Barely hanging on

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

Since my husband told me he was divorcing me about a month ago because I was talking to my pastors whom he has issues with, I' ve been struggling just to keep going with daily life. Two days after he said he was done, I left for Africa on a 3 week missions trip. He refused to go back to our church, to counseling, or to talk to anyone who could help him. When I returned, he had gone to see our counselor twice, my apartment was clean, and there were flowers. Everything was great for about a week, but then he became increasingly more depressed. He was crying everyday, completely shutting down. He wouldn't do anything. I asked him at least 10 times over the course of a week to do some things and nothing ever got done. He taken to snooping in my email and my text messages. He is suspicious of everything. He reads into everything. I've been continuing with our counselor. Sometimes he comes, but other times he either blows her off or doesn't bother to make an appt. This whole situation is destroying me. I feel like the most important dreams I ever had will never be realized.
I don't trust my husband. In his right mind he would never do anything to hurt me, but he's not in his right mind. He throws tantrums and I'm afraid that I'm going to be caught in one of his tantrums and be hurt. I also don't know what he's capable of and what the enemy will convince him to do if he allows him to.
My husband is not the same person I married. He is not the same person I dated for 5 years. He has no desire for anything that used to bring him joy. He feels like his character is gone, but he won't accept that his character is not determined by what people think of him. And he won't accept that what he believes to be their opinion of them may be a huge exaggeration of their true feelings. He used to devour the word. He used to talk about it all the time. He used to aspire to preach and minister. He doesn't want to do any of that any more.
Recently, he's found a new church, and he told me yesterday that he's not coming back to our church. He says that he'll never require me to go to church with him, but he's gto me in a bind and he knows it. He knows that he doesn't have to require it of me for me to know it's what I'm supposed to do. I'm sick of my husbands cowardice. All this has come about because he would not sit down (maybe several times) and work through things with two of our pastors. The pastors have reached out over and over, and Ryan has not done much to reciprocate.
I'm really sick of this. I don't know what to do. I'm not allowed to talk to anyone about him or us except for our counselor whom I only see once a week... and one other person (except he has a problem with every person I've chosen). My pastors are a part of my support system... They have practically raised me. My church is my family. I've been here 10 years. This is where I learned most of what I know about God. These are the people I've worked my butt off to have relationship with (which does not come easy to me). These people are my family... and my husband wants me to a) not talk to them, b) make another family because he's not willing to deal with his own issues.
I feel hopeless. I feel like I will never have the family. I've dreamed of kids since I was a kid... and with my husband it's not even a possibility. I feel like I want unity in my marriage, but that my husband's sin is making this too complicated. I feel like if I moved church's I may be supporting my husbands sin, and doing that will not bring unity. I feel like not moving churches will create more space between us, and if I did end up pregnant somehow, it wouldn't be an optimal environment to raise a family.
What the heck do I do? I feel like I'm caught in a no win situation. But then scripture says God works all things together for our good.

M

Maya86

I pray that God shines His love, light, peace and wisdom into both your hearts and shows you two the things you need to do to heal this marriage.

*hugs*

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Just rest in him and let him have it, he will work out everything else.
Be blesses

N

NMsmile

Jesus Jordache needs you during this very confusing and distressing time. Lord God I ask you to give her peace and patience. I ask that you soften her heart as well as her husbands. Lord God I ask you to shift her focus from what is wrong ... to you ... Jesus I don't know what is going on in her husband's mind right now but I am encouraged that he is going to church. Jesus continue doing what you are doing because out of it something good will happen. Holy Father I ask you to grant Jordache supernatural maturity to hold her tongue, temper her emotions so that she has peace in you, rein in her mind so that so gives control to you. Heavenly Father remove the anger that is so apparent through out her request. God assist her to honor her husband. Amen.

B

Brighthouse

Now that I have heard your side of the coin,I would like to here his side.I do not doubt anything you are saying,but at the same time,how can one really judge anything hearing only one side? I sure cannot. It sounds as if a wedge has been placed between you and your husband due to outsiders telling you what you should do? I know, you said your Church is your family,I also know this scripture!( Matt 19:5-6!) This is not a judgment against you!! But what goes on between a man and a woman should be between a man and a woman unless both parties want someone else to get involved.So I will be praying for you both!!I sense quite a bit, you are not telling us.Which is ok, none of our affairs!! But I for one would like to here the complete story, before I speak on this.My prayers are with you both!

Y

yaright

There are too many examples of situations like yours to simply 'let things work themselves out." You personally need to take action. What you and your husband are going through is a potentially dangerous situation. Call women's resources and keep touch with your pastor and your friends of faith. There needs to be a distinct separation for many reasons; but the most important is your own physical and emotional health.

