Asherah Poles.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
In the news I read this: “SANTA MONICA — Out of fashion for 4,000 years, asherah poles have shown up in night clubs and hip restaurants in Los Angeles and Miami, where patrons consider them trendy, mystical symbols of ancient power.”

““People want to connect to something with ancient roots, not some modern religion,” says a night club owner who added carved, modern-looking poles to his facility. “People rub them to get good luck with their careers and relationships. “

You can read all about these poles in the Old Testament. An Asherah pole is a sacred tree or pole that stood near Canaanite religious locations to honor the mother-goddess Asherah, consort of El.

I have read a lot about the new covenant wiping out much of what God says before we had the new covenant, even though Christ said that wasn’t so. I wonder what God says about these poles, if it is the same as He said before?

The people who put them up use the same reasoning for doing it that we are told the people in the Old Testament used. They usually went to synagogue, as church was called at that time, and worshipped God. They just wanted to cover all bases to ensure things went well for them.

Is God still an active force in our world, are His principles the same or has God changed? I for one, don’t think so.

T

Tintin

Yes, God is active in the world today. No, he's not a force and yes, God doesn't change but his character is infinitely-faceted. I don't know anything about Asherah poles besides what you've shared from the Bible.

Oct 31, 2011
Tintin; Yes, God is active in the world today. No, he's not a force and yes, God doesn't change but his character is infinitely-faceted. I don't know anything about Asherah poles besides what you've shared from the Bible.
Thanks, tritin. God explains in the Old Testament that He created us and the world, and He is the only God over all. From almost the beginning of time, man’s ego has wanted to take over, to decide about God themselves. At first it was that the sun was God, then they wanted to see God with their eyes so they fashioned idols and decided for themselves God characteristics to give the idols. Now we have lots of explanations of how the world operates, but that it is God and His ways that created and operates the world is not universally accepted.

The Asherah Poles are part of all of what God abhors. It is saying there is power to operate the world in something that has absolutely no power. God created us and is the power that runs our world. When His creation goes off to give what belongs to Him to something like an Asherah Pole God who is loving of His creation and long suffering loses patience. Just as a father spanks a child to show him behavior that is not at all acceptable, God spanks His creation to get them back to acceptable behavior. To God, giving a dead pole what belongs to God is completely unacceptable behavior.