Are the 9 Gifts of the Spirit (1 Cor. 12) in operation today and if not Why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
There were (and are) only twelve apostles of the Lamb. Evangelists, pastors, and teachers are still here. Barnabas and James were called "apostles" in a broader sense, but were not strictly apostles. So there are NO genuine apostles in Christendom today, just false apostles. Also, ruling, ministry, exhortation would be "ministry" gifts according to Paul (Rom 12).
This is totally false.
Paul was an apostle, mentioned in the beginning of every epistle he wrote. He wasn't of the 12.
When the Bible says they're apostles, then they're apostles!!!
Paul wrote to the church about God calling apostles, so that means God called apostles!
How do you know there's no apostles today? Did you go to all the countries to witness this, or did you say that in your armchair?
Do you REALLY believe if there was an apostle in another country performing miracles that the misinformation media would say so?

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I think that it's just terminology. The baptism of the Spirit, baptism with the Spirit, being "born again" of the Spirit, etc. are all talking about the same thing.
Totally false. All the 120 in the upper room were already saved, yet they received this baptism of the Holy Spirit & exercising the gift of prophecy as the Spirit gave utterance.
"Born of the Spirit" is about receiving the Holy Spirit at salvation, not the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
This is completely false.

When a person receives the gift of the Holy Spirit in response to the Gospel (Acts 2:38) that is in fact the baptism WITH the Holy Spirit. The pouring out (outpouring) of the Holy Spirit on that person (Titus 3:4-7) happens at the time he is saved (justified). Titus salls this outpouring "which He shed on us abundantly".

Not one of the 3,000 Jews on the day of Pentecost received "a distinct experience" after they were saved. But they were all baptized by immersion. See Acts 2, where they were baptized with the Holy Spirit. However they (or as many of them who were present) were "filled" (totally controlled by ) the Holy Spirit when they all prayed in unison and then spoke the Word of God boldly. And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the Word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:31)

There are many other passages which show that the gift of the Holy Spirit (which includes the "sealing") is also the "baptism" with the Holy Spirit. It cannot be otherwise. That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. (Eph 1:12-14)

Paul says that after you believed you were sealed with the Holy Spirit. Which means that the gift of the Holy Spirit was given at that time. This corresponds to Acts 2:38. Simultaneously the Holy Spirit "baptizes" the believer into the Body of Christ (1 Cor 12). And this also enables the believer to receive one or more of the gifts of the Spirit. So there is no need to come up with your own doctrine in order to promote false ideas about this whole matter.
Sorry, but you are 100% wrong. The 120 in the upper room were already believers, thus already saved.
The 'gift of the Holy Ghost" was a measure of the Holy Spirit received at salvation.
There's a huge difference between receiving the Gift at salvation & being "fully immersed" in the Holy Spirit.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There's a huge difference between receiving the Gift at salvation & being "fully immersed" in the Holy Spirit.
That is called "being filled with the Holy Spirit" and I already showed to difference. So I am 100% right.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
How do you know there's no apostles today?
From Scripture. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. (Rev 21:14). To further confirm this Christ said that the twelve apostles would sit on twelve thrones ruling the twelve tribes of Israel. So you can argue with the Lord if you wish.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
From Scripture. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. (Rev 21:14). To further confirm this Christ said that the twelve apostles would sit on twelve thrones ruling the twelve tribes of Israel. So you can argue with the Lord if you wish.
Is there a difference between the 12 & the rest? Yes, but that doesnt cancel out the others.
Eph 4: 11 And He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as [d]pastors and teachers, 12for the equipping of the [e]saints for the work of ministry, for the building up of the body of Christ; 13until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the [f]knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature [g]which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

1Cor 12:27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually parts of it. 28And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then [v]miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, and various kinds of tongues. 29All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of [w]miracles, are they? 30All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? 31But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And yet, I am going to show you a far better way.

