Believers in Academia

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 21, 2023
Hello all!

I was just wondering if there are any other Christian academics/students of universities here? I'm a history student myself, would look forward to speaking to others in similar or even differing fields to discuss our shared experiences.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
I graduated from university ten years ago, does that count LOL?

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I also graduated years ago with a computer science degree.
This was a long long time ago, when there were only two genders in existence.

Jun 17, 2023
I'm currently majoring in Early Childhood Care and Education. Are you enjoying your studies?

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
i did not go to any college. in a way, i went to my own college. i bought books on construction, tree removal & general landscaping. learned everything on my own & didn't have to pay anyone. however, your topic is interesting. hope you get lotz of responses.

Jun 17, 2023
Generally yes! I've just graduated, moving onto my Masters course now. How about you?
That's really great! I'm near the finish line with my Associates. My major hasn't exactly been what I expected it to be, but I'm grateful for the experiences.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I have a handful of STEM degrees.

My experience was that there are more believers around than you think, but most of them are quiet because of a few very loud atheists who carry a lot of weight, and the majority of believers simply aren't well grounded enough in knowledge and in the faith to competently argue.

also among microbiologists there are almost zero atheists. the more one studies life itself the more apparently ridiculous evolution becomes outside of divine intervention and purposeful design and control.

The constant refrain from pulpits is that universities are 100% out to turn believers into nonbelievers but that was not what I saw at all. I was there for 13 years or so. what I saw was weak Christians who couldn't stand up to easy challenges, timid people who just avoided confrontation, and overall an honest seeking after knowledge that woefully needed intelligent, grounded Christians to speak up in. there is nothing to fear. our faith is not an idiot faith, but a thinking man's belief. do your homework. bring their arguments to places like this. there are answers.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Golly would you look at all the shingles floating around and no shingrix.
:p

I got a couple of degrees and some other training programs that don't have accreditation.

Then there's all the other independent studies....once you learn how to learn there's no end to what you can.

SilverFox7

Dec 24, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I have a handful of STEM degrees.

My experience was that there are more believers around than you think, but most of them are quiet because of a few very loud atheists who carry a lot of weight, and the majority of believers simply aren't well grounded enough in knowledge and in the faith to competently argue.

also among microbiologists there are almost zero atheists. the more one studies life itself the more apparently ridiculous evolution becomes outside of divine intervention and purposeful design and control.

The constant refrain from pulpits is that universities are 100% out to turn believers into nonbelievers but that was not what I saw at all. I was there for 13 years or so. what I saw was weak Christians who couldn't stand up to easy challenges, timid people who just avoided confrontation, and overall an honest seeking after knowledge that woefully needed intelligent, grounded Christians to speak up in. there is nothing to fear. our faith is not an idiot faith, but a thinking man's belief. do your homework. bring their arguments to places like this. there are answers.
I've spent over 35 years in the academy as a student and teacher, and I've come across many Christians who are not afraid of sharing their beliefs and addressing challenges as needed, too.

Yes, higher education is highly secularized like many institutions in our society, but I was blessed to explore my faith in more depth at a secular university by combining my love for English literature with the Bible and great Christian writers such as Alfred Tennyson, T.S. Eliot, and Russel Kirk.

One key for me when topics came up related to faith and my Christian beliefs was to be respectful towards those who hold different beliefs like Islam and even agnostics and atheists. I never directly quoted the Bible, which puts up defenses immediately. Instead, I would paraphrase teachings from the Bible in common language and expressions. Most of the time, I saw heads nodding and very rarely did anyone challenge my observations when I took a strong, well-argued Christian position.

Some of my best professors at this secular university were Christians as well and weren't afraid to say so in class. They helped to strengthen my faith and become better educated in Biblically grounded, fact-based Christian doctrine. It's hard to argue with the truth, God's Word.