You may cause your husband to see that what he is trying to do is totally out of his hands. Even that may take awhile. Something has taken place in his life that he can no longer deal with. It should be evident that you personally cannot help him while he suffers these out-bursts this way. One of the most difficult things to do is remove yourself from the one thing you counted on. Take control of your life and let others help you recover.

This does not mean the end of the marriage, but it does mean something has to change.

I will certainly pray for both of you.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Praying for both of you in Jesus Christ is Lord.

Hugs and God bless.
pickles

S

shekaniah

I will be praying for you both, I leave you with this verse.
Phil 1:9,10
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ

S

sloppy3

Perhaps if you had gone on holiday with him rather than dissapearing for 3 weeks to Africa on missionary work, he might have seen there was a future

Aug 25, 2011
Perhaps your husband is like me I am a man who also has similar issues perhaps Defiance is also his problem as well.

J

Jordache

Sloppy, please keep your inappropriate judgements to yourself. I spent a long time weighing many things trying to determine whether I should have gone to Africa. 1) My husband told me that he wanted me to go. In a meeting with the misson's team pastor he told us both that he would begin counseling because he wanted me to be able to go to Africa even if he couldn't. 2) I prayed long and hard about my decision. 3) I was advized by my pastors and our counselor to go to Africa. At that point our relationship was not at a point where me staying would have benefitted either of us. God called me to Africa for that time. 4) I made sure that my husband knew that I wasn't walking away. I needed to continue with my life and not let his brokeness deter me from what God had called me to. He knew that I loved him and that I was not walking away. I encouraged him to take the time while I was gone to decide if he wanted to try again. I also made sure that I could be contacted while I was in Africa just so that my husband knew that I was still willing to communicate. I did not need to take on that expense.
Brighthouse, thank you for your scripture, but I don't think it applies quite in the way you mean it to. First of all, the church is my family in faith. I am not blood related to any of them except through the blood of Jesus. This passage is in reference to moving away physically from your parents home and cleaving to your husband or wife. I have done that. My church family is not hoarding me and keeping me to themselves. I've been "cleaving" to my husband. In addition, my church family is not separating us. They are not driving a wedge between us. They have been in support of Ryan getting help. They have offered numerous times to reconcile. They have not rejected Ryan at all. They have been upset, as we all have, with his choices; but have always offered hope and reconciliation to him. While they may have said some things that were very serious, they were necessary. They have never demanded that I do anything. They have directed me to discuss certain things with my counselor. They have prayed with me. They have just offered support when I wasn't sure if I was safe, or if I needed to change direction. They have not driven a wedge.
The problem is brokeness on both our parts. I do not claim to be perfect. I do not claim to always say or do the best things, but I do try and I am trying to deal with those issues in myself that I know are there. The biggest issue is that my husband is so broken and has walked so far away from God that he is unwilling/unable to try. He has completely shut down. He refuses to go to therapy because she is holding him accountable and he takes it as insensitivity. EVERYONE has tried to be sensitive to him. Now, we haven't all succeeded all the time, but regardless, he will not take any practical steps. He lies. He breaks promises. He is completely stuck. The situation is so serious that even our therapist is shocked at how stuck he is.
Pray for my husband... He is lost. He is emotionally paralyzed. He refused medication. He refuses therapy. He refuses to take practical steps. He refuses to let anyone say something as simple as, "I know it's hard, but you still need to get a job."

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
Have you tried asking him gently what's been bugging him?

grizzly

Jul 9, 2010
Sis I dont know the whole situation. But i do know how hard it is for a man when hes lost a job. Im not sure if thats what happened but let me tell you my story this may help. I became disabled over two years ago now. I had worked all my life from age 14 to provide for myself and to help my mom with house hold bills I did my best at everything i ever did. Then one day my body just wouldnt let me do it anymore i had worn out my back and it had started to hurt really bad. I was living with my folks and i knew that my income was helping them so it hit me really hard. I went into a deep depression and i mean as bad as it gets i was on 4 different meds for depression and i got addicted to pain killers because i didnt want to live. God delivered me from that part of it but the emotional scars of not having a job still haunted me. I met the most wonderful woman in the world about a year ago. And because of what i was feeling inside ( insecurity, not feeling like a man etc.) we went through a lot of stuff. She praise God has stuck it out with me. She did all the things you did and got just about as fed up. Then one day i went to my pastor and told him whats up. He told me why i was feeling the way i did and told me how to solve it. He said Men find fullfillment in thier work. God put that inside a man to want to work and provide for his family. Your husband is no different. He may think you dont understand or dont know what hes going through. And as a man I can tell you its the hardest thing to do is to admit weakness. He may not want you to see him that way. However dont give up!! The most powerful thing you can do is pray for him. there is nothing more powerful than the power of a praying woman. Annoint his side of the bed with oil and pray over it every day. Put a scripture in his lunch. And remember. Gods word never comes back void. One more thing, if you think hes gonna hurt you i would suggest you find someone you trust to stay with for a lil while. Sometimes men need a wake up call. This may be what ya need to do. PRAY BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. SEEK GODS FACE AND LISTEN TO HIS VOICE. Ill be praying for you!!

