advice suggestions + long verson of my stuggles

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 29, 2013
BEFORE READING: i know this is long you may skip over my bully story if your pressed for time or think my message is to long you can always go back to my story main thing i want out is my group.

OK i had this idea i told my pastor about it and hes on board. before i continue my idea was start a small group for kids to just hang out talk about school or family. basicly is for children affected by bulling or abuse. the reason for starting this group is im speaking from experience most similar groups are run by youth pastor or therapist.

(group) the group is a definate i want to participate or be a leader. my pastor is looking around to see if one exist already in our area if not i will start one through my church.my age range is still unclear because abuse can affect anyone. the crowd im leaning towards is 8-16 maybe two separate groups 8-11 12-16. the reason being, one a big difference between 8 and 16, two teens have puberty and emotional thing the younger one don't have to deal with, maybe the teens want to talk about relationships or sex (they shouldn't be talking about sex theyre kids) teens are kids who think they are adults (sorry teens who are reading this its true and its part of growing up) so if i do start this group i need to figure out what are the major topics i need to cover?

(bully story) the reason i say i speak from experience is because i was bullied. mostly between ages 11-14 i was verbally and physically, i was called names like ugly and stupid dalmatian spotty, kids would kick me for no reason throw rocks at me push me into the mud. i would go home to a grandmother who payed more attention to my younger brother and sister. my grandma had custody of my siblings and i, i was edist of 5 at the time. i was mentally challenged, i still am i have neurofibromatosis , there is somethings i couldn't comprehend when i got a bad grad i got a scolding if i didn't understand something and said so i got slapped. she didn't know of my disabilities at the time because the social worker didnt take the time to ask my mom. i would have accidents in the day because i wasn't able to control my bladder. she beat me with a belt when i was 12 because i refused to wear a diaper. my grandmas boyfriend was constantly calling me stupid and slut idiot useless bum, he still is verbally abusive. i had bullies at school at home i thought about suicide many times attempted a few times and stopped myself. i lost faith lost trust had no friends felt unloved didn't believe in God. halfway through my 8th grade year, i was 14, i was hit pretty hard i passed out woke up in the nurses office. the following day a random girl asked me to sit with her at lunch, she became my best friend. not everyone will stumble upon one of these people but she rescued me my guardian angel. we remained friends throughout high school our senior year i was 18 we had a deep conversation. we ended up talking about middle school and she told me she walked me to the nurses office when i was passed out. she also told me the things i didn't hear that the kids used to say. that moment we hugged because i had told her that she save my life i held a knife to my wrist a few days before the incident in middle school. today she is still my best friend. GOD sent her to me he truly does work in mysterious ways.

(group) if it wasn't for my experience i probably wouldn't be starting this group. it was a test of my love and faith i almost failed. i trusted a girl i didn't know and had lunch with her and her friends. now its my turn to help those who are struggling. what do i need to do now? i put the idea out, how do i spread the word? get the attention of the children and young adults who need me? what should the main topics be? should we have weekly topics? should there be a lesson plan? or a book we base our group on like a bible study? should it be just an open group discussion? any suggestions anyone? teens especially what would you like to see from a young adult group or kids group? btw although its through the church it will be open to the community.

J

jaybee

I know someone on here who runs a group for at risk students, I am sure I will mention this to her. She just takes them out once a week for pizza or hikes or stuff its an all girls group so they talk about sex and drugs and stuff but mostly they just have fun. I think she runs it through the school.

Jul 29, 2013
the group im planning to start will be coed because i want the kids to speak up. i will not be the only one helping them they will help eachother

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
This is a wonderful idea, and I pray God gives you the opportunity to minister to young teens and pre-teens who are being bullied. One thing I would say, which I learned from being a chaplain, is to spend most of your time listening to their stories, not telling them your own. That doesn't mean you can't share what you have been through, and how God delivered you but it does mean that you need to focus on them, not what you have been through.

This is a perfect example of God giving "beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning!"

When I was in junior high, there was a young boy being bullied daily. I watched for a while, but didn't say anything. One day, I couldn't stand it any more. I stood up to the whole class, and protected him for a while. I learned that not only do we have to stand up to bullying, but the damage it does to young kids.

Praying for your group to come together. And sorry, no curriculum ideas. Maybe try googling it? Lifeway has some resources, but not sure if this is what you are looking for.

FLYTE remix: Bully or Bullied? | Lifeway Church Resources | LifeWay Christian

The other issue is to speak to the ones bullying. Show them what it does to people, educate them to stop! Just another idea I am throwing your way.

Jul 29, 2013
thank you angela for you feed back. telling my story is not going to be an all the time thing i will use bits and pieces to help others, the main focus is to have the kids and young adults talk to eachother

Sep 30, 2014
Let God guide you on what you should do... Pray about it until He answers. I like your idea though, what a God sent thought..