Alcoholic Beverages

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
There is a difference between drinking alcohol in moderation and alcohol abuse or addiction.
Some people should never touch it. It might not be right for me because I can't handle it ((
hiccup))
But fine with dinner for my neighbour.

Banning it for everyone at all times would only make us fanatical authoritarians. No one needs a church like that.

1 Cor 10 (CSB)

23 “Everything is permissible,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible,” but not everything builds up.
24 No one is to seek his own good, but the good of the other person.

25 Eat everything that is sold in the meat market, without raising questions for the sake of conscience,
26 since the earth is the Lord’s, and all that is in it. [Ps 24:1 ]
27 If any of the unbelievers invites you over and you want to go, eat everything that is set before you, without raising questions for the sake of conscience.
28 But if someone says to you, “This is food from a sacrifice,” do not eat it, out of consideration for the one who told you, and for the sake of conscience.
29 I do not mean your own conscience, but the other person’s. For why is my freedom judged by another person’s conscience?
30 If I partake with thanksgiving, why am I criticized because of something for which I give thanks?

31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God. 32 Give no offense to Jews or Greeks or the church of God, 33 just as I also try to please everyone in everything, not seeking my own benefit, but the benefit of many, so that they may be saved.
One little drink won't hurt...famous last words.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
There is a difference between drinking alcohol in moderation and alcohol abuse or addiction.
Some people should never touch it. It might not be right for me because I can't handle it ((
hiccup))
But fine with dinner for my neighbour.

Banning it for everyone at all times would only make us fanatical authoritarians. No one needs a church like that.

1 Cor 10 (CSB)

23 “Everything is permissible,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible,” but not everything builds up.
24 No one is to seek his own good, but the good of the other person.

25 Eat everything that is sold in the meat market, without raising questions for the sake of conscience,
26 since the earth is the Lord’s, and all that is in it. [Ps 24:1 ]
27 If any of the unbelievers invites you over and you want to go, eat everything that is set before you, without raising questions for the sake of conscience.
28 But if someone says to you, “This is food from a sacrifice,” do not eat it, out of consideration for the one who told you, and for the sake of conscience.
29 I do not mean your own conscience, but the other person’s. For why is my freedom judged by another person’s conscience?
30 If I partake with thanksgiving, why am I criticized because of something for which I give thanks?

31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God. 32 Give no offense to Jews or Greeks or the church of God, 33 just as I also try to please everyone in everything, not seeking my own benefit, but the benefit of many, so that they may be saved.
1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Now we know what scripture says about it....and I know that someone will post the scriptures surrounding it.
And the first two stories in the Bible involving alcoholic Beverages was Noah and Lot....(Noah got naked and Lot ended up sleeping with his daughters) Obviously not positive stories.

Drinking wine or beer at festivals at the Temple were also commanded....but getting drunk was prohibited. (Aaron's sons)

It was a great means of flavoring and steralizing drinking water.

And not all wine was actually wine...some of it was actually something akin to jam or jelly we eat today but language barrier is rough to get clarification.

But today most Christians seem to shy away from drinking anything stronger than coffee...other than a fear of the highly expensive DUI is there any reason why people don't drink that much anymore?
I'm guessing you don't hang around many Southern Baptists :)

Being perfectly honest. Southern Baptists here in Bama have zero problem with drinking alcoholic beverages. They even make jokes about it One I hear often being:

Why you don't go fishing with a Southern Baptist: He will spend all day telling you what you are doing wrong, and he will drink ALL THE BEER!

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
I have a friend who is very vocal about his faith but is an alcoholic (and doesn't really realize it).

When he has alcohol in his system, he is rude and obnoxious; rebellious and belligerent.

But I have also seen him lead people in the sinner's prayer.

I just think that if those same people who prayed with him found out about his little problem, that it would stumble them to the point that they might even lose faith.

I think that his proclaiming Christ on the one hand; while at other times he belts out secular songs and cusses in church, drags the name of Jesus through the mud.

He is also very judgmental.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
I think that Matthew 7:21-23 and 1 Corinthians 9:27 apply.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I'm guessing you don't hang around many Southern Baptists :)

Being perfectly honest. Southern Baptists here in Bama have zero problem with drinking alcoholic beverages. They even make jokes about it One I hear often being:

Why you don't go fishing with a Southern Baptist: He will spend all day telling you what you are doing wrong, and he will drink ALL THE BEER!
Actually I do attend Southern Baptist churches regularly... been in ones from coast to coast North and South and many points in between.

And they all preach from the pulpit about abstinence and fuss about those members with beer in the fridge...meh.

But I also know that they all mostly drink...not a lot but they do drink. Most of them consider it their big big secret sin too. And when they do I feel very relaxed about them. When they don't I get worried... because it's usually those ones who have usually got some other scam, thievery, or hidden adultery issue going on....they are the ones who are the true wolves amongst the sheep.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I think that Matthew 7:21-23 and 1 Corinthians 9:27 apply.
Why not explain what you think those verses are telling us about how they relate to the subject at hand?

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Why not explain what you think those verses are telling us about how they relate to the subject at hand?
One might preach to others and yet be disqualified; one might do many wonderful works in the name of Jesus only to hear Him say, I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

In reference to post #26.