J

Jordache

Thank you Grizz and Lil_Christian...
Ryan and I have been married for two years, but together for 7. I have asked him gently over and over again. He knows what's bothering him. I know most of what's bothering him. He has told me, but at this point, it is more medical/physical than mental/emotional.
I do understand that men find a lot of value in their job. And yes, that is contributing to his problem. However, it's a lot deeper than that. Imagine a 7-year-old and you have my husband. I do not say that to be mean. It's just the truth. He is stuck emotionally at 7-years-old. He has ADD and was put in a private school that believe ADD was an excuse for bad behavior. They also believed in corporal punishment. My husband got paddled and punished for things he could not control. My husband, in his right mind, is not malicious. He was not a bad kid. He was just very unfocused and he got paddled an otherwise abused because of it. He had a teacher at a Christian school tell him he probably wasn't even a Christian because he was misbehaving on purpose. In addition, shortly after we began dating, Ryan's mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. She died on Mother's Day 3 years later. His mother was the buffer between he and his dad. They do not communicate well. They cannot stand to be in the room with eachother sometimes. Ryan refuses to do simple tasks. Apparently he always has. I did not realize the extent of it while we were dating since his dad is a little strange and anal retentive. But Ryan just won't do things he doesn't like to do. When he was little, he wouldn't clean his room. He wouldn't do his chores. He wouldn't walk ten feet to get the tv remote. Now, he won't take out the trash. He won't do laundry. I'm not trying to be petty. These are just practical things he won't do. He won't get job applications. He won't take showers. he won't follow up on jobs. He won't do his homework. He doesn't accept responsibility when something that is hard for him doesn't get done. It's not that he doesn't say he will do these things, they are just never a priority. Typical conversation: I'm on my way out the door to work. Me: "Can you please make sure you take out the trash today?" I come home. "What'd you do today?" "I was so busy. I woke up at 10 and I watched part of a movie. I got ready, but then (his sister) called me and needed me to get her lunch because she really wanted McDonald's and the babies were too crazy today. So I left at 12:00 for her house. I talked to her and checked my facebook. Then it was already 3. She had to leave to drop mail of at the post office, so I stayed with the kids. Then by the time I realized what time it was, it was already time to pick you up." "Ok" I say, "can you please take it out now?" "Ahhh. I'm so tired. I promise I'll do it before I go to bed." So it goes on with more excuses for days.
I know my husband is broken. I know he's been hurt. I know he's got issues. That's not the problem. The problem is that he's not dealing with them. While I was gone he applied for 3 jobs. He has done zero follow up. He is supposed to work tomorrow, but he hasn't called the person to get all the information. He spends all day with his sister. His sister feels like she has no choice but to let him come over because he's far enough gone that no one know's what he'll do if left alone. He won't talk to anyone. Worse yet, he won't talk to anyone about me. I'm more than willing to accept that I am far from perfect. I'm definately flawed. I'm also honored (in a way) that he refuses to talk about me to anyone--even the counselor. But it's unhealthy and he thinks it's just the right thing to do. I've told him over and over that it's ok to talk/vent about me, but he refuses. He has been asked to do a dozen things by me and the counselor like fill out applications, update his resume, help around the house, etc. but he just won't do it... He's "too busy". He's "too tired".

B

Brighthouse

Blessing Jordache! I have rewritten this about 5 time already! Because I myself have never been married,although there is a lady in my life I truly love,i have no right to tell you what you should,or should not do! I do not know either of you.I noticed the wedge part bothered you a lot,sorry,it was not meant to!

It is just I have seen many who wanted to help,only hurt.I am sure your Church and those you trust in it meant no harm! So without knowing either of you,I find it most difficult to speak from any knowledge other then the Lord in me. I personally do not understand why a man would hurt those he says he loves? But one thing is for certain!! He hates the very ground he walks on,for whatever reason,and those in his path only remind him of where he is in the Lord presently, which from what you have said is at best, not good at all!

I know a man,who was much like this man.In order for him to wake up,he had to lose everything around him,he was at first very happy!! He believed he was free,but later he found he was in worse bondage then when he first started out! What is important for you right now,is that you yourself need an escape!( 1 Cor 10:13) I know you love the Lord,so this is what I will be praying for! Blessing to you!!

J

Jordache

I was ok with the wedge idea. I understand it, and I know it wasn't in judgement; but I don't agree with it. My church is not trying to break us up. They are trying to help us work things out. They are paying for me to go to counseling. Another donor is paying for my husband. They have never told me to separate from or divorce my husband. They have mentioned that separation may need to become an option, but have always lead me to discuss the final decision with my God and my counselor. They are trying to keep me safe as I'm am just learning to do it for myself. They are also trying to get Ryan to get help. There's much more but I must go for now.

Aug 25, 2011
I know from my own experience's that sometimes the hardest thing to do is "Stand Against the Wind" is a book written by Erwin Raphael McManus is designed to awaken the hero within. This book is short and filled with much scripture has helped me so much I bought at a garage sale for .50 cents. If possible see if this is something he might like.

Y

yaright

I am seeing that you have a need to talk with people you hope are friends in Christ; Not always saying what you want to hear. It is evident you have frustration built up in you; but you are doing something about it by talking about it.

I don't think this thread should come to an end any time soon; what you are sharing causes people to consider who they are and why they are that way in God's sight. "As you speak, don't you also learn?" is a powerful concept among Christians, that works like food for the soul, salve for the wounds, and a light which sheds knowledge that overcomes doubts and fears.

If you personally want to heal from these spiritual wounds that may have been inflicted by you and your husband, than continue to shift sails to tack towards a better person in Christ, at the best speed the knowledge of your journey through life can attain.

Are you nearly done with retching of the things which seem to have made your life impossible? That's how I felt in the beginnings of my talking about the things which really troubled me. It was awful!

Along with anything that still remains in you, that you detest, I would like to hear from you anything positive you personally have done. Do you visit family, do you have a hobby, do you escape to some place or something you do that is peaceful, that you enjoy doing? What good are you able to work out in your life today? Both need to take place our lives when we are troubled. It wasn't enough for me to talk about the things that troubled me. It's possible that some of them may never be resolved; but I couldn't find anything good in my life until I began to work good out in the day. Little by little, life began to open up to me, and at the same time I learned to forgive even myself. Praying for God's forgiveness is one thing; fully believing it is another.

If you were to take a sigh of relieve, like a breath of fresh air....,what would be the next thing on your mind to do?

J

Jordache

The good things in my life... hmmm. You are correct. Things are so overwhelming right now that finding the good, while beneficial seems almost impossible. However, there is some. My mother has come back to the Lord within the last year. She is fully committed and is finally starting to work through some of her issues. She is hearing from the Lord. She is praying. She is learning to be stronger. She looks up to me as her spiritual mentor in a way. She asks me for scripture. She asks for my wisdom. She trusts me with spiritual things.
I am in therapy which I've been unable to do for many years. As difficult as it is, I know that it's where God wants me.
God is growing confidence in me. I've been writing music since I learned to pick up a pencil. I've never had the guts to share it with anyone. In the next couple of weeks I will be submitting 3 for a recording project going on at my church.
God has grown worship in me. Worship is what keeps me alive. I can't help but give my all in worship and it has proven a great safe haven for me. I live and breathe worship. I subsist off of psalmic purging. Music has always been a hobby, but never THIS important.
When I first moved away from home, I walked about 20 miles a week to and from church. While everyone seemed to think I was nuts, and some of the reason I was doing it were not so good, I found that was one of ways that I connected with the Lord. It was a time to process, think, pray, sing, etc. Recently, I've taken it up again and it seems to be very beneficial...
I live 500 miles away from any family, but I do visit two of my neices regularly. I take the older one to the park and shopping with me, and I pick them both up from the nursery at church.
I am on my church's worship team for 2-3 weeks each month. I sing both lead and background and am able to fellowship with my worship team friends on those Sunday's and occassional Saturday's.
I attend a weekly college age bible study though I am exiting the college age group. I have good friends there who are supportive.
Recently, I've been asked to lead worship at several women's ministry events.
I recently got the opportunity to go to Africa. I was able to bring back some music from Africa to teach the congregation.

T

Tobby17

Perhaps if you had gone on holiday with him rather than dissapearing for 3 weeks to Africa on missionary work, he might have seen there was a future
Perhaps, if you'd stop provoking everyone with your posts, things would be better and we could avoid pending future troubles.. You're not a christian, so?.. Must you flaunt it so everyone knows that by your very annoying replies.. If you'd just keep to yourself.. :rolleyes: