are we really willing to help strangers ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

rus_lady

today i spoke with one man from India on cc ( yes , i know you would say ohh India they always ask for money etc, etc ) Somethimes i think we happy that all is well in our world and dont care that someone out there can be without food or cloth . when a stranger is asking for such kind of support what may include money it simply freak us out . this man was asking for warm clothing and blankets for his kids and i could not say anything positive to him and it made me sad ..... and i start to ask myself are we really willing to help a stanger ?

S

Siberian_Khatru

I've been contacted for similar, actually identical, reasons by a woman from Pakistan. I have felt quite unsure about it, and at moments have been hesitant to help her, as I don't trust her (no offense naturally; I just don't trust anyone easily).

But I feel that if your heart is in the right place, whatever the money goes towards is on their conscience. I am ready to help, just skeptical of people.

R

rus_lady

yes , i know what you mean !

I've been contacted for similar, actually identical, reasons by a woman from Pakistan. I have felt quite unsure about it, and at moments have been hesitant to help her, as I don't trust her (no offense naturally; I just don't trust anyone easily).

But I feel that if your heart is in the right place, whatever the money goes towards is on their conscience. I am ready to help, just skeptical of people.

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
Well I once asked God and I said "God I want to help the people who are needy, I want to be your hands and feet but there are so many lairs and crooks out there" and Jesus said "If you choose to put and give your donations and gifts to me, they will not be stealing or lieing to you, they will be stealing and lieing to me, but I will still consider your gifts to others even if you are lied to."
So guys in all you give, dedicate those things to God and He Himself will watch over them coz they are His own now. But if you feel in your conscience that you must not help a particular person the don't help that person! Here is the thing if you meet anyone on the INTERNET from a third world country asking for aid in form of money, I would advise you not to help that person unless God tells you to. Simply because internet in undeveloped countries is mostly available for rich people. For example stats say only 4% of people in Africa have internet access. So the chances of a POOR guy going on internet or even knowing what a computer is are very very slim. Am not discouraging you, just trying to say be careful who you trust on the net.

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Well I once asked God and I said "God I want to help the people who are needy, I want to be your hands and feet but there are so many lairs and crooks out there" and Jesus said "If you choose to put and give your donations and gifts to me, they will not be stealing or lieing to you, they will be stealing and lieing to me, but I will still consider your gifts to others even if you are lied to."
So guys in all you give, dedicate those things to God and He Himself will watch over them coz they are His own now. But if you feel in your conscience that you must not help a particular person the don't help that person! Here is the thing if you meet anyone on the INTERNET from a third world country asking for aid in form of money, I would advise you not to help that person unless God tells you to. Simply because internet in undeveloped countries is mostly available for rich people. For example stats say only 4% of people in Africa have internet access. So the chances of a POOR guy going on internet or even knowing what a computer is are very very slim. Am not discouraging you, just trying to say be careful who you trust on the net.
Yes, if you can afford the internet, you should be able to afford blankets and food...

R

rus_lady

Well, before jumping in to any conclusion i think the good way to find out is to talk and ask questions ..... true we dont always know how honest is that stranger is with us , but still .....

Yes, if you can afford the internet, you should be able to afford blankets and food...

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
I said you SHOULD be able to afford food and blankets, not that it was a given...I meant that it was possible that they were on the net at a free library, but IDK if there are public internet places like that in third world countries anyway....anyway, it really isn't safe to give your credit card or other information to a stranger on the net, but you can give the phone number or web address to an organization that helps people. That way they can be checked out safely. Also, you aren't allowed to come on this site to ask for money, so please report the one who is asking for money, at least if they persist after being offered the charity info. I really wouldn't encourage anyone to talk to the person asking for money to try to find out if they are real, because most people would just get too attached to them and fall for the story they gave, without using discernment. Again, I'd give them the web address of a charity like cbn.com or another one with branches in other countries that can verify the situation; since they have the net in one way or another, they can send an email to the charity group just as easily as they can come on this site. Also, you could get your identity stolen if you give out personal info, so it isn't just the threat of losing the twenty dollars that you tried to send the person.

K

Kyouken

Luke 6:38 - "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

J

jimsun

I've worked for 5 years with one of the major NGOs, in Ethiopia, Sudan, Peru & Lebanon.
I can appreciate the hesitancy of folk to simply give money to an individual name on a computer screen.
The way to circumvent any problems, I feel, is to donate via an NGO like OXFAM, Save the Children, Christian Aid or any charity which belongs to the DEC.
Don't forget about Operation Christmas Child so dig out your old shoe boxes & fill 'em with goodies!
By donating via an NGO - whether cash, clothing, books, bric a brac (even unusable clothing is shredded, recycled & sold back to the "rag trade" - you can sure that help of the right kind gets to where it's most needed.
J.