I have Gauges to, however i did not simply run off the wagon to get them. I researched in depth what the bible had to say about both piercings and tattoos in general. 90% of Christians will refer to Leviticus 19:28 KJV " Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I
am the LORD."however the verse clearly says "For the dead"
In those days if we study our history you can see that they cut themselves as a form of punishing themselves for their sin. That is the ONLY reason why God told them NOT to do these things. However God was very specific on why they cut themselves, but he was general when it came to getting markings. Also many Christians fail to follow the other verses in that same chapter such as not cutting your hair or wearing clothing of a certain fabric. I feel that as Christians we can't nitpick scripture and point out 1 verse as we ignore the other 9 verses. I did however find A LOT of verses that support piercings. If piercings were not of GOD than how could God have accepted them as offerings for something SO holy as to offer it to God? KJV In numbers 35 verse 22 mentioned the following: [SUP]22[/SUP]
And they came, both men and women, as many as were willing hearted, and brought bracelets, and earrings, and rings, and tablets, all jewels of gold: and every man that offered offered an offering of gold unto the LORD. The key here is to understand that BOTH men AND women gave piercings as offerings to God. Clearly God did not have a problem with Piercings if he accepted them as offers.
KJV In Ezekiel 16 verses 11-13 God clearly states his view on jewelry and piercings referring to them as ornaments.
[SUP]11[/SUP]
I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck.
[SUP]12[/SUP]
And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head.
[SUP]13[/SUP]
Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom.
Now when to gauges, they originated by originating from indigenous peoples. Tribes in various countries in Africa, Eurasia, America and other indigenous lands have practiced the ritual of ear stretching for cultural, religious and traditional purposes. Like all humans they wished to decorate themselves it seems natural to mankind. However because they did not have the luxury of gold and good craftsmen they used Bone, horn, wood, and stone were generally carved for ear stretching, but other organic materials that had the right shape naturally, from shells to teeth and claws, were also used. These are the same as piercings and viewed the same as decorations, for lack of better words it was the poor version of piercings unlike the Egyptians who had craftsmen indigenous people used what they had around them naturally being bigger and not knowing how to shrink it, it became part of their culture to use large objects thus stretching the ear.
Now when it comes to Tattoos it becomes tricky, we have to understand that when the bible is not clear on something we have to apply common sense to the matter at hand. Our body is a temple clearly stated in the bible. God stated he saw jewelry and piercings as ornaments on the temple (our bodies) there is nothing written that states he feels the same way about tattoos. This the reason i do not have them, what I’m about to say next is in no way scripture it is my opinion, this is my common sense applied. I personally see this in comparison to a house, you have your house and like everyone’s home you wish to decorate it. In the same way we decorate ourselves with jewelry. Now let’s say someone came over to your house and spray painted the walls you worked hard on painting. Would you call that decoration? In the same way how would God feel if we inked the surface of our skins he worked so hard on creating? Took his time with every detail, it is scientifically proven no human not even in family has the same finger print. If God took the time to make such a tiny detail so unique would he call tattoos decoration? Another thing to keep in mind, something I personally apply to my life. If I am not sure about something it still doesn’t give me the right to go on and do it, simply because I am unsure. If I am unsure about something than I simply won’t do it JUST IN CASE it does in fact upset the God we serve? It is better to be safe than sorry, just a thought pray over it, and allow the Holy Spirit to guide your next decision. Hopes this helps x) PS: sorry for the novel.