Archaeological Evidence for the Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 14, 2013
That they are! Definitely An amazing achievement whoever created them.

I thought the whole crop circle thing was dropped 20 years ago. Crop Circle creators are now viewed as artists and some even do requests.

Hats off to them. I can just about draw a normal circle lol

Mar 11, 2011
Where did I ever say I was uncertain? You obviously haven't read any of my posts
No, I guess I haven't read any of your posts; I got the point of you not being certain, through your profile.

I have my profile as not Christian, but I also state why.

Mar 11, 2011
That they are! Definitely An amazing achievement whoever created them.

I thought the whole crop circle thing was dropped 20 years ago. Crop Circle creators are now viewed as artists and some even do requests.

Hats off to them. I can just about draw a normal circle lol
You know, you seem to check things out properly, about as well as church going Christians study their Bible. What a superficial response.

There is much better info on this phenomenon, other than on the video presented. It was to que a persons interest, if one cares to.

To discredit it the way that you have, just illuminates your ignorance.

I'm really quite certain that some retard somewhere has attempted to copy the un-explained ones, what else is new? :rolleyes:

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Getting back to the OP, this is a fascinating topic. Before archeology, most of the Bible and various Greek and Roman stories were thought of as myths because there was no evidence. Now archeology is instrumental in showing that names really existed, and dates have been provided, care of inscriptions and writings.

Now evidence does not give you faith, but it sure confirms that the Bible or for that matter Troy and Schliemann

1320: Section 4: Schliemann and Troy

As for my favorite archeological discovery that confirms the BIBLE:
An inscription concerning the proconsul of Achaia and the city of Corinth, which was found which allows scholars to date the New Testament with better accuracy. Plus it proves that Acts 18:12-17 is not about an imaginary person, but instead, about a real Roman ruler that Paul was brought before.
"But when Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews made a united attack on Paul and brought him before the tribunal, [SUP]13 [/SUP]saying, “This man is persuading people to worship God contrary to the law.” [SUP]14 [/SUP]But when Paul was about to open his mouth, Gallio said to the Jews, “If it were a matter of wrongdoing or vicious crime, O Jews, I would have reason to accept your complaint. [SUP]15 [/SUP]But since it is a matter of questions about words and names and your own law, see to it yourselves. I refuse to be a judge of these things.” [SUP]16 [/SUP]And he drove them from the tribunal. [SUP]17 [/SUP]And they all seized Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue, and beat him in front of the tribunal. But Gallio paid no attention to any of this." Acts 18:12-17

"Marianne Bonz, the former managing editor of the Harvard Theological Review, shed some light on a now-famous inscription concerning Gallio. She recounted how, in 1905, a doctoral student in Paris was sifting through a collection of inscriptions that had been collected from the Greek city of Delphi. In these various inscriptions, he found four different fragments that, when put together, formed a large portion of a letter from the Emperor Claudius. The letter from the emperor was written to none other than Gallio, the proconsul of Achaia (Bonz, 1998, p. 8).McRay, in giving the Greek portions of this now-famous inscription, and supplying missing letters in the gaps of the text to make it legible, translated it as follows:
Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Pontifex Maximus, of tribunician authority for the twelfth time, imperator twenty-sixth time.… Lucius Junius Gallio, my friend, and the proconsul of Achaia (1991, pp. 226- 227).​
And while certain portions of the above inscription are not entirely clear, the name of Gallio and his office in Achaia are clearly legible. Not only did Luke accurately record the name of Gallio, but he likewise recorded his political office with equal precision.
The importance of the Gallio inscription goes even deeper than verification of Luke’s accuracy. This particular find shows how archaeology can give us a better understanding of the biblical text, especially in areas of chronology. Most scholars familiar with the travels and epistles of the apostle Paul will readily admit that attaching specific dates to his activities remains an exceedingly difficult task. The Gallio inscription, however, has added a piece to this chronological puzzle. Jack Finegan, in his detailed work on biblical chronology, dated the inscription to the year [SIZE=-1]A.D.[/SIZE] 52, Gallio’s proconsulship in early [SIZE=-1]A.D.[/SIZE] 51, and Paul’s arrival in Corinth in the winter of [SIZE=-1]A.D.[/SIZE] 49/50. Finegan stated concerning his conclusion: “This determination of the time when Paul arrived in Corinth thus provides an important anchor point for the entire chronology of Paul” (1998, pp. 391- 393)."

This link has other interesting archeological information, the one above is found about half way down the link.

https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=13&article=1420

For those interested in really digging deeper into archeology, and not just nonsense about giants and nephilim, the following books are quite good in explaining the time, context, religion and archeological finds which confirm the Bible.

John McRay, Archaeology and the New Testament, Baker Academic 1991.

Ed. Amnon Ben-Tor, The Archaeology of Ancient Israel, The Open University of Israel, 1992.

Sep 14, 2013
You know, you seem to check things out properly, about as well as church going Christians study their Bible. What a superficial response.

There is much better info on this phenomenon, other than on the video presented. It was to que a persons interest, if one cares to.

To discredit it the way that you have, just illuminates your ignorance.

I'm really quite certain that some retard somewhere has attempted to copy the un-explained ones, what else is new? :rolleyes:
This forum continually amazes me. And in the last few days this place has had a hate campaign against lord of the rings and Harry potter... and now people are saying crop circles are real!

What's next?

G

Graybeard

This forum continually amazes me. And in the last few days this place has had a hate campaign against lord of the rings and Harry potter... and now people are saying crop circles are real!

What's next?
crop circles are real...do you thing it is a work of photoshop?

Mar 11, 2011
Getting back to the OP, this is a fascinating topic. Before archeology, most of the Bible and various Greek and Roman stories were thought of as myths because there was no evidence. Now archeology is instrumental in showing that names really existed, and dates have been provided, care of inscriptions and writings.

Now evidence does not give you faith, but it sure confirms that the Bible or for that matter Troy and Schliemann

1320: Section 4: Schliemann and Troy

As for my favorite archeological discovery that confirms the BIBLE:
An inscription concerning the proconsul of Achaia and the city of Corinth, which was found which allows scholars to date the New Testament with better accuracy. Plus it proves that Acts 18:12-17 is not about an imaginary person, but instead, about a real Roman ruler that Paul was brought before.
"But when Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews made a united attack on Paul and brought him before the tribunal, [SUP]13 [/SUP]saying, “This man is persuading people to worship God contrary to the law.” [SUP]14 [/SUP]But when Paul was about to open his mouth, Gallio said to the Jews, “If it were a matter of wrongdoing or vicious crime, O Jews, I would have reason to accept your complaint. [SUP]15 [/SUP]But since it is a matter of questions about words and names and your own law, see to it yourselves. I refuse to be a judge of these things.” [SUP]16 [/SUP]And he drove them from the tribunal. [SUP]17 [/SUP]And they all seized Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue, and beat him in front of the tribunal. But Gallio paid no attention to any of this." Acts 18:12-17

"Marianne Bonz, the former managing editor of the Harvard Theological Review, shed some light on a now-famous inscription concerning Gallio. She recounted how, in 1905, a doctoral student in Paris was sifting through a collection of inscriptions that had been collected from the Greek city of Delphi. In these various inscriptions, he found four different fragments that, when put together, formed a large portion of a letter from the Emperor Claudius. The letter from the emperor was written to none other than Gallio, the proconsul of Achaia (Bonz, 1998, p. 8).McRay, in giving the Greek portions of this now-famous inscription, and supplying missing letters in the gaps of the text to make it legible, translated it as follows:
Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Pontifex Maximus, of tribunician authority for the twelfth time, imperator twenty-sixth time.… Lucius Junius Gallio, my friend, and the proconsul of Achaia (1991, pp. 226- 227).​
And while certain portions of the above inscription are not entirely clear, the name of Gallio and his office in Achaia are clearly legible. Not only did Luke accurately record the name of Gallio, but he likewise recorded his political office with equal precision.
The importance of the Gallio inscription goes even deeper than verification of Luke’s accuracy. This particular find shows how archaeology can give us a better understanding of the biblical text, especially in areas of chronology. Most scholars familiar with the travels and epistles of the apostle Paul will readily admit that attaching specific dates to his activities remains an exceedingly difficult task. The Gallio inscription, however, has added a piece to this chronological puzzle. Jack Finegan, in his detailed work on biblical chronology, dated the inscription to the year [SIZE=-1]A.D.[/SIZE] 52, Gallio’s proconsulship in early [SIZE=-1]A.D.[/SIZE] 51, and Paul’s arrival in Corinth in the winter of [SIZE=-1]A.D.[/SIZE] 49/50. Finegan stated concerning his conclusion: “This determination of the time when Paul arrived in Corinth thus provides an important anchor point for the entire chronology of Paul” (1998, pp. 391- 393)."

