Adding OS to computer that is in use?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

wwjd_kilden

I should probably know about this having studied computers, but i don't.... (yells at teachers).

I am currently running Win7 on my computer.

Now being used to windows I really don't want to get rid of it. On the other hand, it would be nice to have access to a Linux OS so I can try to remember the command line stuff and some bash scripting in case I need this for work later.

Would I risk loosing the stuff I already have on my computer if I start installing it on my computer now?

Would it affect the computers performance a lot?

G

GRA

I should probably know about this having studied computers, but i don't.... (yells at teachers).

I am currently running Win7 on my computer.

Now being used to windows I really don't want to get rid of it. On the other hand, it would be nice to have access to a Linux OS so I can try to remember the command line stuff and some bash scripting in case I need this for work later.

Would I risk loosing the stuff I already have on my computer if I start installing it on my computer now?

Would it affect the computers performance a lot?
YES - you can install linux on your machine without affecting your Windows installation. However - wisdom says back it up first anyway... ;)

It is even possible to install linux on the same physical drive together with a Windows installation. However - it can be a little tricky - depending on how "computer savvy" you are (and a few other things).

If you are able to add another hard-drive, I would suggest that you go that route. You can actually [temporarily] replace the hard-drive with Windows on it with the new one (electrically speaking - you may or may not have to actually physically remove the original drive - hopefully you can just mount the new hard-drive and move the cables/connections to the new drive) -- install linux on the new drive -- put both back in (electrically connect both) -- make sure you properly setup the boot-menu -- and, you are ready to go... :cool:

It should not affect the performance at all. (Except that Linux will probably out-perform Windows. :D )

S

Siberian_Khatru

GRA provided you with quite a bit here, so there's not much for me to expand on. :D

You can run a Linux Live CD (run the OS right off a disc), but you won't have access to all the features, and then the OS is only as functional and fast as your optical drive.

You can create a dual boot system and have Linux installed side by side with Windows on a single hard drive, which will allow you to boot into either OS once the computer makes it past POST.

OR, you can install Linux within Windows - much like a virtual machine.

Now you just need to pick one of the many distros out there. ;) Personally, I like Linux Mint; it's based off Ubuntu, but more user friendly. Ubuntu on the other hand is more aesthetically up to date, so to speak (think of it like this: Linux Mint = Windows XP, Ubuntu = Windows Vista, graphically speaking).

W

wwjd_kilden

S

Siberian_Khatru

Oh, you mentioned command line. Keep in mind Windows command line and Linux terminal - although they function similarly - have very different commands.

Enjoy!

W

wwjd_kilden

yeah, I tried once (using Linux commands in windows), hehe.

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
YES - you can install linux on your machine without affecting your Windows installation. However - wisdom says back it up first anyway... ;)

It is even possible to install linux on the same physical drive together with a Windows installation. However - it can be a little tricky - depending on how "computer savvy" you are (and a few other things).

If you are able to add another hard-drive, I would suggest that you go that route. You can actually [temporarily] replace the hard-drive with Windows on it with the new one (electrically speaking - you may or may not have to actually physically remove the original drive - hopefully you can just mount the new hard-drive and move the cables/connections to the new drive) -- install linux on the new drive -- put both back in (electrically connect both) -- make sure you properly setup the boot-menu -- and, you are ready to go... :cool:

It should not affect the performance at all. (Except that Linux will probably out-perform Windows. :D )

I think the adding-another-hard-drive process is a waste of time and money. I think she should just partition the hard drive using Computer Management in Windows and from there its pretty straight forward (at least for ubuntu and mint). Boot from disc, install, etc. Or alternatively just get Oracle VirtualBox which is pretty straight forward in terms of usability. Just saying...
God bless

S

Siberian_Khatru

I think she should just partition the hard drive using Computer Management in Windows
Linux Mint and Ubuntu allow you to allocate disk space however you want during installation. Partitioning the drive in the Computer Management snap in isn't necessary, and arguably is a waste of time, since that partition still needs formatted for the EXT file system Linux uses (which Windows doesn't recognize).

Easier method is to let Linux do the leg work for you.