Any Songwriters in here?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Chizuka

Are there any songwriters in here? Would you say that songwriting and poetry are similar?

U

Ugly

When i was younger i used to write what i intended to be lyrics. I would show people and they called them poems. So, if you mean from a lyrical standpoint of songwriting, yes, either can often be used in either fashion. Though, personally i think Most lyrics are less interchangeable into poetry. But it's not uncommon to see poetry set to music.

K

kenisyes

I have a lot of trouble trying to set poems (such as in the poetry section at CC) to music. The music requires certain form and structure that are not the object of poetry. When song lyrics are posted as poems, they must be carefully chosen, since in most cases, the music carries part of the emotional message, and the words alone seem "naked" by comparison.

L

LT

yes, like kenisyes said, lyrics can sometimes be left lifeless without the music.
I tried posting lyrics to one of my songs on here as a poem, and Ukorin was able to immediately spot it.
I did some research and found that modern music depends on changing meter in the lyrics to keep it musically interesting, and modern lyrics depend on set musical meter to maintain structure.
If you notice the music is very very steady, then it is likely modern. If you notice the words don't follow a set meter, but have set ends for each line, they are likely modern lyrics.

D

Dorea

You took my life and you gave me a second
Without you my Lord, I'd be lost.
You gave me love, when I did not get enough,
Without you my Lord, I'd still be lost.

But you found me in my darkest hour,
You found me hiding in my little shell,
You found me, when I was about to give up on myself.

E

eminemjrxx

rap and slam poetry style poems r the most similar but it depends wot sort of song and wot sort of poem ur comparin