Not only are there apostles, but prophets, too.
I don't know how you come up with this stuff, but if the Bible says it, that settles it.
You judge me as arguing with God. I think you need to go look in the mirror.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
There were (and are) only twelve apostles of the Lamb. Evangelists, pastors, and teachers are still here. Barnabas and James were called "apostles" in a broader sense, but were not strictly apostles. So there are NO genuine apostles in Christendom today, just false apostles. Also, ruling, ministry, exhortation would be "ministry" gifts according to Paul (Rom 12).
So just when did Gods word stop or die or dead? What were talking about GOD said it. It never ages never changes. The op as he said was talking about the nine spiritual gifts. Apostle or prophet or teacher or the like is not a gift. That's a calling. Now with those callings He equips.

What the enemy has done is used doubt. See were told by the same book if we doubt were like a ship tossed back and forth on the waves and let not that man think he will get anything .. anything from God. I've seen had working in my life many of the gifts as its written as the sweet sweet holy Spirit works. If I doubted then I would never seen them. He will not go against my will.

See Acts? That is what Christianity is. If we want to see God move then believe what He said. If He said it He will do it. I have never once seen any word spoken by my Father aka the great I am.. that word is the Torah/OT/NT fail. It cannot. Again if we doubt we will see nothing. Some have the fruit others have none. That fruit comes from Him not me.

Exactly like it was with Christ in my life "the BLIND RECEIVE [their] SIGHT and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed [by healing] and the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the POOR HAVE THE GOSPEL PREACHED TO THEM. ". He has not changed

jamessb

Feb 10, 2024
Santa Fe NM
Totally false. All the 120 in the upper room were already saved, yet they received this baptism of the Holy Spirit & exercising the gift of prophecy as the Spirit gave utterance.
"Born of the Spirit" is about receiving the Holy Spirit at salvation, not the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
You can't be saved without receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit. You can't be one of the elect, a member of Christ's body, without the Holy Spirit.

"Baptism of the Holy Spirit" and "Born of the Spirit" is just a difference in terminology.

tylerbones1313

May 1, 2022
You can't be saved without receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit. You can't be one of the elect, a member of Christ's body, without the Holy Spirit.

"Baptism of the Holy Spirit" and "Born of the Spirit" is just a difference in terminology.
We know the disciples didn't receive the ability to Speak in Tongues until the Baptism of the Holy Ghost at Pentecost. So if they were born of the Spirit at the moment they believed, Baptism of the Holy Ghost, is a totally separate experience.

jamessb

Feb 10, 2024
Santa Fe NM
We know the disciples didn't receive the ability to Speak in Tongues until the Baptism of the Holy Ghost at Pentecost. So if they were born of the Spirit at the moment they believed, Baptism of the Holy Ghost, is a totally separate experience.
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

The word "tongues" in Acts 2 does not mean the same thing as speaking in tongues, as described in 1 Corinthians.

How did people here in their own language in Acts? Acts 2:5-8, "Now there were devout Jews from every people under heaven living in Jerusalem. And at this sound the crowd gathered and was bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in the native language of each. Amazed and astonished, they asked, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us, in our own native language?"

1 Corinthians 12:8-10, "To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of powerful deeds, to another prophecy, to another the discernment of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues." Notice that it says "interpretation", not "translation".

1 Corinthians 14:2, "For the one speaking in a tongue does not speak to people but to God, for no one understands; he is speaking mysteries by the Spirit."

1 Corinthians 14:13-19, "So then, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unproductive. What should I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. [the difference] I will sing praises with my spirit, but I will also sing praises with my mind. Otherwise, if you are praising God with your spirit, how can someone without the gift say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? [clearly that is an unknown, spiritual language] For you are certainly giving thanks well, but the other person is not strengthened. I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you, but in the church I want to speak five words with my mind to instruct others, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue."

That is the difference between speaking in a known language and speaking in a spiritual language (tongues)