Are you the Christ!!!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Ok, here's one, without an answer lol.

John the Baptist sent his disciples to ask Jesus this question. “Are you the the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?” (Matthew 11:3). The question in Matthew 11, almost sounds as if John was in doubt about Jesus’ identity, “Are you the Christ?” This seems an odd question to ask in light of the baptists previous statements (John 1:29-34,36; cf. Mark 1: 9-11; Luke 3:15vv).

Was John confused??????

Discuss, take it away.....lol

Dec 19, 2009
Ok, here's one, without an answer lol.

John the Baptist sent his disciples to ask Jesus this question. “Are you the the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?” (Matthew 11:3). The question in Matthew 11, almost sounds as if John was in doubt about Jesus’ identity, “Are you the Christ?” This seems an odd question to ask in light of the baptists previous statements (John 1:29-34,36; cf. Mark 1: 9-11; Luke 3:15vv).

Was John confused??????

Discuss, take it away.....lol
I can only say I too have wondered about that and have no answer

Last edited:

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
lol im not gonna answer yet, as glenwood told me off for answering my own questions lol :(

Dec 19, 2009
lol im not gonna answer yet, as glenwood told me off for answering my own questions lol :(
Well I'm looking forward to a good answer then! John said Jesus was the lamb of God who took away the worlds sins, but he didn't know if he was the Christ? Too deep for me

1still_waters

I think John's apparent contradiction is actually consistent with the reactions we see from the people of God when they face adversity or discouragement.

The children of Israel saw many mighty signs, yet in times of trial they acted as if they hadn't.

Elijah or was it Elisha, one of them did mighty signs, only to run away from some woman in full discouragement.

Peter boldly declared Jesus the Christ, yet denied him three times when the goin got tough.

John was similar. Yeah he declared Him the Christ, yet he was on death row and had second thoughts and questions. Just like everyone else does in the Bible. Probably just like you or I would too.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2010
32And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. 34And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God(John 1:32-34).

John knew who Jesus was by the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove and being on Jesus that He was the Son of God.John already knew Jesus before he choose His 12 disciples.John already knew who Jesus was before he sent the disciples to Him.

1And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.
2Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples,
3And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?
4Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see:
5The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. 6And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me(Matthew 11:1-6).

Jesus already had His 12 disciples at this point.John already knew who Jesus was because John knew who Jesus was before Jesus picked out His 12 disciples.
The Bible said John sent 2 of his disciples.These 2 disciples were not 2 of Jesus' disciples but 2 of John's disciples who did not know Jesus so John wanted them to be sure it was Jesus the Messiah which they knew it was Jesus the Messiah because of the miracles Jesus did.
John's disciples did not know Jesus and John knew that if they found Jesus that Jesus would do miracles so they would know that it is Jesus.

Matt

G

glenwood74

Wait for it.......

G

glenwood74

I like still-waters description.

S

studentofgod

Well I have to say I am very intrigued, I would have thought it is because he was in prison and what he heard about Christ in the prison was debateable so he sent his disciple to verify. I assume by the way you wrote the question there is allot more to it then that. I look forward to your answer

1still_waters

2Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples,
What version are you using, because your set above omits

NIV

2When John heard in prison what Christ was doing, he sent his disciples 3to ask him, "Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?"

NASB
2(A)Now when (B)John, while imprisoned, heard of the works of Christ, he sent word by his disciples
3and said to Him, "Are You (C)the Expected One, or shall we look for someone else?"

KJV

ESV
2(A) Now when John heard(B) in prison about the deeds of(C) the Christ, he sent word by(D) his disciples 3and said to him, "Are you(E) the one who is to come, or shall we(F) look for another?"

It seems like you're trying to separate John's words from the words of his disciples. But the text seems to be implying his disciples were carrying a word from John, not just something of their own perceptions.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Thats good Matt, It was more likely the disciples John sent where not too sure that Jesus was the anticipated Messiah 'that is the whole key 'anticipated Messiah'. Jesus, cited from Isaiah, of the works he done, the verses used was by then a Messianic depiction for the Jews.

Peter and John the Baptist declared Jesus as the Messiah (Christ), we know what that means, the writer new what that means, but at the time did Peter and John?

Cf. Acts 1:6

where was the judgement...so far they only saw grace... was this Israels Messiah?

Phil

1still_waters

Thats good Matt, It was more likely the disciples John sent where not too sure that Jesus was the anticipated Messiah 'that is the whole key 'anticipated Messiah'. Jesus, cited from Isaiah, of the works he done, the verses used was by then a Messianic depiction for the Jews.

Peter and John the Baptist declared Jesus as the Messiah (Christ), we know what that means, the writer new what that means, but at the time did Peter and John?

Cf. Acts 1:6

where was the judgement...so far they only saw grace... was this Israels Messiah?

Phil
See I don't know if it was just his disciples that were giving their interpretation of things cuz the text says..

NASB
he sent word by his disciples

KJV
he sent two of his disciples,
3And said unto him,

ESV
he sent word by(D) his disciples 3and said to him

The text seems to show these as John's messengers bringing John's exact message to Jesus.

C

carpetmanswife

I think John's apparent contradiction is actually consistent with the reactions we see from the people of God when they face adversity or discouragement.

The children of Israel saw many mighty signs, yet in times of trial they acted as if they hadn't.

Elijah or was it Elisha, one of them did mighty signs, only to run away from some woman in full discouragement.

Peter boldly declared Jesus the Christ, yet denied him three times when the goin got tough.

John was similar. Yeah he declared Him the Christ, yet he was on death row and had second thoughts and questions. Just like everyone else does in the Bible. Probably just like you or I would too.
HATE to admit it....... i agree!! :rolleyes:
:D stilly

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Concerning the Question of ''Are you the Christ''

R.C.H Lenski States “The fact that John sends to Jesus for an answer proves John’s faith in Jesus. This answers those who think that John had lost confidence in Jesus and doubted as some moderns doubt — disbelief. In that case John would not have directed his question to Jesus, nor would Jesus have sent an answer, and least of all the answer he did"

After all it was God who revealed to the baptist the identity of the Messiah (Mark 1:33,34). It was Jesus who would then carry out all the great Messianic works, both grace (Mt 3:11) and Judgment (Mt 3:12), compare Luke 3:3-6 for grace and v.9 regarding judgment.

What perplexed John the baptist (when he heard in prison of the works of Christ) was that Jesus’ ministry was, so far, all grace. Where were the works of judgment, they were not being done! Is there another to follow who would carry out judgment?

One thing we must remember concerning the prophecies of the Messiah and the Kingdom of God is the time frame. Not the time between prophecy and the actualization of the Messiah, but that of His entrance into the world with grace and mercy and His second coming with judgment. The prophetic picture is without perspective as to time; grace and judgment are simply predicted, and the point of time when they will occur is left with God (Acts 1:7).”

I personally think this is one of the clearest examples of Christ actually saying who he was in the Synoptic gospels (Matthew,Mark,Luke) the disciples at that time believed Jesus was the Messiah, but, not how Jesus was bringing salvation to the world, a blessing to the nations, the king over all (remember God's covenant with Abraham)

Answering the question from John’s disciples, Jesus replies with the Old Testament prophecies that caused John’s puzzlement in the first place ( Isa 35:5,6; Isa 61:1). Isaiah 61:1 being the climax “and, the poor have the good news preached to them.” (Mt 11:5b). All of these things are the signs of the Messiah.

“Blessed is the one who is not offended by me.” this last verse to the disciples are to be applied to John, John’s disciples and to all of us, it is a general beatitude.

The question asked by the baptists disciples “are you the one ‘who is to come’, or shall we look for another?” begs the question of, do you believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, are you blessed? Or are you offended by Him?

This question, as D. Martin Lloyd-Jones has stated, is one of the greatest questions that any one of us could ask. To find out the answer leads a person to either accept Jesus or reject Him. It commands a response! Is He the Messiah or Isn’t He? Thats my take on it.