atheists plan attack against pledge of allegiance (One nation under God)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

Ugly

This is nothing new. They've been going after this or a long time.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
to be fair under God wasnt even in the original pledge. it was added in the 50s as some awkward form of retort against communism...

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
to be fair under God wasnt even in the original pledge. it was added in the 50s as some awkward form of retort against communism...
The pledge wasn't adopted by Congress until the 1940s. Maybe we shouldnt have the pledge at all. To be fair....

Mar 1, 2012
There are many christians who do not like God on our money or in the pledge as well

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
The pledge wasn't adopted by Congress until the 1940s. Maybe we shouldnt have the pledge at all. To be fair....
I agree.
I always questioned the point of being forced to say it every day in elementary school. Especially when you had to stand up and salute and all the other crap. Seems like just a bunch of nationalist indoctrination to me.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Many do see the pledge as idol worship

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Don't think the pledge per se is the issue. Try Theophobia or something closer to the root.

Dec 18, 2013
As far as what else they have to change, you can add the Anthem to that list too lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYPN-1Yjt0
[video=youtube;jAYPN-1Yjt0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYPN-1Yjt0[/video]

Heh I always liked the lesser known Second Part better than the first part. Many people, even Americans, are not even aware of part 2 of our anthem.

"O thus be it ever
When freeman shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation
Blessed with Victory and Peace
May the Heaven rescued land praise the power that hath made and preserved us a nation

Then conquer we must
When our cause it is just
And this be our motto
In God is our Trust.

And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
Over the land of the free
And the home of the brave."

Ah Christianity meets Nationalism. This be why America hasn't been destroyed yet, and woe to him who tries to remove God from American culture. Atheists today are wierd. Even when I was an atheist I found it abhorrent to try to destroy our American culture even if it does mention God. To sum up my feelings on this topic I'll use a local folk saying in my community; "you don't have to agree, but you simply do not (expletive) with traditions."

Mar 1, 2012
So much for the tolerant atheist...eh?

Feb 16, 2014
Some of you seem to forget, the reason "Under God" shouldn't be in the official pledge is because it promotes religion. This is unconstitutional. If students want to add "Under God" themselves, they should be allowed to do so - but the school shouldn't be allowed to lead with "Under God" unless it's a private school.

Under God wasn't even in our original pledge. It was added as a means to garnish support against communism.

Keep God out of our government. By allowing the government to use God's name, all you're doing is making his name a political tool.

Feb 16, 2014
So much for the tolerant atheist...eh?
The reason atheists want to remove "Under God" from the official pledge is because our government is not supposed to show favor to any religion. If Christians want to add "Under God" when they say the pledge themselves, atheists won't mind. But it shouldn't be the government that adds "Under God" in the pledge.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The reason atheists want to remove "Under God" from the official pledge is because our government is not supposed to show favor to any religion. If Christians want to add "Under God" when they say the pledge themselves, atheists won't mind. But it shouldn't be the government that adds "Under God" in the pledge.
Any religion? Why are Muslims accomodated in public schools to have Muslim prayers without a sqawk from atheists?
I mean shouldn't the govt. keep it 'neutral'?

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
They allow muslims to pray. They allow christians to pray too. Its not like the intercom goes off 5 times a day and someone leads the muslim children in their prayers. Just like no one ever stopped christians from praying in school. They just cant be forced upon the entire student body. But if your kid and some friends get together at say lunch and pray there is nothing a school can legally do to stop them.

Feb 16, 2014
They allow muslims to pray. They allow christians to pray too. Its not like the intercom goes off 5 times a day and someone leads the muslim children in their prayers. Just like no one ever stopped christians from praying in school. They just cant be forced upon the entire student body. But if your kid and some friends get together at say lunch and pray there is nothing a school can legally do to stop them.
Exactly!

And yes, I'm aware some students have gotten in trouble for praying before. This is very uncommon and most atheists support the student's rights to pray.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I knew that argument would go up in smoke after I posted it. Grrrrr