BAPTISED INTO CHRIST, NOT WATER

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

ib4gzus

WATER BAPTISM......This is probably one of the most confusing and divisive issues in the professing church today. Some baptize babies, others only baptize adults. Some baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, while others baptize in the name of Jesus Christ. Some sprinkle, some dunk, some pour. It would seem like God would have given us some clear instruction for the practice of baptism in the dispensation of grace that would dismiss all the confusion.
Thankfully, He has!

First, we must understand that there is only one baptism for the body of Christ (Eph 4:4-6). But what is the nature of this one baptism? The word baptize literally means "to immerse." But when we read about baptism in the Bible, it is important to realize what the person being baptized is being baptize into. For instance John the Baptist talked about baptism with water, but also with the Holy Spirit and fire (Mat 3:11). So what kind of baptism is Paul referring to?
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
In this passage, Paul talks about a baptism, or immersion, into Christ and into his death. It is important to note that water is not mentioned anywhere in the passage. It can be said that this is a dry baptism. We can deduce from this passage that this baptism occurs at the time of salvation, since it is the baptism into death which assures the resurrection from the dead.
1 Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
Here we have a baptism which is performed by the Holy Spirit in which the believer is immersed, not into water, but into the one body of Christ. Once again, this baptism occurs at salvation since that is when the believer becomes a member of that body. Since there is only one baptism in this dispensation, this is the same baptism that we looked at previously in Romans 6.
Gal 3:27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Once again, Paul teaches that the one baptism for today is a baptism into Christ, not a baptism into water.
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Like Romans 6, Paul here shows that our baptism is not a baptism into mere water, but is an immersion and an identification with Christ himself. It is an identification with his death, but also an identification with his resurrecton. No mere water ceremony could achieve this.
Some will say, "But Paul baptized with water!" This is quite correct. In his early ministry at Corinth, for instance, Paul baptized a few believers. But notice Paul’s comments concerning these water baptisms.
1 Cor 1:14I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
1 Cor 1:15Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
1 Cor 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
1 Cor 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
Paul did baptize in his early ministry, but as he received more of the revelation and a clearer understanding of the mystery, he soon abandoned the practice as being superfluous in light of the one baptism that we receive at salvation.

B

ByGraceSaved

Rightly Dividing

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 Guidelines in which to follow[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1. Rightly divide the scriptures[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2 Timothy 2:15: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]a. Determine where the scripture is being taken from[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]b. Who is writing[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]c. To whom is it being written to[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]d. What Age are we in[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif](Times Past=Genesis to Acts,[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]But Now=Romans thru Philemon,[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Ages To Come=Hebrews thru Revelation)[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]2. Compare scripture with scripture[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]1 Corinthians 2:13: Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Note: No single scripture interprets itself[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]2 Peter 1:20: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Note: All scripture is for our learning[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Romans 15:4: For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

Water Baptism was for Israel
[/FONT]

The Nation of Israel was to be a kingdom of priests when the kingdom is set up on earth.
Exodus 19:6:
And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These [are] the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
1 Peter 2:9
:
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

There were two things that had to be done to be a priest of God. They had to be washed in water, and they had to be anointed.
Exodus 40:12: ...and wash them with water.
Exodus 40:15: And thou shalt anoint them,...

John 3:5
:
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Ezekiel 36:22: Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD;...
Ezekiel 36:25: Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean:...
Ezekiel 36:26
:
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
Isaiah 61:6
:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] But [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ye shall be[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] named [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the Priests of the LORD[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]: [men] shall call you [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the Ministers of our God[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.[/FONT]

When John baptized(washing of water) Christ and the Spirit of God(the anointing) descended upon him
(Matthew 3:16)
he fulfilled the requirement of high priest.
Acts 10:38: How
God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power:..
Hebrews 9:11
:
...Christ being come an high priest...

Acts 13:23
:
Of this man's seed(David) hath God according to [his] promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

Acts 13:24: When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.
Water baptism is not a part of the gospel message that saves us for today.
[/FONT]
1 Corinthians 1:17
:
- For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
[/FONT]
If water baptism were a part of the gospel message and necessary to salvation, Paul the apostle would be saying, “I thank God none of you are saved.” This is obviously unthinkable. So therefore, we learn without question that water baptism is not part of the saving message (gospel); it is not a condition of salvation.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1 Corinthians 6:11: - ...but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. [/FONT]
The Baptism of The Holy Spirit that saves Jew and Gentile today-
whereby The Holy Spirit places us into The Body of Christ
[/FONT]

1 Corinthians 12:12
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
1 Corinthians 12:13
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] by one Spirit[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](The Holy Spirit)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] are we all baptized[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](not of water but by The Holy Spirit)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] into one body[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](the body of Jesus Christ)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif], [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]whether [we be] Jews or Gentiles, whether [we be] bond or free; and have been all made to drink[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] into one Spirit. [/FONT]
Ephesians 1:13
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] - [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]In whom[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica](Jesus Christ)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] ye also [trusted], [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]after that ye[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica](Jesus Christ)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] also after that[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] ye believed, [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]ye were[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.[/FONT]

G

godsron

If water baptism was not needed Jesus would not have done it. This is weak theology saying "not water baptism" Jesus said it becometh us to fulfill ALL righteousness. The Spirit, water, and blood agree in one. You must be washed in the blood, baptised by water, and baptised in the Holy Ghost. All 3 of these is one baptism as the scripture shows. Like I said if it wasn't needed Jesus himself would not have done it. He even commanded his disciples before he ascended. Search the scriptures for in them ye think ye have eternal life.

A

Abiding

If water baptism was not needed Jesus would not have done it. This is weak theology saying "not water baptism" Jesus said it becometh us to fulfill ALL righteousness. The Spirit, water, and blood agree in one. You must be washed in the blood, baptised by water, and baptised in the Holy Ghost. All 3 of these is one baptism as the scripture shows. Like I said if it wasn't needed Jesus himself would not have done it. He even commanded his disciples before he ascended. Search the scriptures for in them ye think ye have eternal life.
Your right, Jesus was a prophet, and a priest. There was in the law a requirement for Him to be baptised
in water. To fulfill all the law. A ceremonial cleansing.

Are you under the law?

Last edited:
G

godsron

No I am under grace, but I still have to follow the law. Jesus said he came not to destroy the law but to fulfill. Sin taking occasion by a commandment decieves us, and by it slays us. So if you know to dogood and do it not, it is sin

G

godsron

Another thing to point out is that Jesus commanded them to baptize people in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost(Jesus) and He said," if ye love me, keep my commandments" those were his exact words...to keep his commandments shows we love him, that we obey him. Any command from him becomes law. Part of the definition of a law is that it cannot be changed. It is an absolute. The disciples obeyed that command and if you read through acts you will see that they followed his command by baptizing in water. It is supposed to be symbolic of Jesus burial and resurrection. It is the answer of a good conscience toward God

Feb 11, 2012

Here is a Summery of What is Being taught in the Present Day Churches:

How is the Old Man Kept Alive?
1) Brought into Kingdom, in his sins, told clean up later
2) Made Positional Righteous by Imputation
3) Gradually Sanctified by this ‘inward’ cleaning of Spirit
4) Saved IN your sin, not OUT of them!

What Does this Imply to a Professing Christian?
1) Since Desires gradually change by degree, the sin is not a serious matter, but Nature.
2) Admonishment or Rebuke is OUT of question because God is Working on them
3) The WHOLE System is aimed at Reforming the Carnal (Old) man.
4) The Work is NEVER Complete until final Redemption, because no one is Perfect & God Doesn’t expect the sin to ever Stop in this life.
5) Thus a HUGE Gray area exists where sin remains ‘unaccountable’, because you were Born a sinner and its God’s Task to Cleanse it out of you.

Therefore, Instead of Repentance (Godly Sorrow for sin & Clearing)
1) Try to Reform their conduct with counseling
2) Offer Self Help Books, tapes, Courses, Ethics studies, Discussion groups, ect
3) Preach flowery Sermons about ‘Doing Right thing’ & Being a good person, with the WARNINGS removed of course. (always cushion it, soften the message)

This System is in place Unanimously, without exception. And it’s the reason for the Massive degradation and moral decay in our churches and society at large. The Church leaders are Blinded to it and WILL NOT even consider correcting their error. They are Wholly CONVINCED they are Preaching the Gospel of Christ and bringing people to Salvation! But the Bondage to Sin Remains and the Corruption is getting worse. This dilemma Explains a great deal however about the conditions among professing Christians today.
Because they have the Gospel in Reverse:
1) Sinful behavior cannot be admonished or even brought to the attention of the church
2) The Warnings in Scripture against sin are avoided and played down
3) It’s assumed that everyone, including the pastor, sins all the time and can’t help doing it
4) Doing the Right thing is ‘WORKS’ and anathema to all!
5) Repentance has NOTHING to do with Actually Stopping the sin
6) And the Old man is Crucified in Stages, Gradually dying to the world.

WHEN is the Old Man Crucified? (In Stages or in the Process of Repentance?)
Let’s see what the Bible REALLY has to say:

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. Gal 2:20

And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Gal5:24

Is Paul Speaking of a PAST Action or Something that Happens by Degree?

‘Have Crucified’ (here is the Greek Translation:)

5777 Tense - Aorist

The aorist tense is characterized by its emphasis on punctiliar action; that is, the concept of the verb is considered without regard for past, present, or future time. There is no direct or clear English equivalent for this tense, though it is generally rendered as a simple past tense in most translations.

The events described by the aorist tense are classified into a number of categories by grammarians. The most common of these include a view of the action as having begun from a certain
point ("inceptive aorist"), of having ended at a certain point ("cumulative aorist"), or merely existing at a certain point ("punctiliar aorist"). The categorization of other cases can be found in Greek reference grammars.
The English reader need not concern himself with most of these finer points concerning the aorist tense, since in most cases they cannot be rendered accurately in English translation, being fine points of Greek exegesis only. The common practice of rendering an aorist by a simple English past tense should suffice in most cases.

It’s A DONE DEAL! Paul is CLEARLY Speaking about something that happened in a Precise and Particular timeframe, in Reference to PUTTING to Death the Old Man with his Passions and Desires,
(Outlined in Gal5:19-21) Contrasted with the Fruit of the Spirit, (Gal 5:22-23) that Came about BECAUSE THOSE WHO BELONG (in Christ) have ALREADY Crucified the Old man.

More Proof! ‘I AM Crucified with Christ’ (Greek Translation)

5778 Tense - Perfect

The perfect tense in Greek corresponds to the perfect tense in English, and describes an action which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be
repeated.

Therefore it is NOT On-Going, A Process, Something that happens by Degree or Gradually.

Rom 6 Also Bears this out.
1) ‘Is Crucified with Him’ Verse 6, ‘Already Done’
2) Body of Sin Destroyed, V: 6 ‘Already Done’
3) United or Planted together with Him through Baptism unto Death, V: 5 ‘Already Done’
4) Buried with Him through Baptism unto Death, V: 4 ‘Already Done’

WITHOUT A DOUBT Rom6 is Speaking of Initial Salvation, no Dispute. Thus the Death of the Old man is TAKING Place in REPENTANCE. (The Baptism of repentance, (Mk1:4, Lk3:3, Acts 13:24, 19:24)

It all Happens in the Baptism of Repentance! The Regeneration, (New Birth!) the Washing, (Clearing of wrong doing, removal of guilt) Renewing of Mind and Heart by Spirit, (The Newness of life !)
IN CHRIST you become a NEW Man, BABE, Teachable, Easily Molded into New Image. THEN you can GROW, Mature, Overcome. But NOT WITHOUT This Firm Foundation at Beginning

G

godsron

John the baptist said to bring forth fruits meet(needful) for repentance. A person must repent and be washed in the blood. But they have to be baptized by water and the Holy Ghost. Jesus did everything to be our example. We must be "born again of the water and of the spirit"