This link has other interesting archeological information, the one above is found about half way down the link.

https://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=13&article=1420

For those interested in really digging deeper into archeology, and not just nonsense about giants and nephilim, the following books are quite good in explaining the time, context, religion and archeological finds which confirm the Bible.

John McRay, Archaeology and the New Testament, Baker Academic 1991.

Ed. Amnon Ben-Tor, The Archaeology of Ancient Israel, The Open University of Israel, 1992.
I find it sadly funny that when one supposedly wants answers, that they continually look to this world and other humans for their answers.

It is so humorous to me that a person would take the words of Our Father and use them to take a dig at another person, and at the same time calling Our Father's words foolish.

Giants, Nephillim and Geber are all in the Bible, and guess what? I guess Our Father doesn't lie, Because! they actually have a History that pre-dates Adam & Eve.

Guess this is what Christ must of meant when he said; "How can I tell you of the things to come, when you don't even know what was in the beginning"? Obviously that statement was meant not only for then, but also for now.

Strange isn't it? that when one puts this History (relatively recent discoveries) into both The Bible and Science, that all of the un-explained Science becomes possible and probable; and all of the hard to understand parts of the Bible become rather clear.

And access to that information available to ALL, in this generation.

Though ALL OF IT, (science) draws the wrong conclusions, it is because they don't take The Word of GOD into account.

The ones that do bring GOD"S Word into it; well it is NOT The WORD that they are bringing into it, IT"S mans religions; therefore they draw the wrong conclusions as well.

So what is one to do? All one can do, sift through it, toss out the guessing, keep the facts, check it out in The Word, and pray for help.

There is so much archaeological evidence out there these days to back up the Bible, that I have no idea why one would think that it wouldn't strengthen ones faith :confused:

In fact, it can also help to assist one with enough knowledge to actually assist Our Father in the other parts of The Covenant made in Love; It is a Covenant/Contract that is threefold, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob/Israel, and is every bit as legal and binding as a Covenant/Contract made in Law.

Though Faith IS the greatest part of the Contract, considering that it IS every bit as legal and binding as the law; i'd like to see ANYONE (that is here at the time of instead-of-Christ) get the rewards promised by Our Father, If they have neglected the other 2 parts of that Covenant/Contract made through Isaac and Jacob.

Christ did NOT make the 2 Great Commandments! He Affirmed and Confirmed them.

Just saying.

N

nathan3

you can make crop circles with a few rakes and some help.

M

Married_Richenbrachen

you can make crop circles with a few rakes and some help.
Those kinds of crop circles look pretty poor compared to the real thing! :D

M

Married_Richenbrachen

So are people here saying these crop circles are not made by the human hand?
I didn't have that close a look, to be honest. But they did look pretty! :D

I'm not saying these ones are the real deal (although at present, I haven't been given reason to doubt), but even if they were faked, I believe some of them to be real, yes. I have also read reports of some of the circles containing strange radiation, elements high on the periodic table etc. UFOs spotted near abouts the night before... I'm not saying aliens did it - maybe some military technology, maybe demons... But I think the phenomena is real, and there is an intelligence behind it. It's not always kids having fun! :D