Armageddon - Battle of Gog & Magog: A Single or Two Separate events?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

After reading Revelation 19 & 20, the battle of Armagageddon and Gog & Magog are:

• It is one single event

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • They are two separate events

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
C

Crossfire

This conversation was brought up in another thread so rather than cause confusion in the other thread, I opted to start a new one.

The discussion concerns the battle of Armageddon and the war of Gog & Magog. Are they one single event or are they two distinct, separate events?

Amillennialists seem to believe that they are one single event. While Premillennialists believe that they are two separate events.

What does the scripture say? And should the scriptures be taken literally or symbolically?

Brief Overview:

In Revelation 19, at the conclusion of the battle of Armageddon, both the Antichrist & False Prophet are cast into the lake of fire never to be heard from again.

Immediately afterward, in Revelation 20, Satan is bound then cast into the bottomless pit where he is locked up for 1000 years then released for a little while, where he will rallies the armies of Gog and Magog to make war only to be consumed with fire from heaven then Satan will cast into the lake of fire along side the antichrist & false prophet never to be heard from again.

Revelation 19

11 After that I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse [appeared]! The One Who was riding it is called Faithful (Trustworthy, Loyal, Incorruptible, Steady) and True, and He passes judgment and wages war in righteousness (holiness, justice, and uprightness).

12 His eyes [blaze] like a flame of fire, and on His head are many kingly crowns (diadems); and He has a title (name) inscribed which He alone knows or can understand.

13 He is dressed in a robe dyed by [c]dipping in blood, and the title by which He is called is The Word of God.

14 And the troops of heaven, clothed in fine linen, dazzling and clean, followed Him on white horses.

15 From His mouth goes forth a sharp sword with which He can smite (afflict, strike) the nations; and He will shepherd and control them with a staff (scepter, rod) of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fierceness of the wrath and indignation of God the All-Ruler (the Almighty, the Omnipotent).

16And on His garment (robe) and on His thigh He has a name (title) inscribed, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

17Then I saw a single angel stationed in the sun's [d]light, and with a mighty voice he shouted to all the birds that fly across the sky, Come, gather yourselves together for the great supper of God,

18That you may feast on the flesh of rulers, the flesh of generals and captains, the flesh of powerful and mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all humanity, both free and slave, both small and great!

19Then I saw the beast and the rulers and leaders of the earth with their troops mustered to go into battle and make war against Him Who is mounted on the horse and against His troops.

20And the beast was seized and overpowered, and with him the false prophet who in his presence had worked wonders and performed miracles by which he led astray those who had accepted or permitted to be placed upon them the stamp (mark) of the beast and those who paid homage and gave divine honors to his statue. Both of them were hurled alive into the fiery lake that burns and blazes with brimstone.

21And the rest were killed with the sword that issues from the mouth of Him Who is mounted on the horse, and all the birds fed ravenously and glutted themselves with their flesh.

Revelation 20

1THEN I saw an angel descending from heaven; he was holding the key of the Abyss (the bottomless pit) and a great chain was in his hand.

2And he gripped and overpowered the dragon, that old serpent [of primeval times], who is the devil and Satan, and [securely] bound him for a thousand years.

3Then he hurled him into the Abyss (the bottomless pit) and closed it and sealed it above him, so that he should no longer lead astray and deceive and seduce the nations until the thousand years were at an end. After that he must be liberated for a short time.

4Then I saw thrones, and sitting on them were those to whom authority to act as judges and to pass sentence was entrusted. Also I saw the souls of those who had been slain with axes [beheaded] for their witnessing to Jesus and [for preaching and testifying] for the Word of God, and who had refused to pay homage to the beast or his statue and had not accepted his mark or permitted it to be stamped on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived again and ruled with Christ (the Messiah) a thousand years.

5The remainder of the dead were not restored to life again until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection.

6Blessed (happy, [a]to be envied) and holy (spiritually whole, of unimpaired innocence and proved virtue) is the person who takes part (shares) in the first resurrection! Over them the second death exerts no power or authority, but they shall be ministers of God and of Christ (the Messiah), and they shall rule along with Him a thousand years.

7And when the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his place of confinement,

8And he will go forth to deceive and seduce and lead astray the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth--Gog and Magog--to muster them for war; their number is like the sand of the sea.

9And they swarmed up over the broad plain of the earth and encircled the fortress (camp) of God's people (the saints) and the beloved city; but fire descended from heaven and consumed them. [II Kings 1:10-12; Ezek. 38:2, 22.]

10Then the devil who had led them astray [deceiving and seducing them] was hurled into the fiery lake of burning brimstone, where the beast and false prophet were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever (through the ages of the ages).

11Then I saw a great white throne and the One Who was seated upon it, from Whose presence and from the sight of Whose face earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them.

12I [also] saw the dead, great and small; they stood before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is [the Book] of Life. And the dead were judged (sentenced) by what they had done [their whole way of feeling and acting, their aims and endeavors] in accordance with what was recorded in the books.

13And the sea delivered up the dead who were in it, death and Hades ([c]the state of death or disembodied existence) surrendered the dead in them, and all were tried and their cases determined by what they had done [according to their motives, aims, and works].

14Then death and Hades ([d]the state of death or disembodied existence) were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

15And if anyone's [name] was not found recorded in the Book of Life, he was hurled into the lake of fire.

Last edited:
C

Crossfire

Here's a link to a two part study on the battle of Gog & Magog, each session lasting about an hour.

Session 1 | GOD TV

S

Slepsog4

I don't really care, considering the book of Revelation is mostly history already, not future. The 8th head, beast, was Domition who persecuted the church in the first century.

