Being "Saved" and Consequences

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
Jesus said the first and great commandment is to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, minds, and souls. He said there is a second like it, that we should love our neighbors as ourselves. He said that all the law and prophets are based on these two commandments.

There seems to be this idea floating around that at some point the Lord “saves” you and you no longer have any responsibilities. I disagree with that idea. We are to obey the two great commandments forever, and there are consequences if we don’t.

Being “saved” simply means to me that we are forgiven for past sins.

O

oncemore

Jesus said the first and great commandment is to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, minds, and souls. He said there is a second like it, that we should love our neighbors as ourselves. He said that all the law and prophets are based on these two commandments.

There seems to be this idea floating around that at some point the Lord “saves” you and you no longer have any responsibilities. I disagree with that idea. We are to obey the two great commandments forever, and there are consequences if we don’t.

So how do i keep this two commandments. And what is the consequences if i cannot?

Dec 19, 2009
So how do i keep this two commandments. And what is the consequences if i cannot?
You cannnot do anything, but if you love God and trust in his son it will be done in you by faith in Christ and the sanctification of the Holy Spirit

The trouble comes when we try to do it ourselves. It is what Christ can do in us to change us, not what we in ourselves can do

S

silverwind

Being saved means we are no longer under condemnation (condemned to hell - permanent separation from God). A place I wouldn't want to spend eternity in. We are to be immitators of Christ and of that Love he displayed, even to the point of dying for someone else.
I keep wondering how much of this love is actually being displayed in a forum such as this one? hmmm

Jun 24, 2010
You have been forgiven and cleansed of all sin and have been justified by the blood of Christ and that will never change. You are perfect in Christ positionally and that is how you stand before God as accepted and that can not be taken from you. God has imputed His perfect righteousness to you by faith when you first believed and he will not take it back. This is the love of God that has been bestowed upon us that we might be called the sons of God.

God loves us and we need to know that every day experientially. We need to know that He daily loads us with benefit of His grace and mercy because he has called us to Himself for fellowship. We need to keep ourselves in the love of God and build ourselves up in that love knowing that we can never be separated from it. The more we understand how much God loves us and laid His life down for us the more will have a capacity to love God. We love Him because he first loved us. Let God love you first and then you can reciprocate that love to God and to your neighbor.

Vladimir_Ukr

May 26, 2010
Thank all. This is a good point.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I consider we must doing as written in the Holy Scripture:
Whoever claims to live in him must
walk as Jesus did. (1st John 2:6)

"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will
of him who sent me and to finish his
work. (John 4:34)
---------------------------------------------------------------
God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

E

eternally-gratefull

There are consequences, In fact for the chld of God there are more severe consequences. For not only do the suffer the result of sin, They are chastened by the Lord. A non believer just suffers the result of the sin.

Its like two kids playing hooky who both get caught. The one child's Father (satan) does not really love him, he just laughs. so all the hcild gets is the punishment from school. The other child's father (God) who does love him, Punishes him for his crime. so this child not only recieved punishment from school (result from sin) but suffers the love of the father whatever that might be. It is much more severe for the second child.

As for being saved only from past sin. This is not right. If this is the case no one is saved. For God knows we are still going to sin. We would not be saved until we did, And pray were were right with God when we did. Which makes Christianity no better than Islam or any other pagan religion.

Scripture says we are saved, Are justified. Are declared innocent.

To say we can lose salvation is like saying every time a child disobeys their parent. They stop becoming a child, until the child repents. Then they are a child again. This goes on and on until whenever. The child would never know if he was an acutal child, or if he was kicked out. No loving parent would treat their child this way. Why would God, Who has more love for his children than any human parent ever could!

This legalistic Doctrine is dangerous. And makes God out to be a horrible parent!

O

oncemore

You have been forgiven and cleansed of all sin and have been justified by the blood of Christ and that will never change. You are perfect in Christ positionally and that is how you stand before God as accepted and that can not be taken from you. God has imputed His perfect righteousness to you by faith when you first believed and he will not take it back. This is the love of God that has been bestowed upon us that we might be called the sons of God.

