Babylon

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

Prodigalson

Which book of the Bible did the destruction of Babylon occur?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Revelation

Revelation 18:21 (KJV) And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Daniel 5. The Medes and Persians conquered it.
However religious Babylon spread throughout the earth. Pergomos drowned in the Babylonian mysteries, became the 'seat of satan'.

Rome to its cue from Pergomos. Constantine, in 325, declared the empire Christian. Catholicism was born. Pagan gods and goddesses had a dressing down and Christian names replaced the pagan names of the deities.

So down through the centuries Religious Babylon continued. Even Martin Luther refused to let go of certain pagan beliefs when he broke free from Rome. There in the 'true' church today. Mainly the deeds of the Nicolaitans. Clerical system!

Babylon via the Catholic Church has gotten drunk on the blood of many martyrs who refused to bow the knee to Babylon/Rome.

She is the whore of Revelation which begat many daughters. Islam, Mormonism, the list goes on.

So physical Babylon is gone. Religious Babylon lives on! A thimble full here. Google it!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Often in the early Church, Babylon was code for Rome.

1 Peter 5:13 (KJV) The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Often in the early Church, Babylon was code for Rome.

1 Peter 5:13 (KJV) The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

well, that verse particular not being literal Babylon is only if Peter was in Rome.
it's more probable in my opinion that Paul & Barnabas, being apostles to the Gentiles, and Peter to the Jews, went north & east, and that some who heard the gospel through them somewhere in the Mediterranean returned to Rome and founded the church there. Paul had said he wouldn't 'build on another man's foundation' -- and he wrote this beautiful letter to Rome, so i think that's good evidence that Peter hadn't been there, or at least, hadn't founded the church.
but literal Babylon at that time had a big population of Jews who had been taken there in captivity and settled in, instead of returning to Israel later. it's not out of the question that Peter had gone there to bring them the gospel, and that he wrote 1 Peter either from there, or after a trip to there.

sorry; i know this is pretty off-topic, and i don't disagree that Rome is figuratively called Babylon. i'm just not convinced that's the case in 1 Peter 5:13.

B

BarlyGurl

Prodigal... I sure hope you meant for your screen name to be that you were ONCE prodigal and have now returned. Be a real bummer to identify as "prodigal" since that is a SEPERATED condition.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

well, that verse particular not being literal Babylon is only if Peter was in Rome.
it's more probable in my opinion that Paul & Barnabas, being apostles to the Gentiles, and Peter to the Jews, went north & east, and that some who heard the gospel through them somewhere in the Mediterranean returned to Rome and founded the church there. Paul had said he wouldn't 'build on another man's foundation' -- and he wrote this beautiful letter to Rome, so i think that's good evidence that Peter hadn't been there, or at least, hadn't founded the church.
but literal Babylon at that time had a big population of Jews who had been taken there in captivity and settled in, instead of returning to Israel later. it's not out of the question that Peter had gone there to bring them the gospel, and that he wrote 1 Peter either from there, or after a trip to there.

sorry; i know this is pretty off-topic, and i don't disagree that Rome is figuratively called Babylon. i'm just not convinced that's the case in 1 Peter 5:13.
The way 1Pet5:13 is worded does not necessitate that Peter was in Rome/Babylon, he is just saying that 'those in Rome greet you'.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The way 1Pet5:13 is worded does not necessitate that Peter was in Rome/Babylon, he is just saying that 'those in Rome greet you'.
true!

or 'those in Babylon greet you' ;)

actually i've never poked my nose very far into the subject before, and it turns out i was probably wrong -- Mark was with Peter, & from 2 Timothy 4:11 it seems like Mark was around the Mediterranean, not east. Peter also talks about how he's writing close to his martyrdom, and that happened in Rome. i'm also reading that archaeological & historical evidence doesn't show a Christian population near Babylon until a few hundred years after Peter's letters were written.

((takes back what he said))

OK, not only in Revelation, but yes, most likely here in 1 Peter, Rome is figuratively called Babylon. :)

Aug 10, 2015
Yawn, yet another Catholic hate thread.

O

oldthennew

REV.11:8.
And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom..

REV.18:4.
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins,
and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Babylon is whoredom/idolatry, Egypt is bondage, Sodom is great wickedness - our citizenship should not be
in these locations....rather,

EPH.2:12.
That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers
from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

let us be members of God's nation and NOT the nations of this world....for it is written,
there is no peace for the wicked, sayeth the Lord..

P

Prodigalson

Thanks. I was referring to ancient Babylon, as my question was What chapter WAS Babylon destroyed. Not modern day Babylon.

O

oldthennew

Thanks. I was referring to ancient Babylon, as my question was What chapter WAS Babylon destroyed. Not modern day Babylon.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Yet already addressed this, we are just expounding on different aspects, as he has already explained it......
:)

K

KennethC

true!

or 'those in Babylon greet you' ;)

actually i've never poked my nose very far into the subject before, and it turns out i was probably wrong -- Mark was with Peter, & from 2 Timothy 4:11 it seems like Mark was around the Mediterranean, not east. Peter also talks about how he's writing close to his martyrdom, and that happened in Rome. i'm also reading that archaeological & historical evidence doesn't show a Christian population near Babylon until a few hundred years after Peter's letters were written.

((takes back what he said))

OK, not only in Revelation, but yes, most likely here in 1 Peter, Rome is figuratively called Babylon. :)

Yes this is off topic, but I wanted to know where the two of you got the mention of Babylon in 1 Peter 5:13 is referring to Rome ????

Where and what is your proof for that ???

Pergamos is in Turkey, and the areas that Peter is talking to are all in the middle east area; Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bythynia.

K

KennethC

There are multiple passages speaking on the destruction of Babylon, but some are ancient and some are on future Babylon.

Isaiah 13 - Destruction of Babylon by the Assyrians, rebuilt, then conquered by the Medes

Daniel 5 - Babylon captured by the Medes and Pesians

Future Babylon is a whole new discussion and it is not Rome, Vatican, or Catholicism, that was started by the Protestant's....
Two descriptions for Mystery Babylon is beheading of Christians and Jews, and child trafficing. Who do you see doing these two things ???

J

Jasher

The city of Babylon was abandoned by its residents and by the time of the Parthian Empire in 141BC it was totally deserted. This occurred in the 400 year interim between the Old and New Testaments. Babylon did not physically exist in New Testament times. When Peter sent greetings from "Babylon" he was using this as a symbol of Rome who had the same detestable practices as ancient Babylon had. John does the same in the book of Revelation when he alludes to "Babylon".

K

KennethC

The city of Babylon was abandoned by its residents and by the time of the Parthian Empire in 141BC it was totally deserted. This occurred in the 400 year interim between the Old and New Testaments. Babylon did not physically exist in New Testament times. When Peter sent greetings from "Babylon" he was using this as a symbol of Rome who had the same detestable practices as ancient Babylon had. John does the same in the book of Revelation when he alludes to "Babylon".
I will ask you as I did two others;

What is your proof that Peter was speaking about Rome when he said Babylon ???

The Catholic church did not exist in Peter's day, and Pergamos is in Turkey not Rome.
The term catholic was not even used tell the 2nd century (101-200 AD), and Peter who died around 67 AD never even seen the formation of the Catholic church that took place in the 4th century.

Before the 4th century the term catholic was only used as a universal term explaining the early church that any nationality can become believers in Christ.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Yes this is off topic, but I wanted to know where the two of you got the mention of Babylon in 1 Peter 5:13 is referring to Rome ????

Where and what is your proof for that ???

Pergamos is in Turkey, and the areas that Peter is talking to are all in the middle east area; Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bythynia.
Many commentaors ascribe Babylon as a code word for Rome, also the internet is full of it. I only put it forth as a possibility so please don't try to turn it into an endless argument.

K

KennethC

Many commentaors ascribe Babylon as a code word for Rome, also the internet is full of it. I only put it forth as a possibility so please don't try to turn it into an endless argument.
I do not mean it to be an argument as I just really wanted to know where you came by this from.

Commentators and the internet is full of false information, and like I said before how could Peter be talking about Rome or the church in Rome (a.k.a. Catholic church) when it did not exist in his time???

Apostle Peter died around 67 AD and the Catholic church as we know it today did not start tell the 4th century.
The 1st century of the early church the term catholic was not even heard of, and Rome was brought in later by the Apostles when they were sent out to the gentile nations to give the gospel.