Am I supposed to ask God or Jesus for forgiveness?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Danielle1234

I have been asking God for forgiveness but God says that only through Jesus you will be forgiven. (or something like that) The part where I'm really confused is that God and Jesus and The Holy Spirit are all one God, so when I'm asking for forgiveness from God am I asking forgiveness from God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit or am I asking for forgiveness from God only? Who should I be asking for forgiveness from?

Feb 21, 2014
I have been asking God for forgiveness but God says that only through Jesus you will be forgiven. (or something like that) The part where I'm really confused is that God and Jesus and The Holy Spirit are all one God, so when I'm asking for forgiveness from God am I asking forgiveness from God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit or am I asking for forgiveness from God only? Who should I be asking for forgiveness from?
At the end of Matthew 28 (if you look it up) you'll see the Lord Jesus speaking of the Gospel Commission, when He refers to the name (one, singular) of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost (three Persons),

The Trinity is One God in three Persons; the three Divine Persons work together perfectly. For example, in John's Gospel - especially chapters 13 thru 17 - we read of Father, Son and Holy Spirit all working together in the work of redeeming sinners.

It's very important to realize one's need of forgiveness for our sins, and the Lord Jesus is the Savior who perfectly took upon Himself the sins of all who would believe in Him trustingly. John 3.16 is a wonderful summary of the Gospel of God's great, redeeming love for sinners.

Blessings.

Last edited:

jb

Feb 27, 2010
"God (I presume you mean God the Father), Jesus, and The Holy Spirit" are ALL God, so ALL can forgive sins!

If you feel at ease with asking Jesus for forgiveness then do so...see Matt 1v21,23, 9v2, John 1v1, 2Cor 13v14, Heb 8v12, 1John 1v9

Yahweh Shalom...

P

prodigal

Jesus said to ask the father in his name, he also forgave sin, God is your Father also, you can talk to him anytime,
remember Jesus is part of the trinity and so is the father, so address your prayers to the father or Jesus, and the holy spirit is the power that transforms our lifes, scripture suggest we honour the holy spirit but theres no biblical examples that i'm aware of that suggest anyone prayed to the holy spirit. If you have confessed your sin and turned from it then as a christian you are forgiven, now,, done,, finnished,,
john 8

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Jesus said to ask the father in his name, he also forgave sin, God is your Father also, you can talk to him anytime,
remember Jesus is part of the trinity and so is the father, so address your prayers to the father or Jesus, and the holy spirit is the power that transforms our lifes, scripture suggest we honour the holy spirit but theres no biblical examples that i'm aware of that suggest anyone prayed to the holy spirit. If you have confessed your sin and turned from it then as a christian you are forgiven, now,, done,, finnished,,
john 8

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
Have a look at Acts 28v25-27 (in conjunction with Isaiah 6), where Paul says that the Person that Isaiah is praying to and asking for his sin to be purged IS God the Holy Spirit!

The idea that God the Holy Spirit can't be prayed to is rather absurd as He IS God!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Danielle1234

Thank you so much for your answer. :)

P

prodigal

Have a look at Acts 28v25-27 (in conjunction with Isaiah 6), where Paul says that the Person that Isaiah is praying to and asking for his sin to be purged IS God the Holy Spirit!

The idea that God the Holy Spirit can't be prayed to is rather absurd as He IS God!

if you are gonna correct me i would appreciate it if you did it with scripture rather than personal opinion. the scriptures given dont if we're reading same bible .cheers

Last edited:
W

wwjd_kilden

as they said, talk to whichever you like :)
I personally tend to jump around, saying both God and Jesus several times during the same prayer

C

CEF

This is getting into the Trinity. You have God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit the are all the same God just with different names. Think about this w have three different names first, middle, and last but we are the same person well its the same for Gid. When you ask forgiveness you are asking God for forgiveness.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
if you are gonna correct me i would appreciate it if you did it with scripture rather than personal opinion. the scriptures given dont if we're reading same bible .cheers
Nothing wrong with my Scriptural quote (Acts 28v25-27 with Isaiah 6)!

However, to humour you have a look at Acts 13v1-4, which states the following:

"Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost...

God, the Holy Spirit in the Scriptures is also referred to as "Lord" (as is the other two members of the Trinity) and it clearly states that here they were ministering (which certainly included prayer) and fasting to the Lord and in response to their earnest seeking, God the Holy Spirit spoke to them and sent them them forth on their first Apostolic missionary journey!

Paul, Barnabus, Simeon, Lucius and Manaen certainly had NO problem whatsoever praying to God the Holy Spirit (as well as the other 2 members of the Trinity)!

Yahweh Shalom

M

MusicalDisciple

You ask God, in the name of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit intercedes (sort of like translating) for you. But, all the other posts are right, they are of one spirit and the name doesn't matter, what matters is the prayer and asking for forgiveness. You're doing good no matter what name you use, really, as long as your heart is in the right place.