Am I technically never allowed to be married or happy according to God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 15, 2009
But why can you interpret it as symbolism? Isn't the Word of God His law? According to His law, I have to marry my attacker because my life and my purity is only worth so much money..... I hate that part, but if I'm to become Christian, I have to follow all the parts of it, don't I?
I don't know where you're getting your information from. Nowhere actually does it say in the Old Testament that you have to marry someone who raped you, period. It does say if two single people consummate, they are to be married. What you're believing is a lie.

S

smithbr8

I don't know where you're getting your information from. Nowhere actually does it say in the Old Testament that you have to marry someone who raped you, period. It does say if two single people consummate, they are to be married. What you're believing is a lie.
Sorry, I thought Deuteronomy was in the OT.....
(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

How is this not forcing a woman to marry her attacker?

S

smithbr8

You yourself claim to be a "heathen" in your own public profile. Pagan is a synonym for heathen.
What???! So... it says I'm female as well, does that make me Mother Mary as well?

Aug 1, 2009

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Once you've done a thorough culture study, you'll understand that this command among others were actually intact to protect the woman.

After you do your culture study, you'll also need to do another study and understand that Christians are not Jews. Are you trying to follow Christianity or Judaism?

If you want to be a Jew, then live by the Old Testament, if you want to be a Christian, then live by the New Testament.

Best wishes on your studies.

Aug 15, 2009

I stand corrected. However, we are no longer bound to the OT law.

S

smithbr8

Once you've done a thorough culture study, you'll understand that this command among others were actually intact to protect the woman.

After you do your culture study, you'll also need to do another study and understand that Christians are not Jews. Are you trying to follow Christianity or Judaism?

If you want to be a Jew, then live by the Old Testament, if you want to be a Christian, then live by the New Testament.

Best wishes on your studies.
So, then if the OT doesn't apply anymore, why do we claim that we have to follow certain parts of it? If it still applies, then doesn't that rule still apply as well?

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Smithbr8, congratulations on your engagement. I wish you the best.

Aug 1, 2009
So, then if the OT doesn't apply anymore, why do we claim that we have to follow certain parts of it? If it still applies, then doesn't that rule still apply as well?
I'm not sure who is telling you that you still have to follow certain parts of it, but it doesn't really matter who is telling you. No one holds authority over what the scriptures say. The scriptures explain themselves as to what applies and what does not apply anymore:

Hebrews 8:13 In that He says, "A new [covenant]," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Learn what that means and study the context of that verse and you'll understand what applies and what doesn't anymore.

G

gracethroughfaith

smithbr8:
You must take this passage in context with with rest of what is being said. Your NLT miss represents the Word of God. I have included the passage in context below!

We see in verse 23 that a man that will lie with a virgin betrothed unto an husband, they both must be stoned that they die, verse 24.
How is this different than verse 25 the betrothed damsel is not killed but the man only. Why? Because in verse 25 the man forced the damsel, in verse 23 he did not force her, she concented she was not forced.
In verse 28 the man did not force the damsel/virgin it was concentual, just becasue he lay hold on her does not imply force.
The damsel/virgin in verse 28 lay willingly with the man, this is why the law of payment to the damsels father and marriage to the man was required.
I was made very clear that if a woman is forced to lie with a man HE is to be killed, not married to her.

Deuteronomy 22:23-29 (KJV)
23 If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;
24 Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you.
25 But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die:
26 But unto the damsel thou shalt do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man riseth against his neighbour, and slayeth him, even so is this matter:
27 For he found her in the field, and the betrothed damsel cried, and there was none to save her.
28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;
29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

G

gracethroughfaith

If you truly desire truth and understanding of God's Word please I pray you lay hold on a 1611 King James Bible. I know many people who have shared with me there experiance of not gaining understanding of God's word till they got rid of there bibles that were not 1611 King James Bible.
They have told me as soon as they got rid of there other bibles and began to study from the 1611 King James Bible there faith and understanding began to grow right away.
Please do not let the devil deceive you as he did Eve in the Garden of Eden with corrupt scripture that at face value appeared to be what God said but was not!
Give your heart to God and turn to him always to know what he said about any matter.

N

nathan3

Did you ignore totally the post . ? There is no way you can make that into rape in Deut as being acceptable . Your intentionally not reading the verse just before that that says anyone , no matter what, if they rape a women , the rapist is to be put to death as per God's comandment. No were dose it say rape is ok in the next verse... And even if it were stated that , which its not,, As God commanded, is unlawful and the man or that dose that, is to be put to death. Why are you intentally ignoring those scriptures ?

Deuteronomy 22 kvj
25 But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die.

26 But unto the damsel thou shalt do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man riseth against his neighbour, and slayeth him, even so is this matter:

27 For he found her in the field, and the betrothed damsel cried, and there was none to save her.

this applied to the following verses as well, not just were you want it to.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2012
Smith - Read my previous post on the translation of the verse. It is a law in order that a man repays his crime and gives the woman his life in service of her needs, however the point is to protect the woman. The point is an offering made by the man, but the woman needn't accept. She has choice.

although her acceptance would indicate forgiveness and both parties would be the better for it.

Also, pay special attention to the Hebrew words. There are many, many idioms in the old testament. Stories and images are used to teach moral practice, rather than literal teachings being used.

A lot of stuff isn't 'spelt out' the same when it's in English.

Ask yourself for instance; If Jesus was of Jewish teaching and used the Torah to teach, and fulfilled and abided by every Jewish law as GOD WOULD SEE FIT, and he certainly did not murder sinners, then what does the bible actually mean when it commands the 'putting to death' of someone for their sin?

Because i'll tell you a secret .. it certainly doesn't mean physically killing them.

Dec 6, 2012
The whole Torah/Old Testament is as valid today as ever, because Jesus FULFILLED it. The teachings are are personified perfectly by Jesus.

The whole book just needs to be studied right.

The OT is predominantly from Aramaic and Hebrew scripts and the New from Greek.

And both have undergone massive translation through Latin and different forms of Greek and so forth.