Apologetics - Defending The Faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AprilJ

Mar 25, 2014
I had a friend of mine, who is Muslim, ask this question:

"How could it have been three days and three nights between when Jesus died and was resurrected? Any way that you look at it, it was not 3 days plus 3 nights."

I welcome all plausible answers to this question. I KnOw that my Redeemer lives, and in the end, I will see God. But, my friend does not have that reassurance.

Please help me to answer my friend.

Mar 27, 2014
I had a friend of mine, who is Muslim, ask this question:

"How could it have been three days and three nights between when Jesus died and was resurrected? Any way that you look at it, it was not 3 days plus 3 nights."

I welcome all plausible answers to this question. I KnOw that my Redeemer lives, and in the end, I will see God. But, my friend does not have that reassurance.

Please help me to answer my friend.
I don't believe a morning would constitute a full day. I think it might've been more a literal 72-hour period.

K

Kefa54

I am wondering if the confusion is that a Jewish days started at sun down?

[FONT=ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF]With Christ's definition of time before us, the picture snaps into clear focus. Speaking prophetically of His own death and resurrection, He said, "To day (crucifixion) and to morrow (in tomb), and the third day (resurrection) I shall be perfected" (Luke 13:32). There are all three days in their sequence. Even though He died in the late afternoon, the entire day would be counted as the first day. The second day would span the Sabbath when He slept in the tomb. Even though He was resurrected in the early hours on the third day, inclusive reckoning would make it one of the three days. Thus, Friday, Saturday and Sunday = Three Days!

Kefa
[/FONT]

AprilJ

Mar 25, 2014
Yes, but then how do we understand why Scripture tells us it would be 3 days and 3 nights? I believe the Scriptures are inerrant. So, let's reason and figure this out...

Sp I may answer my friend who does not know Jesus.

Feb 21, 2014
Yes, but then how do we understand why Scripture tells us it would be 3 days and 3 nights? I believe the Scriptures are inerrant. So, let's reason and figure this out...

Sp I may answer my friend who does not know Jesus.
It may depends on how the days are calculated. The Jewish day was said to begin at the beginning of the night.

Some have even argued that the Lord Jesus was crucified on a Thursday.

Mar 27, 2014
Day and night haven't always been as we know them today. Jewish timekeeping and calendars were not the ones we currently possess.