Bad bbehavior which leads to making another stumble (Romans 14, 1 Cor 10)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Crossfire

People come to Christian Chat from all over the globe. There are people here from all six of the populated continents; Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Africa & Africa. These people also hold to a variety of different views. There Messianic Jews, Eastern Orthodox, Catholics, Protestants with just about every major category within Protestantism represented, as well as a variety of other Christian beliefs systems.

Taking this into consideration, it's a given that not everyone is going to agree. Even those who beliefs are very closely associated with one another can usually find some small detail to disagree on. However, there is one issue that the vast majority of us agree on and that is that in order to be saved, one must have faith in Jesus Christ and in Christ alone.

Unfortunately, there are members of this website who seem to insist that you must believe as exactly as they do or you are not saved. If you do not agree with their preferred belief system they will declare you to be a heretic or apostate or go so far as to openly insult you with a variety of different names. Often times they will take something that someone else has said in passing, break it down and point out every little detail where you are wrong then insert their own ideals which they feel are right. While these people claim to be "defenders of truth", the real truth is that they come here looking for any opportunity to pridefully exalt themselves (using the knowledge they possess) and their belief system.

To make matters worse, any attempt by you or anyone else looking to defend their position will be met with harsh criticism. These people will twist your words to mean something other than what you originally intended to say in order to make your opinions somehow conflict with their interpretation of they bible. They will quote scripture then provide a brief commentary explaining how you are in your beliefs. This is usually where the insults and name calling begins. Unfortunately, any attempt to defend yourself or to point their rash behavior will be viewed as demonic activity and these people will look for any and all future posts by you in order to boldly declare how you are in league with Satan.

I'm sure that this has happened to the majority of us. But what does the bible say about such behavior? There are a couple of passages found both in Romans (Chapter 14) and 1 Corinthians (Chapter 10) where the Apostle Paul singles out such bad behavior as unbecoming of a real Christian. Some might argue that if taken in proper context Paul is refer to the eating habits of traveling Apostles and Evangelists of the day. However, if you read closely you will find that Paul refers to all bad behavior. Let's take at these scriptures:

Romans 14: 11-15

v 11. "For it is written, As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me, and every tongue shall confess to God [acknowledge Him to His honor and to His praise]"

v 12. "And so each of us shall give an account of himself [give an answer in reference to judgment] to God."

v 13. "Then let us no more criticize and blame and pass judgment on one another, but rather decide and endeavor never to put a stumbling block or an obstacle or a hindrance in the way of a brother."

v. 14 "I know and am convinced (persuaded) as one in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is [forbidden as] essentially unclean (defiled and unholy in itself). But [none the less] it is unclean (defiled and unholy) to anyone who thinks it is unclean."

v 15. "But if your brother is being pained or his feelings hurt or if he is being injured by what you eat, [then] you are no longer walking in love. [You have ceased to be living and conducting yourself by the standard of love toward him.] Do not let what you eat hurt or cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died!"

If we properly understand what Paul is saying in verse 13, then we can easily apply it's meaning to verse 15, exchanging the words "what you eat" with whatever harmful actions that a person might be partaking of. For the sake of clarity let's take a look at verse 15 again applying the interpretation taken from verse 13:

v 15. "But if your brother is being pained or his feelings hurt or if he is being injured by your actions, [then] you are no longer walking in love. [You have ceased to be living and conducting yourself by the standard of love toward him.] Do not let your actions hurt or cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died!"

The Apostle Paul repeats the exact same sentiment in 1 Corinthians 10: 22 - 24:

v 22. "Shall we thus provoke the Lord to jealousy and anger and indignation? Are we stronger than He [that we should defy Him]?"

v 23. "All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life].

v 24. "Let no one then seek his own good and advantage and profit, but [rather] each one of the other [let him seek the welfare of his neighbor].

I believe that these verse are very clear. A believer should not partake of any behavior that would lead another to stumble. Such behaviour should be considered unchristian like and ignored. Neither you or anyone else on the boards will benefit from participating in such outlandinsh behavior.The only thing that you are accomplishing by particating in their bad behavior is to ruin your good reputation which was their intent all along.

Last edited:
C

Crossfire

People come to Christian Chat from all over the globe. There are people here from all six of the populated continents; Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Africa & AUSTRALIA These people also hold to a variety of different views. There Messianic Jews, Eastern Orthodox, Catholics, Protestants with just about every major category within Protestantism represented, as well as a variety of other Christian beliefs systems.
I accidentally hit submit as I was writing the last paragraph. I didn't get to proof read what I had written because I was too busy trying to sum everything up with the last paragraph in the limited amount of time that I had to make corrections.

C

Crossfire

The following is a proof read version of the original post. The only changes that I made were to correct a few spellings, insert a couple of missing words, bring the paragraphs closer together for easier reading and add one more small paragraph to finish things off:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People come to Christian Chat from all over the globe. There are people here from all six populated continents; Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Africa & Australia. These people also hold to a variety of different views. There are Messianic Jews, Eastern Orthodox, Catholics, Protestants with just about every major category within Protestantism represented, as well as a variety of other Christian beliefs systems.

Taking this into consideration, it's a given that not everyone is going to agree. Even those whose beliefs are very closely associated with one another can usually find some small detail to disagree on. However, there is one issue that the vast majority of us agree on and that is that in order to be saved, one must have faith in Jesus Christ and in Christ alone.

Unfortunately, there are members of this website who seem to insist that you must believe as exactly as they do or you are not saved. If you do not agree with their preferred belief system they will declare you to be a heretic or apostate. They will even go so far as to openly insult you with a variety of different names. Often times they will take something that someone else has said in passing, they will break it down and point out every little detail where they believe that you are wrong then insert their own ideals which they feel are right. While these people claim to be "defenders of truth", the real truth is that they come here looking for any opportunity to pridefully exalt themselves (using the knowledge they possess) and their belief system.

To make matters worse, any attempt by you or anyone else looking to defend their position will be met with harsh criticism. These people will twist your words to mean something other than what you originally intended to say in order to make your opinions somehow conflict with their own interpretation of they bible. They will quote scripture then provide a brief commentary explaining how wrong you are in your beliefs. This is usually where the insults and name calling begins. Unfortunately, any attempt to defend yourself or to point out their rash behavior will be viewed as demonic activity and these people will look for any and all future posts by you in order to boldly declare how you are in league with Satan.

I'm sure that this has happened to the majority of us. But what does the bible say about such behavior? There are a couple of passages found both in Romans (Chapter 14) and 1 Corinthians (Chapter 10) where the Apostle Paul singles out such bad behavior as unbecoming of a real Christian. Some might argue that if taken in proper context Paul is referring to the eating habits of traveling Apostles and Evangelists of the day. However, if you read closely you will find that Paul is actually referring to all possible bad behavior. Let's take at these scriptures:

Romans 14: 11-15

v 11. "For it is written, As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me, and every tongue shall confess to God [acknowledge Him to His honor and to His praise]"

v 12. "And so each of us shall give an account of himself [give an answer in reference to judgment] to God."

v 13. "Then let us no more criticize and blame and pass judgment on one another, but rather decide and endeavor never to put a stumbling block or an obstacle or a hindrance in the way of a brother."

v. 14 "I know and am convinced (persuaded) as one in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is [forbidden as] essentially unclean (defiled and unholy in itself). But [none the less] it is unclean (defiled and unholy) to anyone who thinks it is unclean."

v 15. "But if your brother is being pained or his feelings hurt or if he is being injured by what you eat, [then] you are no longer walking in love. [You have ceased to be living and conducting yourself by the standard of love toward him.] Do not let what you eat hurt or cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died!"

If we properly understand what Paul is saying in verse 13, then we can easily apply it's meaning to verse 15, exchanging the words "what you eat" with whatever harmful actions that a person might be partaking of. For the sake of clarity let's take a look at verse 15 again applying the interpretation taken from verse 13:

v 15. "But if your brother is being pained or his feelings hurt or if he is being injured by your actions, [then] you are no longer walking in love. [You have ceased to be living and conducting yourself by the standard of love toward him.] Do not let your actions hurt or cause the ruin of one for whom Christ died!"

The Apostle Paul repeats the exact same sentiment in 1 Corinthians 10: 22 - 24:

v 22. "Shall we thus provoke the Lord to jealousy and anger and indignation? Are we stronger than He [that we should defy Him]?"

v 23. "All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life].

v 24. "Let no one then seek his own good and advantage and profit, but [rather] each one of the other [let him seek the welfare of his neighbor].

I believe that these verse are very clear. A believer should not partake of any behavior that would lead another to stumble. Such behavior should be considered unchristian like and ignored. Neither you or anyone else on the boards will benefit from participating in such outlandinsh behavior. Keep in mind that these people already feel that they can do no wrong thus they are not worried about their own reputations due to their own sense of self righteousness. The only thing that you are accomplishing by arguing with them is to ruin your good reputation which was their intent all along.

If we profess to possess the grace of God in our lives, then let's act like it. It is impossible to truly possess the grace of God in your heart and not live it out through your own actions. Giving in to their bad behavior only goes to show your own spiritual immaturity along with theirs.

Last edited:
S

Steve4U

That's okay guy.

As one of a number of people here from a first-world Western nation larger than Great Britain in the Pacific, we won't hold it against you.

I like your post.

At least you mentioned our main island, which we call "West Island", known to the inhabitants as Australia. We had power flight here before the Wright brothers and one of our scientists was the first to split the atom, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, well said. I don't partake in many of the discussions for the above reasons, but have of course been concerned about what 'young' Christians might see. I hope your post is taken to heart.

The fruit of the Spirit is obvious, and the tongue of the wise promotes health.