Are children punished for thi sins of their father?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Bornfromabove

Deu 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Jer 31:29 In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

2Ch 25:4 But he slew not their children, but did as it is written in the law in the book of Moses, where the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not die for the children, neither shall the children die for the fathers, but every man shall die for his own sin.

2Ki 14:5 And it came to pass, as soon as the kingdom was confirmed in his hand, that he slew his servants which had slain the king his father.
2Ki 14:6 But the children of the murderers he slew not: according unto that which is written in the book of the law of Moses, wherein the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

But what about these verses?

Gen 9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
Gen 9:23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
Gen 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
Gen 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Exo 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Deu 5:9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

Num 14:18 The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

Deu 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Deu 28:18 Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.

1Sa 3:12 In that day I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end.
1Sa 3:13 For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.
1Sa 3:14 And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering for ever.

2Sa 12:13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.
2Sa 12:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

1Ki 2:33 Their blood shall therefore return upon the head of Joab, and upon the head of his seed for ever: but upon David, and upon his seed, and upon his house, and upon his throne, shall there be peace for ever from the LORD.

Isa 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

Jer 29:32 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite, and his seed: he shall not have a man to dwell among this people; neither shall he behold the good that I will do for my people, saith the LORD; because he hath taught rebellion against the LORD.

Jer 32:18 Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD of hosts, is his name,

B

Bornfromabove

After researching this topic a little further, I think I have an answer. It seems that it was common among heathen nations to involve the whole family when the head of the family had done something wrong. So I guess God was telling the Israelite's not to punish the children for the Fathers sins, but God alone still had the right to visit the fathers sins unto the children.

C

cedaffin

Sins = sickness
Christ was healing the sick – then He said – “go and sin no more”

John 9
Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind
1 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.
This infers children are afflicted by the sin of parents because Jesus did not say “what are you talking about?” Instead He seems to say “not in this case”.
Sins are the cause of our afflictions most of the time but not all cases. The case of Job was an exception also.
Peter says (in an unrecognized document)
“So, evil comes from man’s error, usually out of ignorance, producing pain and death.
Since we only knew afflictions were caused by sin through demons, we asked our Teacher what sin did a certain man or his parents commit for him to be born blind? Our Teacher answered; ‘Neither did he sin at all, nor his parents, but that the power of God might be made manifest through him in healing the sins of ignorance.’ Such afflictions arise because of ignorance, not knowing when one ought to cohabit with his wife if she be pure from her discharge: ‘There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven, a time to give birth and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.’

“The main reason for our afflictions are our sins. It is because of the love of our heavenly Father we receive correction: ‘Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are careful to discipline them.’

I have no idea what proper cohabitation times are but that was what Peter said.
Peter does mention that a lot of what God (Christ) told Enoch about proper times has been lost. (knowledge)

Dec 19, 2009
I believe each of us is judged by our own actions, not the actions of those that came before us. The Lord is just.

B

Bornfromabove

I'm kinda surprised there isn't more thoughts on this.

B

Bornfromabove

Jesus was called the "son of David"

Davids son died innocent so that David could be pardon for his sins. Jesus died innocent so that we can be pardoned for our sin. So we know Jesus was called "son of David" because he came through Davids bloodline, but he was like Davids son because he died in place of someone elses sin.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
You have to look at what is being said in context, not just handpicked verses as above.

Look at Numbers 14, in fact the preceding chapters also. Here the people (The nation) rebel against Moses and Aaron, read especially Numbers 14:10-11 and especially verse 12. Although God is merciful he will punish the disobedient who pass on their same moral and God related laxeties.

Remember, when you read these passages they all relate to Isreal as a nation to their God, bearing this in mind helps to clear up misunderstanding realting to this topic. Context is key!!

Below is Matthew Henrys commentary (copyright free)

II. The humble intercession Moses made for them. Their sin had made a fatal breach in the wall of their defence, at which destruction would certainly have entered if Moses had not seasonably stepped in and made it good. Here he was a type of Christ, who interceded for his persecutors, and prayed for those that despitefully used him, leaving us an example to his own rule, Matt. v. 44.
1. The prayer of his petition is, in one word, Pardon, I beseech thee, the iniquity of this people (v. 19), that is, "Do not bring upon them the ruin they deserve." This was Christ's prayer for those that crucified him, Father forgive them. The pardon of a national sin, as such, consists in the turning away of the national punishment; and that is it for which Moses is here so earnest.
2. The pleas are many, and strongly urged.

(1.) He insists most upon the plea that is taken from the glory of God, v. 13-16. With this he begins, and somewhat abruptly, taking occasion from that dreadful word, I will disinherit them. Lord (says he), then the Egyptians shall hear it. God's honour lay nearer to his heart than any interests of his own. Observe how he orders this cause before God. He pleads, [1.] That the eyes both of Egypt and Canaan were upon them, and great expectations were raised concerning them. They could not but have heard that thou, Lord, art among this people, v. 14. The neighbouring countries rang of it, how much this people were the particular care of heaven, so as never any people under the sun were. [2.] That if they should be cut off great notice would be taken of it. "The Egyptians will hear it (v. 13), for they have their spies among us, and they will tell it to the inhabitants of the land" (v. 14); for there was great correspondence between Egypt and Canaan, although not by the way of this wilderness.
"If this people that have made so great a noise be all consumed, if their mighty pretensions come to nothing, and their light go out in a snuff, it will be told with pleasure in Gath, and published in the streets of Askelon; and what construction will the heathen put upon it?

It will be impossible to make them understand it as an act of God's justice, and as such redounding to God's honour; brutish men know not this (Ps. xcii. 6): but they will impute it to the failing of God's power, and so turn it to his reproach, v. 16. They will say, He slew them in the wilderness because he was not able to bring them to Canaan, his arm being shortened, and his stock of miracles being spent. Now, Lord, let not one attribute be glorified at the expense of another; rather let mercy rejoice against judgment than that almighty power should be impeached." Note, The best pleas in prayer are those that are taken from God's honour; for they agree with the first petition of the Lord's Prayer, Hallowed be thy name.

Do not disgrace the throne of thy glory. God pleads it with himself (Deut. xxxii. 27), I feareth the wrath of the enemy; and we should use it as an argument with ourselves to walk so in every thing as to give no occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme,