Approval Isn't Sober

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Blade_chick

Let moments have a voice alone.
Stop trying to manipulate time with your desire,
or it will slip down your throat like sore vodka.
Healing has more purpose than patches and destination.
Offer your swelling left ear, the one that's bloodshot
and spreading bruised sound into your jaw and the veins in your neck.
Life isn't a goal for death.
You weren't born for that satin coffin after your broken watch.
Eyes are like typewriters soaking in fleeting daylight
Gathering risk
and holding its tongue.
Approval isn't sober,
it's a riddle with fish hooks holding your lighthouse home.
Home? Can such supernatural exist?
Can a soft hand remind damage that love is beyond skin?
Can my hands be pockets for real love?
I hide myself because I feel that's the only way to feel wanted.
My self infliction the same.
It breaks away from routine... but becomes one eventually...
Longfellow and I shook hands through symphony pages,
he sung me peace and said
"Life is real! Life is earnest! And the grave is not its goal."

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Hmmm... I don't understand all of this. Are you ok? Just reading some of the bottom bit. A desire to hide away to see if people notice you are gone? Feel free to reply in pm, or not :). I may have misunderstood this - and it does end positively.

B

Blade_chick

Yay questions :D This makes me excited.
This poem is basically my current Psalm. I've really been going through a lot of traumatic events lately and I've been struggling with bottling everything inside, so instead of staying stuck in the maze of my mind, I decided to reflect on the problems, I decided to let them resurface so that I can start the process of letting them go. Realization is always he first step. So I dove into my journal, some poetry, Psalm 16 & 51, and some Jon Foreman the other night to reflect on the sore thoughts that have been crammed in my mind. It was great to accept how broken I was in a healthy way for the first time in a while. Just pray for me that these songs of hope will increase in a crescendo.
I broke down this poem piece by piece for you, I hope you like it =]

Let moments have a voice alone: What I mean by this is I'm always trying to plan out my actions and reactions before the future even plays out because I want things to go a certain way, so I can stay safe from risk, but the more I try to keep it together the more it'll fall apart.

or it will slip down your throat like sore vodka:
I think I chose vodka because it tastes strong but it makes you weak, you feel power in weakness but your not walking in reality. (I don't drink by the way, I just like metaphors. haha :p)

Healing has more purpose than patches and destination:
This pretty much explains itself, but for me personally I keep thinking if I'm healed then I'm indestructible, I feel like that once I'm healed that's my purpose and I won't ever get hurt again. Not only that, healing isn't safe, it involves risk. My purpose is not my destination.

Offer your swelling left ear, the one that's bloodshot
and spreading bruised sound into your jaw and the veins in your neck.:
So as you can see this poem is very personal for me. I said my left ear because I'm losing my hearing in my left ear, but I say I want to offer it because I want to know there is still music through pain, even if I can't hear it clearly. Life isn't a goal for death.
You weren't born for that satin coffin after your broken watch.:
This is the key, I have to keep reminding myself that I don't live for death. I die to live in humility, but I wasn't born for death.
Eyes are like typewriters soaking in fleeting daylight
Gathering risk
and holding its tongue. :
So I don't know if you've ever done this, but if you're sitting next to someone in a car and you watch their eyes while they're looking out a window, their eyes shift really fast. So I pictured someone gathering the information around them with their eyes like typewriters. This is what I do everyday, I watch everyone live so I feel like I've lived more than once because I watch them, but I haven't had the strength to live my own story so I hold the tongue of my desire to be free because risk is frightening.Approval isn't sober,: Approval from other people is fleeting, it's liquid. I struggle with trying to feel approved by everyone. But even though I have friends and people who approve of me, it doesn't mean they'll always approve of what I do, they won't always approve of who I am either. So therefore I shouldn't try to hydrate myself with acceptance of people all the time; I keep making them my idols and it tears me apart. I want to trust in who God is because He is always who He says He is despite my feelings. (Simple but not easy.)

it's a riddle with fish hooks holding your lighthouse home.:
Like I said above, approval isn't solid. It's a never ending riddle or maze and penetrates me with emptiness. I chose a lighthouse because I've convinced myself of the lie that acceptance is the only hope out there.

Home? Can such supernatural exist?
Can a soft hand remind damage that love is beyond skin?
Can my hands be pockets for real love?:
This is the part of the poem where I asked myself if a real home exists, one that is soft and real. If healing is real. Am I really free to accept unconditional love? I was basically asking God if it's possible to accept such love.

I hide myself because I feel that's the only way to feel wanted.
My self infliction the same.
It breaks away from routine... but becomes one eventually...:
So I've always struggled with isolation. I was admitting to myself that I struggle with it because of pride. Isolation for me is like a funeral without dying. I try to hide from people so they will miss me, so that they will actually talk to me and ask how I really am. It's another loophole to find acceptance. Longfellow and I shook hands through symphony pages,
he sung me peace and said
"Life is real! Life is earnest! And the grave is not its goal." :
I was reading the poem "A Psalm Of Life" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and he was talking about how life isn't empty, and how it's worth more than just feelings.

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Thanks Bladechick, sorry for taking ages to reply.

That's lovely. :) Very deep and very meaningful.

It's so strange how we feel like (and sometimes do) need others approval and affirmation sometimes. It is very interesting what you say about hiding away to want approval... To know someone cares about you. :) It's hard sometimes... we wonder if we didn't make the effort whether people would make the effort for us. And people suck and often do a very bad job of loving one another.

You can be healed and we are healed over time, but some things are things we need to deal with for life, some scars last forever and new pain will come. But it's ok, it's ok to be broken. God loves broken people. :)

Feel free to pm me or say hi if you see me on chat!