Bible in schools to deter people from the truth?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 25, 2005
And now we have come full circle. It shows that the books presented by an insitution do not matter so much to the young mind as do the spirit in which the institution presents them.

V

violakat

In this case, it's not the same thing. I kind of get the impression that it's more then about copies of Bibles being in the school, and who delivers them, but possibly about a class on religion. And well, we know that if the atheist designed it, it would be pointing out the "flaws" of the Bible, while if a Christian designed it, it would be looking at the historical contents found in the Bible, and possibly design it in such away as to make kids want to explore it more. I would say religious content, but not sure what UK's ruling is about teaching religion in schools.

Mar 1, 2012
In this case, it's not the same thing. I kind of get the impression that it's more then about copies of Bibles being in the school, and who delivers them, but possibly about a class on religion. And well, we know that if the atheist designed it, it would be pointing out the "flaws" of the Bible, while if a Christian designed it, it would be looking at the historical contents found in the Bible, and possibly design it in such away as to make kids want to explore it more. I would say religious content, but not sure what UK's ruling is about teaching religion in schools.
some schools here don't think it is mandatory to teach GCSE RE (mine is one of them), but a lot of schools do teach GCSE RE. not sure if most RE teachers are followers of any religion. the RE teacher in my school (they only teach year 8/8th grade, year 9/9th grade and maybe year 10/10th grade (i'm in year 11/11th grade)) is a Catholic, probably the only religious RE teacher i have had. there are Bibles here, (many of them are the Good News Translation (GNT) and there is one New Century Version (NCV). the Gideons sometimes come in and hand out New International Version (NIV) New Testament and Psalms) but i don't know if they are ever used in lessons, i don't remember ever having the GNT placed on my desk in RE by the teacher (the NCV was bought around Christmas 2011) and being told to find a specific reference in it. there might of been one occasion, back in year 9/9th grade, but i don't know.

i was disgusted when the school took RE and music (my favourite subject apart from RE) off the schedule and said 'it's not mandatory'. i wanted a GCSE in RE. i now have to read a lot of books and talk to a lot of people about Islam and even Christianity to get more knowledge and better understandings.

a lot of times, RE isn't taken seriously, which really annoys me. i think i have only had one religious RE teacher, they teach me BTEC PE and they are also my form tutor (they're Catholic, mentioned above). RE teachers should either be religious themselves or have a very good understanding of each religion.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I think it is an example how young minds are being influenced by corruption, and will have too much "me" "me"
"want" "want" installed to receive the truth.

I do not speak of all, but society is promoting "free spirits" which really is a "disobedient spirit"

The Bible is our guide for being obedient to Almighty Yahvah God.

Children are told fairy tales at a young age deliberately to confuse there minds to what is real what is a story.

We read our children books of fairies then tell them they are not real it is make believe....

We set up a mentality of it is only a "book" why should we believe that......

We have to submit to our Yahvah God and not question his authority.

This evil world is conditioning minds from a young age, in the name of "education"

"education" better job , more money , better life........ is that not the mentality we are all sold?

music, video games and tv then continue this corrupting while they are not at school......

Anyone who does not go along with it is labeled "old fashioned" or too strict and not normal/weird.

Parents are persuaded also by tv and music that it is okay, "everyone is doing it"....

We have looked and trusted those in authority, if not forced into obeying the "system"

"democracy" is a term we have been taught means fair and good.....

You have people calling out for the "west" to help free them from the dictators....

Anyone else see a good guy, bad guy scenario?

What if the "good guys" were as evil as the bad guys?

T

TheGrungeDiva

some schools here don't think it is mandatory to teach GCSE RE
and later
they teach me BTEC PE and they are also my form tutor
Okay, I figured out that "RE" is "Religious Education." You may answer what all those other letters stand for further down (I haven't read this whole thread yet), but please be aware that not everyone in this forum is from the UK (I think that's where you are from, if not, where ever you are from), and those acronyms just don't mean anything to anyone outside of your country.

T

TheGrungeDiva

And what do you know, those acronyms were NOT explained further down .... So if you can explain what GCSE means as well as BTEC PE (around here PE is Physical Education -- like sports -- but I don't think that's what it is there ... that doesn't really make sense)

T

TheGrungeDiva

Here's the thing: The Bible is an important piece of literature that has shaped Western Civilization for thousands of years. Even if you don't believe that the stories therein are true, you are at a serious disadvantage, at least as far as cultural awareness in Europe and the Americas, if you don't know these stories.

The Bible used to be taught in schools. There was no reason not to, because pretty much everyone in the schools WERE Christian. No one would be offended. No one questioned it. Even in the US, where there was more diversity, the most controversy you'd get would be whether it was a Catholic Bible or a Protestant one.