God loves us and we need to know that every day experientially. We need to know that He daily loads us with benefit of His grace and mercy because he has called us to Himself for fellowship. We need to keep ourselves in the love of God and build ourselves up in that love knowing that we can never be separated from it. The more we understand how much God loves us and laid His life down for us the more will have a capacity to love God. We love Him because he first loved us. Let God love you first and then you can reciprocate that love to God and to your neighbor.
So what you are saying is i cannot love without CHRIST in me the hope of gorly he does the love. Thank you God bless.

Jan 18, 2011
There are consequences, In fact for the chld of God there are more severe consequences. For not only do the suffer the result of sin, They are chastened by the Lord. A non believer just suffers the result of the sin.

Its like two kids playing hooky who both get caught. The one child's Father (satan) does not really love him, he just laughs. so all the hcild gets is the punishment from school. The other child's father (God) who does love him, Punishes him for his crime. so this child not only recieved punishment from school (result from sin) but suffers the love of the father whatever that might be. It is much more severe for the second child.

As for being saved only from past sin. This is not right. If this is the case no one is saved. For God knows we are still going to sin. We would not be saved until we did, And pray were were right with God when we did. Which makes Christianity no better than Islam or any other pagan religion.

Scripture says we are saved, Are justified. Are declared innocent.

To say we can lose salvation is like saying every time a child disobeys their parent. They stop becoming a child, until the child repents. Then they are a child again. This goes on and on until whenever. The child would never know if he was an acutal child, or if he was kicked out. No loving parent would treat their child this way. Why would God, Who has more love for his children than any human parent ever could!

This legalistic Doctrine is dangerous. And makes God out to be a horrible parent!
Humanistic thinking and logic. Arguing from your own understanding will get you nowhere. Scripture is the only authority we can trust.

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; (Proverbs 3:5)

8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. 9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. (Luke 8:13)

E

eternally-gratefull

Humanistic thinking and logic. Arguing from your own understanding will get you nowhere. Scripture is the only authority we can trust.

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; (Proverbs 3:5)

8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. 9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

13 But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. (Luke 8:13)
I am trusting in the Lord with all my understanding. You did not say one thing which refuted what I said. What I am just supposed to listen to you?

No Thank you. My Father is not the type of father you make him out to be. That is what satan wants us to think!

Next time instead of making an ad hominem attack, try showing where I was wrong in what I said

Jan 18, 2011
I am trusting in the Lord with all my understanding. You did not say one thing which refuted what I said. What I am just supposed to listen to you?

No Thank you. My Father is not the type of father you make him out to be. That is what satan wants us to think!

Next time instead of making an ad hominem attack, try showing where I was wrong in what I said
I did. However, instead of making up my own logic about children and parents and other humanistic ideas, I used scripture. See Luke 8:13 above.

E

eternally-gratefull

I did. However, instead of making up my own logic about children and parents and other humanistic ideas, I used scripture. See Luke 8:13 above.
No what you did was use your own understanding. And made God out to be worst than a human parent.

Luke 8: 13 are people who are into clicks. They heard the word. Said they believed it. But it took no root. Why? It was not connected to the water source. Thus the root was never grounded. Which means it was NEVER SAVED! Once a child of God is born again, They are connected to the water source. Which means their root is in the ground.

These people heard it. Thought they would try it. It did not do what they thought it would (because they did not believe it in the first place. So they went to something else.

I see this happen all the time!

Jan 18, 2011
No what you did was use your own understanding.

Verbatim scripture is my own understanding? That's interesting.

And made God out to be worst than a human parent.

Your comparison is based on your own reasoning, not scripture, and therefore has no authority. Though I find it hard to see how my quoting of scripture is making God out to be anything other than what He is.

Luke 8: 13 are people who are into clicks. They heard the word. Said they believed it. But it took no root. Why? It was not connected to the water source. Thus the root was never grounded. Which means it was NEVER SAVED! Once a child of God is born again, They are connected to the water source. Which means their root is in the ground.
These people heard it. Thought they would try it. It did not do what they thought it would (because they did not believe it in the first place. So they went to something else.

I see this happen all the time!
Unfortunately, this is simply not what the verse says.

It doesn't say they appear to believe. It doesn't say that they say that they believe. It says that they believe. Therefore, they believe. For a while. And, in time of temptation, they fall away. That's what it says, and so therefore that's also what it means.

Last edited: