An Observation on 2 Corinthians 5:17

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ric2019

Apr 2, 2019
While reading through today's small group lesson, a passage caught my attention. It was 2 Corinthians 5:17. I have read this passage many times, but two NT Greek Verbs caught my attention.

One Greek verb (transliterated - parerchomai) is translated into English as "passed away" refering to old things in the life of one who is now in Christ. The other Greek verb (transliterated - genomai) is translated "he has become" refering to a new creature (or new creation).

What struck me about these two verbs is that the first verb "parerchomai" is in the Greek aorist tense which means that the action of the verb is simply stating that what passed away simply happened and was completed. The verb does not reveal the duration of the action. It could be a moment in time or a life time. The aorist tense is simply communicating that the "passing away of old things" is a completed action.

However when we come to the other Greek verb, instead of being in the Greek aorist tense, it is in the Greek perfect tense. This means that the action of "becoming new" started at some point in time (which would be whenever we started in Christ) but continues and continues and continues and so on to become new. There is not the sense of a completed action, as there is with the aorist tense, but it is ongoing and continuous.

I believe most English Bible translations are trustworthy on this verse. But seeing it in the New Testament Greek elevates the significance of this passage to what it means to be "in Christ." We don't simply exchange an old lamp for a new one, but as a new creature or creation, life in Christ is continually fresh and continually comes new to us.

*As a disclaimer I don't have the credentials of someone who has mastered the New Testament Greek language in college or seminary, but I have taken a class for laymen where I learned the ancient Greek and Hebrew alphabet, some grammar basics for each, and how to use Greek and Hebrew language tools, such as analyticals, lexicons, interlinears, concordances, and textual commentaries.

Jun 10, 2019
Could be one in the same, in verse 19 says reconciled seems to be of a completed action or is reconciled a on going action.

Ric2019

Apr 2, 2019
JamOn,

Thanks for the comment. Since we have never met, I hope that I am not sharing information that you already looked into. If I am, I apologize in advance.

I looked at 2 Corinthians 5:19 in "The New Greek-English Interlinear New Testament" by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
The Greek New Testament word translated as "reconciling" is "katallasson." The word "katallasson" is a verb but in this verse in the Greek it is used as a present participle.

Present (the tense) means that the action is usually continuous or ongoing. I do not believe this grammatical construction contains the idea that the reconciliation of the world to God is a completed action.

I find that sometimes a closer examination of a verse in the New Testament Greek can open up a greater appreciation of what the inspired text is communicating. It doesn't guarantee an answer to every question I may have about a verse. I do find New Testament Greek verbs, in particular, interesting because unlike English, Greek verbs can express an action or state of being in many more ways than can be done in English. I noticed that it is not unusual for words to be added (often in italics) in our English translations for words not in the New Testament Greek manuscripts so as to accommodate these differences between the New Testament Greek and English languages.

Having said all of this, I believe most of this information can be found in a good English translation of the Bible and perhaps a trustworthy New Testament Greek commentary without a deep dive into New Testament Greek.

Shekinahglory

Aug 29, 2019
I have not been in this section before and felt moved to check it out and what a blessing. Thank you.