American revival

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

IQ

Here's a great quote:

True Revivals Are Never Staged

“This is serious business. Time is running out fast for all of us.

The greatest revival that swept America wasn’t staged. It wasn’t advertised. It wasn’t financially backed. It didn’t have broken down film stars and ex-footballers. It was in the ordinary course of a meeting, when Jonathan Edwards preached his sermon, “Sinners in the hands of an angry God.” There was nobody advertised. There was nobody projected.”
~ Leonard Ravenhill
So what shall we do, aside from pray sincerely for God to move? How can we be born again without someone to birth us? I am a woman, generally this sort of thing is done by men. The spiritual law of headship applies to the nation as well as the home. So I suppose the bet question for me is what can I do?

Jan 26, 2009
So what shall we do, aside from pray sincerely for God to move? How can we be born again without someone to birth us? I am a woman, generally this sort of thing is done by men. The spiritual law of headship applies to the nation as well as the home. So I suppose the bet question for me is what can I do?

IQ u can do what all child of God can, in ur knees call on him, start spending more time on knees than ever,good eg of that is hebrediz revival,revival birthed out of 2 elderly women and one of them was blind..
there is nothing we can do to see God move...

I

IQ

IQ u can do what all child of God can, in ur knees call on him, start spending more time on knees than ever,good eg of that is hebrediz revival,revival birthed out of 2 elderly women and one of them was blind..
there is nothing we can do to see God move...
I think I would need a partner of some type. You know the whole "whenever two or more of you are gathered together in my name" business.

Jan 26, 2009
I think I would need a partner of some type. You know the whole "whenever two or more of you are gathered together in my name" business.
U hav a good heart sis, praying with a partner is good,but in life there will be time where we walk alone,when u began to practise the presence of God when no one is watching n began to feed on his word its then personal revival starts to break,
Bless u muchly

A

AnandaHya

Ok many of you arent going to like what i have to say but here goes. I have been listening to sermons by a preacher by the name of Leonard Ravenhill lately and almost his whole ministry was about revival in America. Sadly, he didnt see it in his lifetime but he made some very good observations about it. The reason why we have no revival in this country is because we are too content to live without it. Sunday, probably almost all of us went to church and didnt even feel the presence of the Holy Spirit, most of us went there to hear a sermon rather than to hear from God. Evangelism is NOT the answer, I mean seriously we have more evangelists, preachers, teacher, and bishops in this country alone to make another country with them. We have more bible schools, seminaries, bible workshops, conventions, meetings, and conferences than any other country. The problem is that in order to have a Holy Ghost revival you have to have the Holy Ghost present. NOT a theology about Him or gifts or His fruits but Him. He has to come and take His abode with us in order for that to happen. We need to pray fervently for our church leaders because as Joel said they should be weeping between the porch and the altar for this country and the state that we are in. They should be in sack cloth and ashes before God but Armani doesnt make sack cloth and ashes wouldnt look good while delivering a message on prosperity. IF you want to hear something that might shake your faith listen to this sermon hopefully enlighten listen to this and bear in mind this sermon was given in the 1970s.

SermonAudio.com - Media Player
thank you for the sermon link :)

I think the problem is that people think Christianity is just another job or task to be done. it is a lifestyle not a personal relationship with Christ. It is a routine, not a heartfelt prayer and daily sacrifice of self on the altar of God's love.

people put on the robes and pretend to be Christians but in their heart and minds they are counting the minutes until they get back to "real life" and their own sinful lusts and desires. Instead of focusing on God and His grace, mercy, love and glory people focus on what THEY do and what THEY accomplish and not on what GOD has done and what GOD wants to be accomplished for His Glory.

People tend to focus on others or on themselves and not on GOD. People look outside, around themselves at others. People look inside, within themselves, but constantly people forget to look up and ask what GOD wants to be done. constantly people forget to give thanks for what has been done and instead they hand God a wishlist and a list of good deeds trying to bargain for God to grant their demands. constantly people forget to trust in God and instead feel they need to save the world and forget Jesus had already done that, we only need to tell people and remind people of the Truth.

IQ :) I'm glad you are seeking to help people remember Jesus in their lives. Sometimes as someone posted earlier. the best testimony is how we live our lives and love others we encounter. sometimes the best gift is the gift of listening and loving people despite their faults and hurts and brokenness. sometimes all we can do is pray and place it all in God hands and trust in His love and His guidance and listen and do what He tells us to do. May God bless, guide and keep you. :)

Jan 26, 2009
Leonard ravenill was a person who knew God in private place, in his biography it is said he probably prayed at least 6 hrs a day spent tym reading bible for hours,he has sparkled my luves to burn for God, its time to seek God n manifest that presence thru preachin to invade the hearts of men...

S

shiner500

I think anyone paying much attention at all pretty much knows that some sort of spiritual revival and/or renewal is desperately needed here in America.
Question...
What is the best way to accomplish this?
Thank-You
I believe the 2 things we should be doing is praying and evangelizing

phil36

Feb 12, 2009

I would pray and ask the Lord to lead you where He wants you... pary for your town, get others to pray for your town/neighbourhood with you.

Ask God to show you what he wants you t do.

our church started this a while back..starting with prayer, not just our church but others... we are starting to see God move now in our town, we even have south Korean missionaries arive and buy an Old Church of Scotland church... its open all day everyday..

