Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Apostle Paul was not sent by God to baptize in water

This is the point
What did Paul mean by his comment that he was not sent to baptize? (1Cor. 1:17) Various scriptures prove Paul’s comment has been taken out of context by many.

It is clear that Paul’s statement points to his primary ministry being to preach the gospel. And water baptism in the name of Jesus is part of that message: Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 8:35-40, 10:44-48, 16:14-15, 16:28-33, 18:6-10, 19:1-6, 22:16. Ananias commanded Paul to be baptized to wash away his sins. (Acts 22:16) In addition, Paul rebaptized the Ephesians in water even though they had previously been water baptized by John. That's because the NT water baptism was to be done in the name of Jesus. (Acts 19:1-6) This happened 20+ years after the command was first given at Pentecost. These records indicate Paul understood water baptism was part of the gospel message. Paul’s comment then could not have been intended to mean what some mistakenly believe.

Scripture informs us that Paul preached about water baptism but rarely performed actual water baptisms himself.

Paul mentions Crispus by name as one he did personally baptize. (1 Cor. 1:14) A careful study of the baptism of Crispus gives insight. The scripture reference is Acts 18:6-10. The record shows that Crispus AND ALL of those of his household and MANY Corinthians believed Paul's message and were baptized. (verse 8) This verse alone confirms Paul’s message included the need to be baptized in water. So of the entire group, the chief ruler of the synagogue, Crispus, was the only one that Paul actually baptized himself. (see 1 Cor. 1:14) Clearly, someone else was with Paul and performed the other water baptisms. Further it should be noted that on that very night the Lord gave Paul a vision. He told him to continue speaking/sharing the message without fear. (Acts 18:9-10)

Acts 18:6-10
And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.
And he departed thence, and entered into a certain man's house, named Justus, one that worshipped God, whose house joined hard to the synagogue.

And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized. (Paul’s comments in 1 Cor. 1:14 establish that this was water baptism.)

Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
When priests were baptized it was a symbolic cleansing before they assumed their duties,
commanded by God. I don't really see that as being different. Water does not wash away
people's sins. Jesus certainly had no sins to wash away. His baptism fulfilled all righteous
because the law commanded priests be baptized, and Jesus fulfilled every jot and tittle of
the law. Baptism did not originate with Christians or with John. To add to what I have said,
I will include something GQ says: Jews practiced baptism as a traditional act of purification
and the initiation of converts to Judaism long before the coming of the Messiah.
The difference is OT washings were symbolic as you mentioned. Whereas obedience to the NT command of water baptism in the name of Jesus actually remits sin as stated within scripture. (Acts 2:38, 22:16)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The difference is OT washings were symbolic as you mentioned. Whereas obedience to the NT command
of water baptism in the name of Jesus actually remits sin as stated within scripture. (Acts 2:38, 22:16)
I believe the shed righteous blood of Jesus Christ cleansed me of sin, reconciled me to God, and
attained life ever after for me, via grace through faith, and I also believe Scripture makes that plain.

Water is simply symbolic of cleansing, baptism being the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.

May 14, 2022
What did Paul mean by his comment that he was not sent to baptize? (1Cor. 1:17) Various scriptures prove Paul’s comment has been taken out of context by many.

It is clear that Paul’s statement points to his primary ministry being to preach the gospel. And water baptism in the name of Jesus is part of that message: Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 8:35-40, 10:44-48, 16:14-15, 16:28-33, 18:6-10, 19:1-6, 22:16. Ananias commanded Paul to be baptized to wash away his sins. (Acts 22:16) In addition, Paul rebaptized the Ephesians in water even though they had previously been water baptized by John. That's because the NT water baptism was to be done in the name of Jesus. (Acts 19:1-6) This happened 20+ years after the command was first given at Pentecost. These records indicate Paul understood water baptism was part of the gospel message. Paul’s comment then could not have been intended to mean what some mistakenly believe.

Scripture informs us that Paul preached about water baptism but rarely performed actual water baptisms himself.

Paul mentions Crispus by name as one he did personally baptize. (1 Cor. 1:14) A careful study of the baptism of Crispus gives insight. The scripture reference is Acts 18:6-10. The record shows that Crispus AND ALL of those of his household and MANY Corinthians believed Paul's message and were baptized. (verse 8) This verse alone confirms Paul’s message included the need to be baptized in water. So of the entire group, the chief ruler of the synagogue, Crispus, was the only one that Paul actually baptized himself. (see 1 Cor. 1:14) Clearly, someone else was with Paul and performed the other water baptisms. Further it should be noted that on that very night the Lord gave Paul a vision. He told him to continue speaking/sharing the message without fear. (Acts 18:9-10)

Acts 18:6-10
And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.
And he departed thence, and entered into a certain man's house, named Justus, one that worshipped God, whose house joined hard to the synagogue.

And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized. (Paul’s comments in 1 Cor. 1:14 establish that this was water baptism.)

Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.
Apostle Paul doesn't have teaching about water baptism

Baptism into Christ is spiritual not by water

---

Baptism into name of Christ is to be called christian

Baptism into Christ not to be called but to be in Christ