Aion and Aionios, or Endless torment?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 12, 2011
Forest had asked me how do I explain Mat.25:46, when it comes to
believing in the Salvation of All.

These two Greek words are gravely misunderstood, a study of this
little word and it's adjective, is well worth the read, it is quite long,
but Well Worth it. Our english way of thinking does not do these words
justice. And if we continue to believe in Endless Torment after considering
this article carefully, I believe we will continue to be in error.

AIÓN -- AIÓNIOS

Hopefully to wet your appetite this is the conclusion.

CONCLUSION.
Many sensible people will, with propriety, say, "Why all this labor to establish the meaning of one word?" And the author confesses that such a labor should be unnecessary. Men ought to refuse to credit such a doctrine as that of endless punishment on higher grounds than those of verbal definitions. Reverence, not to say respect, for God, the fact that he is the Father of mankind, should cause all to reject the doctrine of endless torment, though the weight of argument were a thousand fold to one in favor of the popular definition of this word. But there are many who disregard the moral argument against the doctrine, which is unanswerable; who crush under the noblest instincts of the heart and soul, which plead, trumpet-tongued, against that horrible nightmare of doubt and unbelief; who cling to the mere letter of the word which kills, and ignore the spirit which gives life; who insist that all the voices of reason and sentiment should be disregarded because the Bible declares the doctrine of endless punishment for sinners. It is for such that these facts have been gathered, and this essay written, that no shred nor vestige even of verbal probability should exist to mislead the mind, and so seem to sanction the doctrine that defames God and distresses man; that it might be seen that the letter and the spirit of the word agree, and are in perfect accord with the dictates of reason, the instincts of the heart, and the impulses of the soul, in rejecting the worst falsehood, the foulest of all brood of error, the darkest defamation of the dear God's character that ever yet was invented, the monstrous falsehood that represents him as consigning the souls he has created to his own image to interminable torment. The word under examination is the foundation stone of that evil structure.
Thus it has appeared as the result of this discussion that
1. There is nothing in the Etymology of the word warranting the erroneous view of it.
2. The definitions of Lexicographers uniformly given not only allow but compel the view we have advocated.
3. Greek writers before and at the time the Septuagint was made, always gave the word the sense of limited duration.
4. Such is the general usage in the Old Testament.
5. The Jewish Greek writers at the time of Christ ascribed to it limited duration.
6. The New Testament thus employs it.
7. The Christian Fathers for centuries after Christ thus understood it.
Hence it follows that the readers of the Bible are under the most imperative obligations to understand the word in all cases as denoting limited duration, unless the subject treated, or other qualifying words compel them to understand it differently. There is nothing in the Derivation, Lexicography or Usage of the word to warrant us in understanding it to convey the thought of endless duration.
If our positions are well taken the Bible does not teach the doctrine of endless torment, for it will be admitted that if this word does not teach it, it cannot be found in the Bible.

Blessings

C

CanadaNZ

We do know from the bible that if we are not followers of Christ, then we are followers of Satan and we know where Satan and those who stand with him will go forever and ever.

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 13:8
All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the Lamb’s book of life, the Lamb who was slain from the creation of the world.

Oct 12, 2011
What is not of Gods Nature will no doubt go into the Fire,
But forever and ever, is exactly what this article shows is erroneous,
And I do not believe that you read it or gave it the proper attension that it
requires, so what is left to say.

You shall remain in error, and traditions of men, rather than come out of them.

Blessings

C

CanadaNZ

What is not of Gods Nature will no doubt go into the Fire,
But forever and ever, is exactly what this article shows is erroneous,
And I do not believe that you read it or gave it the proper attension that it
requires, so what is left to say.

You shall remain in error, and traditions of men, rather than come out of them.

Blessings
Wow that's very assumptive, I didn't even use the same passage as you, so maybe you shouldn't assume you know more than someone else about everything. Yours looks like a copy and pasted from a website, which is sketchy at best unless you specifically know the person you copied it from. There are all sorts of websites that say conflicting things using the same greek words and verses, they can't all be right.

C

CanadaNZ

Luke 16

22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’
27 “Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ 29 Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”

Let's move away from this word that you believe is translated wrong. This tells us that those in torment cannot cross the gulf to heaven. Abraham is not saying the the rich man can't on his own, but that he can't at all.

Oct 12, 2011
Wow that's very assumptive, I didn't even use the same passage as you, so maybe you shouldn't assume you know more than someone else about everything. Yours looks like a copy and pasted from a website, which is sketchy at best unless you specifically know the person you copied it from. There are all sorts of websites that say conflicting things using the same greek words and verses, they can't all be right.

CanadaZ, I would in no way presume to know everything, and I don't even imply
that, but I have done my homework on this very important word, which we have in
the scriptures in english, as everlasting, for ever and ever, and eternal.

And everyone on here just about, copies and paste, but I can say with confidence
that I have read it carefully and judged it to be truth, or I would not have posted it.

Can you say the same thing?

That is what this thread is about after all.