Alcohol Abuse

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
I have no problem with people who have a little beer or wine at the end of a stressful day. However, I suspect you’ll find many of our churches have problems with alcohol abuse.

It isn’t an obvious problem. Such people probably don’t drink HUGE amounts of alcohol (such as a fifth of hard liquor a day), and they probably conceal much of their drinking from nondrinkers.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
I guess the question here should be, does the scripture have sound evidence against "drinking"? Or is it more specific to drunkenness? In my opinion it is not the former but the latter. While some claim that when Jesus drank wine, he wasn't really drinking wine but a grape "juice". However a closer analysis to scripture shows that the same greek word for wine, as in the fermented drink is used in other instances of the bible and used in the scriptures describing Jesus having wine. Is anything in moderation like a glass of wine or a beer a sin? I do not believe it is so. Can most people ever have just the moderate amount of anything (food, alcohol, CHOCOLATE)? Not usually haha

Dec 19, 2009
I guess the question here should be, does the scripture have sound evidence against "drinking"? Or is it more specific to drunkenness? In my opinion it is not the former but the latter. While some claim that when Jesus drank wine, he wasn't really drinking wine but a grape "juice". However a closer analysis to scripture shows that the same greek word for wine, as in the fermented drink is used in other instances of the bible and used in the scriptures describing Jesus having wine. Is anything in moderation like a glass of wine or a beer a sin? I do not believe it is so. Can most people ever have just the moderate amount of anything (food, alcohol, CHOCOLATE)? Not usually haha
The Bible allows drinking, but not drunkeness. Of course, the argument arises as to what constitutes drunkeness. One thing is for sure, people who overdrink don’t believe they overdrink.

In my drinking days, my mother said two beers should be my limit. I was drinking three or four, and when I gave up tobacco, I started drinking more than that.

Feeling guilty, I pledged one night I'd stop at six. I broke the pledge and woke up with that night with the distinct feeling I had demons in my head. I haven't had a drink since. That was 1986.

May 15, 2013
When people drinks, they are using it for a substitue for something that they are lacking and the world isn't supplying what they are lacking.

Matthew 28:8
So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples.

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Luke 1:15
for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born.

Luke 15
16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.
“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

Dec 19, 2009
When people drinks, they are using it for a substitue for something that they are lacking and the world isn't supplying what they are lacking.

Matthew 28:8
So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples.

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Luke 1:15
for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born.

Luke 15
16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.
“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
I think people with very stressful lives might benefit from a little alcohol, but I think basically we’re better off not drinking.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
I have no problem with people who have a little beer or wine at the end of a stressful day. However, I suspect you’ll find many of our churches have problems with alcohol abuse.

It isn’t an obvious problem. Such people probably don’t drink HUGE amounts of alcohol (such as a fifth of hard liquor a day), and they probably conceal much of their drinking from nondrinkers.
...and this problem with alcohol doesn't begin immediately, it starts gradually by having a glass say after a hectic day at work and then afterwards 2 to 3 bottles then afterwards they're hooked on it and can't stop drinking. Alcohol is a very addictive drug and many lives have been destroyed by this devil in a bottle, as such, I advocate abstinence. If it's about relieving stress, there are better/healthier coping mechanisms.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
Drinking is very addictive and this is why most churches I have been to preach against drinking all together.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
most Churches preach against drinking not because it is a sin, for you cannot make a Biblical case for it being a sin to have a drink, but because it competes with money for their collection plates.

Dec 19, 2009
Drinking is very addictive and this is why most churches I have been to preach against drinking all together.
I think it is better not to drink at all. Still, the Bible doesn't outlaw it completely. Some people do live extremely stressful lives. They might be better off with a glass or two of wine than doing what they might otherwise do.

Dec 19, 2009
most Churches preach against drinking not because it is a sin, for you cannot make a Biblical case for it being a sin to have a drink, but because it competes with money for their collection plates.
The Bible makes it clear that over-drinking is a sin.

B

BibleEd

There is nothing wrong with drinking, but like some on here have said it is when you drink exccesively that there is a problem. Jesus drank wine, but had it modestly. Many however drink to get drunk which the bible condones in 1 corinthians 6:10 says "
nor thieves, nor greedy
+
persons, nor drunkards,
+
nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom"