Beware! Guard against every kind of greed.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 9, 2010
Jesus says that the good life has nothing to do with being wealthy, so be on guard against greed (desire for what we don't have). This is the exact opposite of what society usually says. Advertisers spend millions of dollars to entice us to think that if we buy more and more of their products, we will be happier, more fulfilled, more comfortable. How do you respond to the constant pressure to buy? Learn to tune out expensive enticements and concentrate instead on the truly good life-living in a relationship with God and doing his work.

Then he said, “Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.” (Luke 12:15 NLT)​

A

AnandaHya

the world would be a different place if people still used this as a requirement for picking leaders in the government:

Exodus 18:21
Moreover you shall select from all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.

Greed is a form of covetness:

Exodus 20:17
“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

J

jimsun

In my work experience I encounter not so much the act of greed itself but the results of that greed & the lengths a person will go to achieve those results or trappings. Quite simply I find the more someone gets, the more they desire. This leads to theft, fraud, misappropriation, forgery. deception, false accounting, etc., etc., etc.
I don't fell anger at those I confront, mote sadness - even pity. Of greater sadness is that once greed has wetted their appetite to follow this route, no punishment, prisoonment, bankruptcy or fine will ever change their lust. It is rare, now, for me to encounter a first offender standing before a Court. The "first time scammer is usually a person who is aiding & abetting the main offender. Going into a custodial sentence is like going to a university of crime. You emerge from prison better qualified than when you went in.
But where is the incentive to cross the road to a better life when our politicians, embezzling Govt. Finance, "fiddling" their expenses of ridiculous amounts, have their money in "grey" accounts offshore, evading tax & holding numerous inappropriate company directorships escape scot-free?
Even when caught & prosecuted, the punishment is a fine or community service whilst, if it were you or I we'd be
looking at a minimum of 5-7 years?
To tackle greed & all it's parasitic tumours we first must have a system of true justice. Otherwise, like me & my colleagues, we are merely "painting the forth bridge"!
J.