Advice about Roommate

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 14, 2007
I live with four other Christian guys in a house. We didn't all know each other when we moved in, but we're starting to get along pretty well.

One of my roommates plays video games. A lot. He used to come straight home from work and play video games, and all he would do is work, play, and sleep. Now he lost his job (got laid off) and all he does is play video games all day (aside from the occasional day once or twice a week where he spends a few hours job hunting). He rarely goes to church anymore; typically once a month. When he did have a job, he would use all his excess money to buy video games; saving no money and also giving none of it to the church.

Here is the problem; he gets really angry playing the video games. I constantly hear him from across the house yelling at other players on the game or yelling about glitches in the game itself. He's always like "Oh COME ON...WHATS YOUR FLIPPIN PROBLEM?!" or "THE OTHER PLAYERS ARE IDIOTS" and proceeds to explain verbally why he feels so wronged by the game/other players (to anyone within earshot).

I've asked him if he thinks it's a good use of his time to be playing video games so much and he justifies it by saying it's something he likes to do, so it's no less of a waste of time as doing something social. I feel that social relationships are an important thing and much more spiritually beneficial than playing video games, but he does not agree.

I feel like this obsession is spiritually unhealthy for him, and that it is the main thing that causes him to be so angry, unsocial, and greedy with his money. I would really appreciate some advice as to what I should do to help him.

L

lil-rush

pray for him. I'm sure there are other things you can do as well, but the first thing that popped into my head is pray. If people don't want to change, they aren't going to. It takes a change of heart for someone to change their ways. Pray that he has a change of heart and realizes how unhealthy playing games are for him.

D

Derek

Well prayer is probably the first and foremost thing you can do for him, but as far as taking action, here's some idea's:
Spend some time thinking of way's to edify him. Compliments of things he does or has done good that have to do with church or something spiritual. For example, if he's ever quoted scripture off the top of his head, tell him you admire that. Maybe he'll get the idea he should do it more. Or if you think he might be good in a certain ministry, tell him and go the extra mile to get him involved. Maybe get involved in that certain ministry yourself then invite him. Never give up or get discouraged by his attitude. He needs you, he just doesn't realize it yet. The key is love, love him like you love yourself.;) Another good idea would be to invite him for a walk or a bite to eat, get him away from the games and be his friend. Talk, encourage, and be transparent. If all else fails, the secret weapon for any guy would be trying to find him a love intrest. Do you know anyone that may be capatable for him? Just make sure she's going to be a positive influence in bringing him closer to God. Just don't give up on him and be positive. Negatism will only deter a person.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
He sounds addicted and needs help
TS560x560_4043718.jpg

You realize this particular thread is 12 years old, right? I've noticed you're zombifying a bunch of threads. Whyfore howcome?