Behavior

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
Hello again everyone!

I've had another persistent thought. Sometimes, in life, I've noticed a tendency I have to vacillate between between being a bit of a socialite or a hermit.

It's strange how the magnitude of this may change based from (I assume) certain triggers; however, it got me thinking in reference to everyone here.

Are you introverted, extroverted, or somewhere inbetween?

Do you remain active and involved in the world, passive and isolating, or do you sit/switch between the two?

What and why are your thoughts on this?

A

arwen7

Hello again everyone!

I've had another persistent thought. Sometimes, in life, I've noticed a tendency I have to vacillate between between being a bit of a socialite or a hermit.

It's strange how the magnitude of this may change based from (I assume) certain triggers; however, it got me thinking in reference to everyone here.
Are you introverted, extroverted, or somewhere inbetween?
Do you remain active and involved in the world, passive and isolating, or do you sit/switch between the two?
What and why are your thoughts on this?
I TOTALLY have that tendency, thank you for this thread! I'm either out with friends, open to meeting new people, then sometime rather not talk to anyone lol Sometimes I have to push myself to be social with certain types of people, especially if I get a vibe that makes me uncomfortable in some manner, or feel intimated. I get mad at myself because I feel like I am being judgmental and have an elitist attitude. I feel horrible. I realize why I do it and its an defense mechanism that I really need to work on, as I am sure it is giving off vibes to guys that I think myself too good for them. I am my own worst enemy really.

Last edited:
J

Jullianna

I'm a loner by nature, but I'm a friendly loner. :) I like to kid around and go a little crazy with close friends, but I'm not a fan of crowds at all.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Huge groups are not fun. Groups of 10-15 is nice most times, sometimes more for like a birthday party which normally hits 40-60 around here.

Feb 10, 2008
I don't know that I go through cycles, but I would say that I generally need a good amount of social interaction. I've always kind of been limited/most comfortable in small groups of 3-4. Any beyond that and I find I can't focus as much attention on each individual friendship as I'd like. I rarely am truly 'alone', though I think many people would consider me a loner; possibly a hermit even.

As for crowds, I avoid them if at all possible.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I know tonight I am going to a weekly event at a friends place where a bunch of us get together and cook food outside. Last week was cuban sandwiches and then garlic avocados sandwiches for vegetarians. This week is chili and sandwiches and we expect about 15 people in the front yard plus anyone who walks up out of curiosity. But then friday im going to a Mordor Laser Light Dance party that a friend of my roommate is having so I have no idea how many people will be there Im assuming minimum 40. Then friday its a friends birthday party so like 60 peple are attending that so far if you believe facebook. I just kinda meld into any size group Im around. though Im not a huge fan of things like concerts where it can number into the thousands

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
I'm probably the most like you, Reece; sometimes I like being alone, and sometimes I want the company of others. Honestly, one of my favorite social interactions is the chat room. I can eat all the pickled garlic I want and still have friends :).

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
:eek: Responses!! :p Aww...you DO care! :D

**It cut you off Arwen, Jullianna, and Nautilus (1st post)! :( I'll have to respond to y'alls' separately! :)
(I liked 'em! You'll see later...)

I don't know that I go through cycles, but I would say that I generally need a good amount of social interaction. I've always kind of been limited/most comfortable in small groups of 3-4. Any beyond that and I find I can't focus as much attention on each individual friendship as I'd like. I rarely am truly 'alone', though I think many people would consider me a loner; possibly a hermit even.

As for crowds, I avoid them if at all possible.
That makes sense, bro. A person's focus is only so limited, so it's good that you try and give that adequate attention to your friends!

I know tonight I am going to a weekly event at a friends place where a bunch of us get together and cook food outside. Last week was cuban sandwiches and then garlic avocados sandwiches for vegetarians. This week is chili and sandwiches and we expect about 15 people in the front yard plus anyone who walks up out of curiosity. But then friday im going to a Mordor Laser Light Dance party that a friend of my roommate is having so I have no idea how many people will be there Im assuming minimum 40. Then friday its a friends birthday party so like 60 peple are attending that so far if you believe facebook. I just kinda meld into any size group Im around. though Im not a huge fan of things like concerts where it can number into the thousands
The cookout sounds delicious! Mordor Laser Dancing sound fun! I hear you on the varying party group sizes, and WHERE DO YOU LIVE?!?! I mean, wow...

I'm probably the most like you, Reece; sometimes I like being alone, and sometimes I want the company of others. Honestly, one of my favorite social interactions is the chat room. I can eat all the pickled garlic I want and still have friends :).
Aww...thanks Jillies! ...and wait, you mean bad breath prevents someone from having friends?! ;)

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
Sorry about the double post, but the Multi-Quote button can only count to 3...

I TOTALLY have that tendency, thank you for this thread! I'm either out with friends, open to meeting new people, then sometime rather not talk to anyone lol Sometimes I have to push myself to be social with certain types of people, especially if I get a vibe that makes me uncomfortable in some manner, or feel intimated. I get mad at myself because I feel like I am being judgmental and have an elitist attitude. I feel horrible. I realize why I do it and its an defense mechanism that I really need to work on, as I am sure it is giving off vibes to guys that I think myself too good for them. I am my own worst enemy really.
Yay! You responded really quickly, and you're welcome!! I definitely understand having to push yourself at times that are counter to how you're feeling, and it can be hard to be non-judgmental. I encourage you to keep up the fight, though! "I am my own worst enemy..." Aren't we all?!!...:rolleyes: Big meany, me...

I'm a loner by nature, but I'm a friendly loner. :) I like to kid around and go a little crazy with close friends, but I'm not a fan of crowds at all.
I can feel ya, but it's good that you at least go crazy with your friends! :D

Huge groups are not fun. Groups of 10-15 is nice most times, sometimes more for like a birthday party which normally hits 40-60 around here.
I actually don't mind huge groups (depending on the state of mood/mind I'm in!!), but I can definitely understand having a set comfort number. I think most people do.

Thank you all for your awesome responses!!!

K

kayem77

I think I know what you're saying, sometimes I feel the same way. I have different seasons of life...sometimes I like being alone or just with my closest friends (3-4) because this way I can talk to them more intimately. But I also like making new friends, I'm a friendly kind of person and I like to get to know new people. So I don't know....I'm kind of in between. But answering to your questions...I don't really consider myself passive most of the time. I can adapt to the environment if needed. I think the reason is that situations mold me :) (to a certain degree in a healthy kind of way).

Sep 8, 2012
We all need both, social contact and alone time.
There is nothing strange about this.
Jesus went out into the desert to be away from the crowd and to pray.
Me? I like to be alone more than gadding out and about.
I notice when I'm around people alot I tend to start acting more and more like them.
I tend to start small talking and trying to fit in.
For me, it's better to be reflective than reflexive.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I live in Greensboro, NC. Haha its surprisingly active as you can tell.

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Aww...thanks Jillies! ...and wait, you mean bad breath prevents someone from having friends?! ;)
Hehe, I was wondering of someone was going to say that, Reecey (Reesies? =D). Nah, can still have friends if ya have bad breath, but it seems kinder to not force them to smell garlic, if ya know what I mean =D!

Oh, and you're welcome :).