Bible Questions from the Book of John

• Thread starter Stargazing_Pilgrim
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Stargazing_Pilgrim

I "thought" I knew alot about the Bible, but I don't. The Bible is the best book in the world, better than television, or movies, or sports, or anything else. I wish I was younger and could have spent more time with it. I want to know all I can about GOD and JESUS. Any help with any of these questions will be appreciated.
1.John 1:4 Explain "that light was the light of men." "light of men"?
2.John 2:4,5 Why did JESUS first say not now and then right away did it? Did Mary know something why then was the time?
3.John 3:8 Meteoroligists can track the wind now.
4.John 5:28-29 The dead before Christ. Salvation by "done good" or bad? I thought faith was still involved.
5.John11:11 A time of "sleep" after death before paradise/resurrection/heaven?
6.John 11;33 Why was JESUS "troubled"? Bothered, Concern?
7.John 14:14 "in my name"--o.k. but 15:7 "whatever YOU wish/will"?
8.John 15:16 only disciples predestined? Everyone else/ we have free will to choose. Of course Judas made a choice.
9. John 16:26 "Wishy-washy"? "MAY NOT" ask the Father on our behalf?
10.John 20:13,15 "Woman" same word as "Mother" Where was Jesus' mother RIGHT after the resurrection? Wouldn't you think she would have been (one of the) First notified?
11.John 20:17 "Touch me not" A warning? Had they touched previously before the crucifixion? Matthew 28:9 They touched HIS feet.
12. John 20:23 Sounds like we do the forgiving, but I think HE was saying that if sins are forgiven(and not by us) then they are completely forgiven. Any other interpretation?
Thanks again.

Oct 31, 2011
I’ll try to answer some of these questions.

1. If you read Gen 1:1-3 and Gen 1:14-18 you find that God created light on the first day and the sun and moon on the fourth. The Hebrew word for the first light was “owr” meaning illumination, enlightenment. The Hebrew word for the light created on the fourth day is “maorot” meaning something that emits light. The light of men was the illumination he created that allows our human mind, with its knowledge of evil, to be enlightened with the knowledge of God.
2. Christ’s ministry was to begin later, but he obeyed His mother. Yes, she knew something.
3. Yes, we are living in a world where scientist can understand lots of how God works, some even say we don’t need God any more they are so smart!!! Understanding scripture, for us, means we need to understand the times and people God was speaking to when He gave knowledge to the writer. We even have a word for it, it is called hermeneutics. The point here is not what we know, but an explanation of spirit.
4. This gets into the whole controversy of grace and law. God is a Holy God, we are not holy. Our holy God created us to live with Him forever; we can’t do that unless we are Holy. We aren’t. Through His grace, God accepts us, but only through grace. However, if we insist on identifying ourselves with a certain sin, so we are liars, or thieves, etc., then we cannot receive grace. It is faith that leads us through this whole process. We are only saved through grace, not works. Without works of striving to be like God wants us to be we cannot have grace. They work together, not in opposition to each other.

Oct 31, 2011
Some more answers to question by Stargazing:
5. John 11:11 If you read further in John 11 you find that the disciples didn’t understand what Christ was saying when He said Lazarus was asleep, so Christ plainly said “I mean that Lazarus is dead”. Commentators have different opinions about the meaning of asleep. Certainly, in death we do not have the cares we have when awake, and in death those cares go away also. Commentators have different opinions about the meaning of asleep.

6. John 11:33 .Christ, when he lived with us, was both God and Man. To me the shortest bible verse in the bible: “Jesus wept” tells me that God wants my life in this world to be a good life. God truly cares about my life. I love this verse. Often the bible explains God giving even Him human emotions. Christ was God and Man.

7. John 14:14 When we ask for something that is not in line with God’s Kingdom, something that does not work for good, God may say no. Even in the Lord’s Prayer it says “thy kingdom come”. If it is in Christ’s name it must also be within His Kingdom.

8. John 15:16 I hope someone else will address this one. There are many things that apply. We have time, God does not. We can choose to live with God or not, but God, being without time, knows the result for us. It is my personal opinion that no one understands predestination. Lots have been written about it.

9. John 16:26 Christ lived with us as God/Man. However, Christ said I and the Father are One. God loves us, if you believe in Christ you believe in the Father. How can Christ ask of the Father when He goes to be with Him, after His assent ion, when Christ and the Father are One.

10.. John 20:13 It was Mary Magdalene as it says in the first verse, of John 20, not Mary mother of Jesus.

11. John 20:17 This time when Christ said touch me not was after the resurrection, before his assent ion. A different time.

12. The whole subject of forgiveness needs to have its own thread.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I "thought" I knew alot about the Bible, but I don't. The Bible is the best book in the world, better than television, or movies, or sports, or anything else. I wish I was younger and could have spent more time with it. I want to know all I can about GOD and JESUS. Any help with any of these questions will be appreciated.
1.John 1:4 Explain "that light was the light of men." "light of men"?.
Men are in the dark before Jesus comes to them. They love the dark rather than the light, because of their deeds. The Lord Jesus gives spiritual life to men and this is that Light. Spiritual Life.

That's really the only one I had the answer to. The other ones it looks like you will most likely have to find the answers for yourself.

Oct 31, 2011
Grandpa said: " Men are in the dark before Jesus comes to them. '

Then from the time of creation until the birth of Jesus in Bethleham, all God's creation were in the dark? ???

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Grandpa said: " Men are in the dark before Jesus comes to them. '

Then from the time of creation until the birth of Jesus in Bethleham, all God's creation were in the dark? ???

Nope.

Gen. 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

John 1:1-5
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2The same was in the beginning with God.
3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

J

JJAC

although it seems that your question have been answered I think it's great that your finding the time to still read the bible and receive understanding and truth from it

A

Abiding

1. light=understanding dark=ignorance
2. until they ran out and had no other means and knew it ....His time was not yet. It goes deeper than that but thats the truth.
3. thats plain silly. And they cannot know anything for sure...all wind doesnt come from jet streams either...some from trees..etc.
understanding the intent of scripture is what we must set out to do.
4. the text doesnt discount faith....every text taken by itself and added to the whole council of God. No individual text can cover all the bases.
5. i dont understand the question. The text only tells us Lazarus was asleep/dead.
6. because like all humans, as Jesus was, He was grieved over Lazarus's sisters grief. The three were His closest friends. He knew they didnt understand..He
did continue to teach them as the day proceeded.
7. means the same thing in both...the qualifier is in the terms.."in my name" and "abide in me, and my words abide in you"
8. ye we all have to choose. And although this is talking to the disciples....it has application to everyone. As far as choosing us and bearing fruit.
9' your question isnt clear....Jesus was preparing them for when He wasnt there...they didnt even know how to pray yet much at all.
10. you can make your own speculation there. His mother was there earlier recorded in another gospel.
11. this text gives no time stamp....Jesus ascended sometime between seeing Mary and seeing His disciples..His words also were not meant to just
not touch Him but to handle him as in hugging and holding, or attach oneself.
12. Theres alot more here than meets the eye...These men were trained and called to preach the gospel and tell people who God does and doesnt forgive
according to the Gospel. He breathed on them to empower them to do this. More could be said but theres a small answer. We know only God forgives sins
we forgive people who sin against us. But sins eternal judgement only God can forgive.

Last edited:
F

feedm3

Just a sidenote on the wind statement:

The word "wind in Jn 3:5 is the Greek word Pneuma, which is the same word for "spirit".

This word is found twice in Jn 3:5, "wind" and "born of the Spirit" are both PNeuma

And the word "blows" is the same word for "breathes"

So this passage could be speaking of the Holy Spirit:

(KJV) The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

(LITV) The Spirit breathes where He desires, and you hear His voice; but you do not know from where He comes, and where He goes; so is everyone having been generated from the Spirit.

