Bandwidth Optimization

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
CC Chat happens to be really bandwidth consuming - and that can be understood being a live audio/video streaming chat.

However, there is an option for low speed internet or dial up.

Except on usage , I did not find any significant difference in latency. Does anyone else find the same?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
​I know absolutely nothing about bandwidth..lol.. but the Opera browser is excellent if you have a slower dial-up connection. :)

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
Hmmm, my question was browser independent :p Bandwidth meaning the range of data consumption...

And honestly I am not an Opera fan. It's so slow to catch up with the semantic web, and is not that crafty with AJAX support.

In fact most of the newer versions of all browsers seemed to modelled on Chrome.

The reason Opera probably worked good on slow internet connections was because of it's average javascript handling. It's like coincidental advantage.

I dislike that in philosophy haha. :D

P

psychomom

Hmmm, my question was browser independent :p Bandwidth meaning the range of data consumption...

And honestly I am not an Opera fan. It's so slow to catch up with the semantic web, and is not that crafty with AJAX support.

In fact most of the newer versions of all browsers seemed to modelled on Chrome.

The reason Opera probably worked good on slow internet connections was because of it's average javascript handling. It's like coincidental advantage.

I dislike that in philosophy haha. :D
what? a heart for Jesus and a genius??

love you, Rachel. ♥

U

Ugly

The low speed/dial up option simply means no video is displayed. It pops up the chatters avatar instead.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
The low speed/dial up option simply means no video is displayed. It pops up the chatters avatar instead.
Yes, I noticed that. However chat still didn't become lightweight for me. There was still a lot of latency. Just wondering if others noticed that.

what? a heart for Jesus and a genius??

love you, Rachel. ♥

Ellie!!! Love you too. Not a genius, the bandwidth of my brain needs to be optimized :p

but the heart yes - it's getting expanded everytime, and only because of Jesus!!!!

Yay!!!!!!

*hugs* Ellie!!

djness

May 16, 2014
CC Chat happens to be really bandwidth consuming - and that can be understood being a live audio/video streaming chat.

However, there is an option for low speed internet or dial up.

Except on usage , I did not find any significant difference in latency. Does anyone else find the same?
What program are you using to chart the differences?

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
What program are you using to chart the differences?
To me, latency was quite perceptible as a human. In fact, I would say that having it on high speed actually proved to be a better experience.

Of course, there's always the jitter, lag and slowing down of the room.

I just wanted to know if anyone had a better experience with the dial up option.

To be honest, I don't have the time to really measure out all the bandwidth and packet loss . :(

My network , I anyway peg to be really abysmal.
However , I think wireshark would be my go-to for this - the I/O graphs are pretty useful when it comes to measuring latency.

djness

May 16, 2014
To me, latency was quite perceptible as a human. In fact, I would say that having it on high speed actually proved to be a better experience.

Of course, there's always the jitter, lag and slowing down of the room.

I just wanted to know if anyone had a better experience with the dial up option.

To be honest, I don't have the time to really measure out all the bandwidth and packet loss . :(

My network , I anyway peg to be really abysmal.
However , I think wireshark would be my go-to for this - the I/O graphs are pretty useful when it comes to measuring latency.
I unfortunately wouldn't be able to help with this as my cable speed is high enough I wouldn't see a difference.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
i do fine with the "dial-up" option. until some boneheads start posting images, in which i hit the bandwidth roof and everything just locks.

so i quit going in chat, since inconsiderate jerks can't stop posting images even when asked not to.

U

Ugly

By 'inconsiderate jerks' you mean people who are paying to use this feature should stop? There's always going to be someone who has the issue you're having. And while it does suck for people in your situation, it is a feature of the site and people aren't going to stop using it. And they're paying for that right.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
By 'inconsiderate jerks' you mean people who are paying to use this feature should stop? There's always going to be someone who has the issue you're having. And while it does suck for people in your situation, it is a feature of the site and people aren't going to stop using it. And they're paying for that right.
yes it is inconsiderate. especially when asked not to do it since it laggs people like me out.

But i guess since I am poor and can not pay money, nor afford super dooper fast net. Oh well, never again will I go in chat period.

And also putting those features in anyway just reeks of bad web design anyway.

and yes, I still stand by my inconsiderate jerks comment.