believe in-vs- believe on

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 18, 2011
I was going through bible gateway (the KJV version, as I always do) because of another thread regarding belief and unbelief. I would have posted this there but I didn't want to cloud the post of its original focus.

I notice that "believe in" is only used regarding children... and John 3:16. Every other use of believing in or on is on. Believe on Jesus, Believe on Christ. It is literally every other use throughout the NT out of over 50 there is only the one directed at children and john 3:16 that is in. instead of on. 1 Peter 2:6
Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

1 John 5:13
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1 Timothy 1:16
Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Philippians 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not
only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Romans 10:11
For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Acts 22:19
And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee:

any thoughts?

Mar 18, 2011
Mark 9:42
And whosoever shall offend
one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his
only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
The message here from scripture simply supports what scripture says.
That Jesus is our rock, foundation.
One cannot build in a foundation, but must build upon a foundation.
Ours is Jesus!!!

Funny, I just saw this in reading your post. :)

God bless
pickles

Mar 18, 2011
The message here from scripture simply supports what scripture says.
That Jesus is our rock, foundation.
One cannot build in a foundation, but must build upon a foundation.
Ours is Jesus!!!

Funny, I just saw this in reading your post. :)

God bless
pickles
that's awesome :) thanks

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
that's awesome :) thanks
Thankyou, , I always looked to Jesus as the rock we build on, but never saw the connection in to believe on, untill your post.
Funny how something is right in front of you, but unseen untill another points it out. :)
I do love how God works through us all! :)

God bless
pickles

Mar 18, 2011
Thankyou, , I always looked to Jesus as the rock we build on, but never saw the connection in to believe on, untill your post.
Funny how something is right in front of you, but unseen untill another points it out. :)
I do love how God works through us all! :)

God bless
pickles

yvw and thank you too, I know exactly what you mean. It's all truly amazing. The smallest thing that you've known you've known you've known just dawns on you, that even though you've known it, you somehow never truly saw it for what it was, and then POW, the blinders lift and its all new, not like it changed but like you have new eyes, praise God indeed!
And I DO love the way He uses us to help hone each other! its what fellowship is meant to be.
GOD bless you sister!

C

Crossfire

Anyone can believe in something yet it requires nothing of them. However, to believe on something requires that you actually take a stand on that principle or truth. This is the very essence of saving faith. :)