As more diverse populations began to immigrate to the US, the US became more pluralistic, and Christianity was no longer the only, or even dominant, religion. Teachers could no longer just assume that everyone in the classroom was a Christian. In fact, more and more, a lot of the teachers were not necessarily Christian. For some reason, administrators thought that meant the Bible had to go.

I'm not sure why they did that.

We learn Greek Mythology in school, even though no one believes in the Greek gods. We read Harry Potter, even though no one believes in Quidditch. As long as the teacher does not try to tell students that they're going to hell if they don't believe it's true, there should be no problem teaching the Bible in school, as it has always been taught.

I suppose I can't speak for others, but when I read the greek myths in school, the teacher didn't have to go out of his way to tell me, "Now, Diva, these are just make believe stories. They're not real." I read them and figured it out all by myself. When I read history books about the Civil War, my teacher didn't have to say, "Okay, now this is real, these aren't just stories, this really did happen." I could tell from context what I was reading and what was intended.

In the same way, I think anyone should be able to read the Bible and figure it out for him- or herself. Teachers don't have to say "this is true" or "this is false." Just read the stories, and let the texts speak to the students as they will.

Either way, these texts need to be taught in school. I don't care if they're taught as fiction or non-fiction, as long as kids learn them. It's sad that two or three generations have grown up now not knowing certain references, like what "30 pieces of silver" means, or what "the shadow of the valley of death" refers to. These are things that are part of our culture, whether you believe in God or not. SHAME on the institution of education for dropping the ball!

S

SantoSubito

Here's the thing: The Bible is an important piece of literature that has shaped Western Civilization for thousands of years. Even if you don't believe that the stories therein are true, you are at a serious disadvantage, at least as far as cultural awareness in Europe and the Americas, if you don't know these stories.

The Bible used to be taught in schools. There was no reason not to, because pretty much everyone in the schools WERE Christian. No one would be offended. No one questioned it. Even in the US, where there was more diversity, the most controversy you'd get would be whether it was a Catholic Bible or a Protestant one.

As more diverse populations began to immigrate to the US, the US became more pluralistic, and Christianity was no longer the only, or even dominant, religion. Teachers could no longer just assume that everyone in the classroom was a Christian. In fact, more and more, a lot of the teachers were not necessarily Christian. For some reason, administrators thought that meant the Bible had to go.

I'm not sure why they did that.

We learn Greek Mythology in school, even though no one believes in the Greek gods. We read Harry Potter, even though no one believes in Quidditch. As long as the teacher does not try to tell students that they're going to hell if they don't believe it's true, there should be no problem teaching the Bible in school, as it has always been taught.

I suppose I can't speak for others, but when I read the greek myths in school, the teacher didn't have to go out of his way to tell me, "Now, Diva, these are just make believe stories. They're not real." I read them and figured it out all by myself. When I read history books about the Civil War, my teacher didn't have to say, "Okay, now this is real, these aren't just stories, this really did happen." I could tell from context what I was reading and what was intended.

In the same way, I think anyone should be able to read the Bible and figure it out for him- or herself. Teachers don't have to say "this is true" or "this is false." Just read the stories, and let the texts speak to the students as they will.

Either way, these texts need to be taught in school. I don't care if they're taught as fiction or non-fiction, as long as kids learn them. It's sad that two or three generations have grown up now not knowing certain references, like what "30 pieces of silver" means, or what "the shadow of the valley of death" refers to. These are things that are part of our culture, whether you believe in God or not. SHAME on the institution of education for dropping the ball!
Very true. When I was in HS we read the Odyssey in English I and the Iliad and Aeneid in English II, but we never touched the Bible except for one time in English IV when we had Psalm 23 in the poetry section. The whole deal is ridiculous since the Bible has impacted Western civilization and the development of the English language way more than either the Iliad or the Odyssey.

T

TheGrungeDiva

Very true. When I was in HS we read the Odyssey in English I and the Iliad and Aeneid in English II, but we never touched the Bible except for one time in English IV when we had Psalm 23 in the poetry section. The whole deal is ridiculous since the Bible has impacted Western civilization and the development of the English language way more than either the Iliad or the Odyssey.
Do you know how many common phrases we have that come from the Bible?

Here's one: "the writing on the wall." How many of you know what that's from? I was embarrassed that an atheist knew the reference before I did.

S

SantoSubito

Do you know how many common phrases we have that come from the Bible?

Here's one: "the writing on the wall." How many of you know what that's from? I was embarrassed that an atheist knew the reference before I did.
It's from the book of Daniel right? Anyway if we wanted to push the Bible as literature in classes It would have to be the King James since it codified English spelling and gave us all the common phrases your thinking of like "bite the dust".

V

violakat

It's from the book of Daniel right? Anyway if we wanted to push the Bible as literature in classes It would have to be the King James since it codified English spelling and gave us all the common phrases your thinking of like "bite the dust".
Yes, it's from Daniel, and it's a story I remember hearing as a child.