Are Video Games a Sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

wwjd_kilden

OP: If playing videogames (generalized) is a sin then so is using the internet(generalized).

That being said: What makes something in sin is it taking God's place. If you would rather play a video game than read your bible / go to church or whatever you do to connect with God, then yes, it is a sin. If it takes control of your life, yes it is a sin. But a videogame is just a piece of electronics, it has no more power than what you give it. The sin is in you (and me, and us all), not in the game.

M

Mooky

Maybe I can answer by asking a question.Does it "redeem the time"?ie. buy up opportunities for doing good and furthering the kingdom - (Ephesians 5 :16 - 18)
Sure we need an escape valve, and if we are too serious all the time we will need "help" after a while...as long as you can alot time for this pass time (it is really a pass time)without overindulging....you are kind of ok ,in my opinion.
Here's a useful link:Should a Christian play video games?

G

GreenNnice

Are they keeping you from God FIRST in your life ? The Lord leads . We should want to fill our minds with good things of Him, what's more , Hebrews tells us that those who are in Him will want more spiritual things in their life and less and less earthly (world) things in their life. Now, this does not mean we are not in the world, we are just not 'of the world,' kilden4Jesus :)

Last edited by a moderator: