life in prison.
See:
"Regarding the Church's opposition to capital punishment
by Fr. Ted Bobosh
http:// www.incommunion.org/2008/05/20/regarding-the-church's-opposition-to-capital-punishment/

M

Maddog

Because they can only be in heaven or hell and I don't believe God would send innocent babies to hell.
While they're innocent of actual sin, they still have the stain of original sin which is only removed through baptism. Also, I'm not sure heaven or hell are the only options.

N

needmesomejesus

While they're innocent of actual sin, they still have the stain of original sin which is only removed through baptism. Also, I'm not sure heaven or hell are the only options.

original sin is removed when you ask Christ to save you not baptism. what other options are there?

S

Scotth1960

Original sin is a false teaching, rejected by the historic Orthodox Church. Sinners are responsible only for their own sins, not the sins of their ancestors (Ezekiel 18).

M

Maddog

original sin is removed when you ask Christ to save you
Which infants cannot do...

what other options are there?
Limbo. A place for those not guilty of actual sin, and so they are spared the torment of hell, but who cannot enter the full glory of God's presence because they still have the stain of original sin. We're into speculative territory here, but it's not unfounded speculation. Consider a place similar to where the righteous who died before the time of Christ dwelt before redemption (see 1 Peter 3:19-20; 1 Peter 4:6).

M

Maddog

Original sin is a false teaching, rejected by the historic Orthodox Church. Sinners are responsible only for their own sins, not the sins of their ancestors (Ezekiel 18).
I know the Orthodox reject the Augustinian view, but I thought you chaps had something similar; ancestral sin, isn't it?

N

needmesomejesus

Which infants cannot do...

Limbo. A place for those not guilty of actual sin, and so they are spared the torment of hell, but who cannot enter the full glory of God's presence because they still have the stain of original sin. We're into speculative territory here, but it's not unfounded speculation. Consider a place similar to where the righteous who died before the time of Christ dwelt before redemption (see 1 Peter 3:19-20; 1 Peter 4:6).

yah, but i don't think you have to call on Christ if you don't have the ability, but we have to wait till heaven to know. and thats an intresting point; I don't agree with it, but its intresting.

S

SantoSubito

I voted yes, but I can not as a Catholic support capital punishment.

S

SantoSubito

I know the Orthodox reject the Augustinian view, but I thought you chaps had something similar; ancestral sin, isn't it?
Well the difference is that the EO believe we only inherited the ability to sin from Adam, while the Western view holds that we inherited Adams guilt.

S

Scotth1960

Ancestral sin does not make people guilty of other people's sins (see Ezek. 18). It is the ancestral sin that caused inherited death, inherited mortality, not inherited sin. We are born mortal, subject to death, and born with the knowledge of good and evil, a knowledge that God wanted to forbid to Adam and Eve. God told Adam and Eve not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, but they both ate of the wrong tree. If they had abstained from eating of this tree, God could possibly have rewarded them for their faithfulness, and given them access to the Tree of Life, and they would have become immortal.
This did not happen. Knowing this, Christ is predestined and has always existed, from the beginning He was there with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. These three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, have always existed, and will always exist, for they are One God.
The only God (Isa. 44:6).

S

Scotth1960

Well the difference is that the EO believe we only inherited the ability to sin from Adam, while the Western view holds that we inherited Adams guilt.
Exactly so. The Western view contradicts Ezekiel 18. The EO view is the correct view and agrees with the whole Bible.

A

AnandaHya

Exactly so. The Western view contradicts Ezekiel 18. The EO view is the correct view and agrees with the whole Bible.
Interesting...

Ezekiel 18

19 “Yet you say, ‘Why should the son not bear the guilt of the father?’ Because the son has done what is lawful and right, and has kept all My statutes and observed them, he shall surely live. 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.
21 “But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 22 None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live. 23 Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord GOD, “and not that he should turn from his ways and live?
24 “But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall die.
25 “Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not fair.’ Hear now, O house of Israel, is it not My way which is fair, and your ways which are not fair? 26 When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity, and dies in it, it is because of the iniquity which he has done that he dies. 27 Again, when a wicked man turns away from the wickedness which he committed, and does what is lawful and right, he preserves himself alive. 28 Because he considers and turns away from all the transgressions which he committed, he shall surely live; he shall not die.