E

eternally-gratefull

They have to be two events. Unless God made a mistake and told John what would happen wrong.

1. War of rev 19. How is won.

19 And I saw the beast, the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army. 20 Then the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone. 21 And the rest were killed with the sword which proceeded from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse. And all the birds were filled with their flesh.

1. Armies are worldwide. Fighting not jerusalem. But all people who are following God (those who have not recieved the mark of the beast.
2. People killed by sword of the armies brought By Christ.
3. All the dead were so great, the scavanging birds will eat on their flesh for a long time and be filled.

2. War of Gog and Magog.

9 They went up on the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of heaven and devoured them.

1. Armies are gathered outside Jerusalem. Not the whole world
2. Fire, Not a sword, kills them
3. Unlike on rev 19, where the bodies remain and scavenged by birds. In rev 20, the fire devours them. there is no flesh left for any bird to scavenge.

They have to be two events.

1 is worldwide, The weapon is a sword, and the bodies are left to be scavenged. The other is outside Jerusalem, the weapon is fire. and the bodies are completely devoured that there is no flesh left to scavenge.

Apr 13, 2011
I don't really care, considering the book of Revelation is mostly history already, not future. The 8th head, beast, was Domition who persecuted the church in the first century.
I do not believe the book of Revelation has even started yet.

C

Crossfire

I could see why you would think that however, keep in mind that throughout scripture God has provided a type or shadow beforehand of every major prophecy in the bible. The question we need to ask ourselves is, if we believe a certain event fulfilled a certain prophecy, we need to be sure every condition was met and every detail accounted for or else it is possible that the event could simply be a foreshadow of things yet to come.

C

Crossfire

A

Abiding

Revelation 20:7-10 is a recap—a “replay”—of Revelation 19:11-21.

R

RachelBibleStudent

i have no idea...so i didn't vote...

E

eternally-gratefull

Revelation 20:7-10 is a recap—a “replay”—of Revelation 19:11-21.
They have to be two events.

1 is worldwide, The weapon is a sword, and the bodies are left to be scavenged. The other is outside Jerusalem, the weapon is fire. and the bodies are completely devoured that there is no flesh left to scavenge.

I can't see a recap. for not only are the weapons different. the field of battle is different, and the condition of the defeated army is different.

Jul 30, 2010
7And when the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his place of confinement,

8And he will go forth to deceive and seduce and lead astray the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth--Gog and Magog--to muster them for war; their number is like the sand of the sea.

9And they swarmed up over the broad plain of the earth and encircled the fortress (camp) of God's people (the saints) and the beloved city; but fire descended from heaven and consumed them. [II Kings 1:10-12; Ezek. 38:2, 22.]

10Then the devil who had led them astray [deceiving and seducing them] was hurled into the fiery lake of burning brimstone, where the beast and false prophet were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever (through the ages of the ages).
2 seperate events. The scriptures are pretty clear on this. After the 1000 years Satan is released and does it again, decieves and makes war.

Theres also another difference. This time the dead are buried in the valley of Hamon-gog, whereas they were burried in the valley of Hinom at Christ's coming. Two seperate locations. Two seperate wars.

Ezekiel Chapter 38 & 39 prophesies about this war after the 1000 years.

So in conclusion, although there will be much death at Christ's coming, not everybody will be killed. Christ will set up his kingdom, and the truth will be preached from there to all the nations, and they are given a chance now, because the oppressor is locked up, but when he is released he decieves again, and this is the final sifting, to sift out the wicked for the sake of the good.

R

RachelBibleStudent

both battles were revealed to john in a vision...so depending on how literally you take a vision i could see this going either way...

he could have been seeing two different events roughly as they will actually occur...

or he could have been seeing the same event twice...only presented differently and with different symbolism...

E

eternally-gratefull

both battles were revealed to john in a vision...so depending on how literally you take a vision i could see this going either way...

he could have been seeing two different events roughly as they will actually occur...

or he could have been seeing the same event twice...only presented differently and with different symbolism...

even in symbolism they do not add up. John wrote what he saw in his own words, using words he understood.

sayingg birds were filled with the flesh, and saying the flesh was devoured are not the same event with differing views. they do not add up.

a sword kills. but leaves the flesh for food. a fire devours. leaving no flesh to eat.

the word devour in the greek

κατ-εσθίω, f. κατέδομαι: aor. 2 κατέφᾰγον (v.καταφαγεῖν): pf. κατεδήδοκα, Ep. κατέδηδα: pf. pass. κατεδήδεσμαι:—to eat up, devour, of animals of prey, Hom.; of men, to eat up, Od., Hdt.
2. to eat up or devour ones substance, Ar., Dem.

Can you tell me how much flesh would be left for the birds to each? How could they be filled with the flesh of these men if they have been completely devoured so no flesh is left??

Liddell, H. (1996). A lexicon : Abridged from Liddell and Scott's Greek-English lexicon (421). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

C

Crossfire

I just purchased Demar's book on this. Here's a video. Lil over ten minutes..

I just watched the video suggested by Still concerning Gog & Magog. I believe that this guy is way off. Even if you were to discard Russia as the identity of 'Rosh', if you look up all the names of those involved in the attack on Israel mentioned in Ezekiel 38, this war is international not local or tribal. All of them having one thing in common.... ISLAM.

Here's a chart which displays the ancient names, the modern equivalent and their perspective geography / territory:

Last edited:
L

Laodicea

They are two separate events one happens at the return of Jesus the other at the end of the 1000 years. I believe Gog in Revelation 20 is Satan and Magog is his followers.
Malachi 4:1
(1) For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Last edited by a moderator: