Any denomination ....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 23, 2011
"Any denomination or theological tradition has its outstanding

saints, and Orthodoxy is no exception. Protestants eager to

dismiss an Orthodox Christian's claim to have a personal

relationship with God through Christ, or to dismiss Orthodoxy

because of its political history, would do well to recall the many

Orthodox saints like Father Alexander Men, Dmitrii Dudko, and

countless unknown and unnamed martyrs who suffered and

died for their faith under Soviet atheism. ...." [page 144:

Eastern Orthodox Christianity: A Western Perspective. by

Daniel B. Clendenin. (1994). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book/

Baker Book House Co.].

Apr 13, 2011
What is the purpose of this thread?

Nov 23, 2011
Robert A. Morey denies that Eastern Orthodox are Christians. Why?
He is listed on the internet as involved in some sort of scandal.

The Saint Augustinian Criminal Fraud and Slander Routinely Saintaugustinian.blogspot.com/....criminal-fraud-slander-routinely.html

Saintaugustinian.blogspot.com/..../dr-robert-moreys-fraudulent-extortion.html

Apr 13, 2011
Again, what is the purpose of this thread?

Nov 23, 2011
Again, what is the purpose of this thread?

What's your purpose in asking me what's the purpose. I just have the purpose to say the Orthodox Church is America's best kept secret. Some people know more about Judaism than they do about Eastern Orthodoxy. Or more about Luther than they do about Catholicism. But what they "know" (believe) about Luther IS NOT SO! Some people WRONGLY BELIEVE that Eastern Orthodoxy is just Roman Catholicism WITHOUT THE POPE OF ROME. TOTALLY, COMPLETELY WRONG!
A BIG MISTAKE! SEE JOHN 15:26!

R

RachelBibleStudent

What's your purpose in asking me what's the purpose. I just have the purpose to say the Orthodox Church is America's best kept secret. Some people know more about Judaism than they do about Eastern Orthodoxy. Or more about Luther than they do about Catholicism. But what they "know" (believe) about Luther IS NOT SO! Some people WRONGLY BELIEVE that Eastern Orthodoxy is just Roman Catholicism WITHOUT THE POPE OF ROME. TOTALLY, COMPLETELY WRONG!
A BIG MISTAKE! SEE JOHN 15:26!

the irony is that eastern orthodoxists claim that roman catholics and protestants are the same...while roman catholics claim that eastern orthodoxists and protestants are the same...and protestants see eastern orthodoxists and roman catholics as practically the same...

maybe we are -all- the same... :eek:

S

systemdown101

the irony is that eastern orthodoxists claim that roman catholics and protestants are the same...while roman catholics claim that eastern orthodoxists and protestants are the same...and protestants see eastern orthodoxists and roman catholics as practically the same...

Well, when I was a Jew, yeah, I would have said they're all the same, so yeah. In fact, I kind of find it difficult to tell all the denominations apart, honestly. I would have called the differences in belief structures minor differences of opinion. I still think that way to a large degree. I guess you need to have been an outsider at one point to really understand.

M

MaggieMye

But the question is WHO CARES??? If people would get off of their denominational soap boxes and simply be a part of the BODY OF CHRIST, the CHURCH, the world would be a better place and the BRIDE would be more ready for her Lord

Maggie

L

Laodicea

But the question is WHO CARES??? If people would get off of their denominational soap boxes and simply be a part of the BODY OF CHRIST, the CHURCH, the world would be a better place and the BRIDE would be more ready for her Lord

Maggie
Are you saying that people should give up their doctrine to be a part of the body of Christ?

Nov 23, 2011

Maggie

There is no Body of Christ, the Church, separate from and different from visible geographic Church History. It didn't begin in 1054. It didn't begin in 1517. I began in 30 AD. And it was Greek speaking from the start. Hence, Greek Orthodox Church.
It spread into other languages. Its original members were Jews, and thus Hebrew and Aramaic speaking. And using Greek to write the NT.
The Truth is the Truth, even if nobody cares enough to believe the Truth.

Nov 23, 2011

John 15:26. EOC believes this verse. Most Catholics and Protestants don't believe this, but add "AND THE SON". So no, we are all NOT necessarily the same, unless we start toward unity by believing John 15:26!

B

Bloodwashed

John 15:26. EOC believes this verse. Most Catholics and Protestants don't believe this, but add "AND THE SON". So no, we are all NOT necessarily the same, unless we start toward unity by believing John 15:26!
Quote that verse for me Scott. I just looked at it in the NKJB, & I looked at it in The Concordant Literal. Neither says " and The Son."--Mark--

Nov 23, 2011
Quote that verse for me Scott. I just looked at it in the NKJB, & I looked at it

in The Concordant Literal. Neither says " and The Son."--Mark-

-

Dear Bloodwashed:
Here's how I would state John 15:26 in my attempt at paraphrasing it: But when the Comforter is come, Whom I shall send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of Truth, Who proceedeth from the Father, He shall give testimony regarding Me.

True. This verse does not say "and the Son", or "and (from) the Son". The Roman Catholics all add "and the Son" to the Creed of Nicea/Constantinople of 381 AD. The Lutherans add "and the Son". The Presbyterians/Reformed/Calvinists add "and the Son". The Methodists add "and the Son". Some other Christians add "and the Son". This verse in John 15:26 DOES NOT HAVE THE HERETICAL WORDS "AND THE SON".
Scott in Erie PA

S

savageblogger2

OldOrthodoxChristian, I looked through each of my Bibles - KJV, NASV, NIV, and others - and none of them had "and the Son." See this parallel reference; no references to "and the Son" at all.

It wouldn't be necessary, nor strictly heretical; Jesus said "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30), so anything that proceeds from the Father also proceeds from the son; the stridency with which you try to make this point is slightly misplaced, because it rests on a statement that is easily shown to be incorrect.

I'm still not sure what the point of this thread is, either - you set up a straw man, and completely demolished it, sure, but... the straw man relied on a translation saying something that it ... doesn't actually say.

Feb 9, 2010
It is like we cannot judge a race because of a few that do wrong and say they are all bad,we cannot judge all the people of a denomination,because a few do wrong,and say they are all bad.

But we can judge a denomination by it's essential teachings,if they are that far out of place,and say they are not doing right,but when it comes to a denomination that has violence in it towards unbelievers,not condoned by Christ,for He said be harmless as doves,and turn and walk away,and turn the other cheek,then there would be some people of that denomination that would not go along with the violence,but still believe their teachings.

Of the denomination that people believe their teachings are right,quite a few of those people would not go along with violence towards other people,but they will still stick around because they believe they are right,but if the denomination does not have the love of Christ why would they stick around.

Feb 9, 2010
I do not care about reputation points,because I know there are different beliefs of people,so not everybody will agree with you,but OldOrthodoxChristian cannot get at least one reputation point.If you accept Christ you should at least get one reputation point.