Advice on how to stop smoking

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Godschild03

What advice would you give someone who is trying to quit smoking? I been trying to quit ever since I gave my life to GOD and I can't seem to quit.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Quite often the habit of smoking is taken away by God at the time of regeneration (ie being born again), but this is not always the case.

A few pointers:

1) Have you asked the Lord's help in this matter, if you haven't already done so, pray (every day) for Him to remove the desire to smoke/use tobacco from you?

2) Quitting smoking is about exercising will-power, have you tried exercising it and if so, how long do you get off them before you start again? Very often smokers find the first 2 weeks not too difficult, but after that it is a different story.

3) Have you tried nicotine patches/gum/inhalers?

4) Have you talked to your doctor/(local) support groups about stopping? There are some medicines that can help persons with strong nicotine cravings to stop.

Yahweh Shalom

C

Crimeny

first perhaps cut down the intake/smoking to less than a couple packs, later less than 1 pack and then less than maybe 1 or 2 cigarettes. Work your way down to 0 and then throw away all the cigarettes but watch out! Smoking friends and people might offer you cigarettes (devil tempts after you get clean) so you be careful and be on guard!

Jesus bless you!

S

shekaniah

When I was a kid, my mom stopped by slowly cutting back. She got to the point she was lighting a cigarette, take one puff and put it out.
It took her a few weeks, but she stopped.

I will be praying for you, ask God for wisdom!

Jame 1:5
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

Dec 19, 2009
What advice would you give someone who is trying to quit smoking? I been trying to quit ever since I gave my life to GOD and I can't seem to quit.
I smoked heavily for twelve years. I tried to quite gradually, but that didn't work. I finally quit all at once. After about six weeks the suffering went away, though I did have one weekend-relapse a few months later. That was in 1986. I haven't smoked since, nor do I have any desire to smoke.