You can go out an evangelize what ever way you feel lead, but I would say prayer comes first and plenty of it. And God will open the doors for his people to plant the gospel. It's all in God's time.

D

dmdave17

I think anyone paying much attention at all pretty much knows that some sort of spiritual revival and/or renewal is desperately needed here in America.
Question...
Thank-You
A lot of prayer, yes. But let's face it, a lot of political activism too. As Christians, we can no longer sit by on the sidelines and "hide our lights under a bushel".

That means finding (or becoming) political candidates whose values reflect the Christian perspective. It means actively supporting these candidates. And, of course, it means getting out and voting for them on election day; and getting all your friends, relatives and acquaintances to do the same. It also means voting against those politicians who have demonstrated that they do not espouse to Christian values.

Dr. Charles Stanley of In Touch Ministries has a particular prayer for those leaders I mentioned above; "Dear God, please change em or remove em.".

A

Abiding

what i see in the bible is only an apostacy(those who are attempting to start their own revival).....but surely God will add to the church daily such as should be saved

P

ProdigalSon

A lot of prayer, yes. But let's face it, a lot of political activism too. As Christians, we can no longer sit by on the sidelines and "hide our lights under a bushel".

That means finding (or becoming) political candidates whose values reflect the Christian perspective. It means actively supporting these candidates. And, of course, it means getting out and voting for them on election day; and getting all your friends, relatives and acquaintances to do the same. It also means voting against those politicians who have demonstrated that they do not espouse to Christian values.

Dr. Charles Stanley of In Touch Ministries has a particular prayer for those leaders I mentioned above; "Dear God, please change em or remove em.".
I only partially agree with you dave and this is meant in no disrespect but politics is enmity with Christianity. The two can never really agree. No prophet in the bible ever went to the kings and rulers except with judgment from God. The very nature of todays politics is getting the masses to agree,Christianity has and never will agree with the masses this is a narrow path and there are few that find it. John the baptist came and revolutionized a nation by going to the people not the rulers, in fact when he told Herod about his sin it cost him head. We need a voice crying in the wilderness not a echo sitting in the senate.

F

FireOnTheAltar

I have to agree with Eternally Grateful on this one, the church in America is simply too preoccupied with self / sin. Many within the church seem to think that just because they don't struggle with some serious sin issue that they're ok when the truth is that they are too preoccupied with their own lives and / or interests. The church overall doesn't even make an effort to seek God's heart concerning matters much less walk in the geniune anointing of the Holy Spirit to see the lost saved and oppressed delivered.

Last edited:
F

FireOnTheAltar

thank you for the sermon link :)

I think the problem is that people think Christianity is just another job or task to be done. it is a lifestyle not a personal relationship with Christ. It is a routine, not a heartfelt prayer and daily sacrifice of self on the altar of God's love.

people put on the robes and pretend to be Christians but in their heart and minds they are counting the minutes until they get back to "real life" and their own sinful lusts and desires. Instead of focusing on God and His grace, mercy, love and glory people focus on what THEY do and what THEY accomplish and not on what GOD has done and what GOD wants to be accomplished for His Glory.

People tend to focus on others or on themselves and not on GOD. People look outside, around themselves at others. People look inside, within themselves, but constantly people forget to look up and ask what GOD wants to be done. constantly people forget to give thanks for what has been done and instead they hand God a wishlist and a list of good deeds trying to bargain for God to grant their demands. constantly people forget to trust in God and instead feel they need to save the world and forget Jesus had already done that, we only need to tell people and remind people of the Truth.

IQ :) I'm glad you are seeking to help people remember Jesus in their lives. Sometimes as someone posted earlier. the best testimony is how we live our lives and love others we encounter. sometimes the best gift is the gift of listening and loving people despite their faults and hurts and brokenness. sometimes all we can do is pray and place it all in God hands and trust in His love and His guidance and listen and do what He tells us to do. May God bless, guide and keep you. :)
Great word and so very true!

May 21, 2009
Question...
Thank-You
On your knees.

Scotty

Feb 10, 2010
If one wants to start a revival they need to start with themselves.

Jan 26, 2009
Everyone is after revival and not after the one who revives...guys we can have an unending talks on revival,unending scriptures on revival,unending services on revival and call this is that..my only concern abt myself is am i seeking him or am i looking for something from him..
Whats our devotion life like,is it alive or has it just become a tradition or a form that we have to do it to havea good day..We were never called to sleep but to seek,never call to pray for revival but to walk in it..not to be burdened by the things of this word but to be over shadowed my God walk in the fullness of Joy yet humble,
Only the thing that is more than giving him a service is our personal walk with him not when men are watching but when we are in that place where no man is watching..
History shows revival break hea and thea thru a weeping men and women seeking God but they are all the stories of the old,its time for someone to fal on the knees,will it be u and me or are we just talking about prayer that can revive a nation..lets start today..don seek revival seek him and everything wil flow thru our personal walk with God.
Philippians 1:19-20 For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.

F

FireOnTheAltar

Everyone is after revival and not after the one who revives....
You hit the nail on the head right then and there. Both the problem and the solution in a single sentence. The Lord is good! lol