Any one have a good DIABETIC Blue Berry pie recipe?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JeniBean

I love to BAKE!!!! I have a friend that annually I have made a blue berry pie for on his birthday. However he has told me he is diabetic now. So wondering if anyone has made and eaten a low/no sugar blueberry pie and could share the recipe.

Thank you!

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
If a person bakes a pie without sugar, stone them on the spot.
2 Opinions 2:9

D

didymos

So you wanna stone my mother in law to death hu? She makes an awful applepie, but that seems a bit harsh.

J

JeniBean

So you wanna stone my mother in law to death hu? She makes an awful applepie, but that seems a bit harsh.
If you ever come to Florida I will make you an apple pie that everyone who says they hate apple pie loves. It has won many ribbons.

J

JeniBean

Funny! However a diabetic can't have the amount of sugar that goes in pies!

mochi

May 26, 2015
how about subtitute sugar with stevia?? natural sweetener 200x more sweet than sugar and good for diabetic.. but i never try it..
isn't pie using all purpose flour?? can diabetic eat that?? carbohydrates?? calories?? sigh.. i dont have any idea.. huftt..

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Honey is a natural sweetener. Use that or stevia for sweetener. :)

S

skylove7

Wild Canadian blueberries are amazing Blue!
I only remember them when I was 5, but we met a man who had a terrible bear claw scar....I remember him telling mom, he was attacked over blueberries.

Me gots a love for anything blueberry since lol

Sounds yum!

D

didymos

If you ever come to Florida I will make you an apple pie that everyone who says they hate apple pie loves. It has won many ribbons.
I believe you, but maybe I should send my mother in law instead. :)

A

atwhatcost

I love to BAKE!!!! I have a friend that annually I have made a blue berry pie for on his birthday. However he has told me he is diabetic now. So wondering if anyone has made and eaten a low/no sugar blueberry pie and could share the recipe.

Thank you!
Hubby and I are both diabetic. Buy Splenda. (Knock-off varieties of the same product are better, if they're on your grocery shelf. Hubby prefers those over Splenda for adding sweetener to his coffee because it melts faster.) It's as sweet as sugar without the problems of sugar and measures just like sugar.

The only thing it can't do that sugar does is caramelize.

A

atwhatcost

Honey is a natural sweetener. Use that or stevia for sweetener. :)
Yes, but honey has the same bad things in it as sugar. (I have no idea what they're called. I simply learned what I can and can't eat anymore. lol)

Stevia is good, but it doesn't measure the same because it's much sweeter than sugar.

A

atwhatcost

how about subtitute sugar with stevia?? natural sweetener 200x more sweet than sugar and good for diabetic.. but i never try it..
isn't pie using all purpose flour?? can diabetic eat that?? carbohydrates?? calories?? sigh.. i dont have any idea.. huftt..
Yes. We can eat carbs. We have to watch out how much, but we can. (Carbs! That's the word I can't remember.) The shell isn't half as bad as sugar.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I tried stevia but didn't like it so I stick to splenda or something. They make sugar free blueberry pies but the issue is that it isn't sweet even when you put splenda in it, the crust also has no flavor what so ever. Regular honey is actually very high in glucose which raises blood sugar just like normal sugar and then of course carbs while not as bad as sugar turns into sugar.

Sugar free stuff is the best alternative for us diabetics but aspartame is the main thing in sugar free stuff and supposively it is a very dangerous thing but I have been taking in that stuff for years and have yet to find it dangerous

A

atwhatcost

I tried stevia but didn't like it so I stick to splenda or something. They make sugar free blueberry pies but the issue is that it isn't sweet even when you put splenda in it, the crust also has no flavor what so ever. Regular honey is actually very high in glucose which raises blood sugar just like normal sugar and then of course carbs while not as bad as sugar turns into sugar.

Sugar free stuff is the best alternative for us diabetics but aspartame is the main thing in sugar free stuff and supposively it is a very dangerous thing but I have been taking in that stuff for years and have yet to find it dangerous
I thought I married a guy without a sweet tooth. And then I made some pumpkin muffins but accidentally doubled the amount of Splenda. (Didn't feel like making a double batch, so I let it go and kept making them.) He confessed it was the first time he truly loved the pumpkin muffins.

So, moral of the story: If it ain't sweet enough, add more Splenda until it is. lol

And, don't worry about the crust not being sweet. It's not supposed to be. That's the beauty of pie -- some sweet and some not-sweet. The crust just holds the filling in. Kind of the same reason most folks add jam to their biscuits or rolls -- it's not sweet without the jam, but it's easier to eat it that way. (I've tried eating jam right out of the jar. Messy on the fingers.
)

Also, diabetic to diabetic -- watch out for sugar-free chocolate candy. (Chocolate covered turtles, and bite size chocolate candy bars. Sugar-free Wuerthers chocolate chewies are safe and taste like Tootsie Rolls. Yumyum!) It's often made from sweetened oils, which does terrible things later to the gut. (We used to get sick in the afternoon on Easter. lol)