(GNT-BYZ+) τοG3588 T-NSN πνευμα((Spirit/Wind))G4151 N-NSN οπουG3699 ADV θελειG2309 V-PAI-3S πνει((Blows/Breathes))G4154 V-PAI-3S καιG2532 CONJ τηνG3588 T-ASF φωνηνG5456 N-ASF αυτουG846 P-GSN ακουειςG191 V-PAI-2S αλλG235 CONJ ουκG3756 PRT-N οιδαςG1492 V-RAI-2S ποθενG4159 ADV-I ερχεταιG2064 V-PNI-3S καιG2532 CONJ πουG4226 ADV-I υπαγειG5217 V-PAI-3S ουτωςG3779 ADV εστινG1510 V-PAI-3S παςG3956 A-NSM οG3588 T-NSM γεγεννημενοςG1080 V-RPP-NSM εκG1537 PREP τουG3588 T-GSN πνευματος((Spirt/Wind))G4151 N-GSN

Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CanadaNZ

1.John 1:4 Explain "that light was the light of men." "light of men"? Like a lighthouse shines a light to lead boats to safety, so Jesus leads us to the Father. This is pointing out that we live in a world that is in spiritual darkness and Jesus came to bring light to our world.
2.John 2:4,5 Why did JESUS first say not now and then right away did it? Did Mary know something why then was the time? The time for Jesus' public ministry had not yet come (which didn't officially start until his baptism, which as far as we can tell happened after this event. Mary did insist on his help. We are allowed to insist, doesn't mean we will always get what we want, but we know that the bible teaches that prayer is effective.
3.John 3:8 Meteoroligists can track the wind now. Even in our scientific age meteorologist are unable to predict with complete certainty what the wind will do. Take hurricanes, they track them and are decent at predicting the trajectory, but often the wind still blows where it wills and we don't really fully understand it.
4.John 5:28-29 The dead before Christ. Salvation by "done good" or bad? I thought faith was still involved. Before Jesus, there was the law and those in the grave would have been under the law, not the grace given through Christ. We see this come to some literal fruition in Matthew 27:51-53.
5.John11:11 A time of "sleep" after death before paradise/resurrection/heaven? We know that Jesus said to them that Lazarus sleeps, what he meant by this is somewhat unknown. What we do know is that Jesus himself said "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise." This tells us that there is a air of instantaneous of arriving in heaven. There is some ideas of how this is the case, but won't go into that here.
6.John 11;33 Why was JESUS "troubled"? Bothered, Concern? Jesus was fully man and so felt empathetic toward what they were feeling. In the same way when you see someone you love suffering over the loss of a loved one, we would often feel sorrow as well.
7.John 14:14 "in my name"--o.k. but 15:7 "whatever YOU wish/will"? If we abide in Christ we will start to understand his will and our desires will start moving in line with what God wants. Its like any really close relationship, our desires start to blend.
8.John 15:16 only disciples predestined? Everyone else/ we have free will to choose. Of course Judas made a choice. Predestined is such a misunderstood concept. Jesus chose us first when he came and died for our sins. We then must choose to accept his gift or not. God is able to predestine because he is all-knowing and knew before time who would choose to accept him.
9. John 16:26 "Wishy-washy"? "MAY NOT" ask the Father on our behalf? Not sure if the passage is right here. But in John 16:26 he is talking about a time when Jesus would no longer be with the disciples in physical form, and that at that time they would talk directly to the Father and the Father would listen.
10.John 20:13,15 "Woman" same word as "Mother" Where was Jesus' mother RIGHT after the resurrection? Wouldn't you think she would have been (one of the) First notified? The Mary here is not his mother, but Mary Madelene. No I wouldn't think that his mother would have been one of the first, considering what he says in Matthew when his earthly family asks to see him, "48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” 49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”"
11.John 20:17 "Touch me not" A warning? Had they touched previously before the crucifixion? Matthew 28:9 They touched HIS feet. "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father;" This is how the NKJV puts it and I think it clarifies better. He is saying don't hold onto me because I need to go see my Father.
12. John 20:23 Sounds like we do the forgiving, but I think HE was saying that if sins are forgiven(and not by us) then they are completely forgiven. Any other interpretation?
Thanks again. We are to call people to repentance and baptism, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins;"(Acts 2:38) and "Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out"(Acts 3:19)
Hope that helps.

B

babyboyblue

2.John 2:4,5 Why did JESUS first say not now and then right away did it? Did Mary know something why then was the time?
4.John 5:28-29 The dead before Christ. Salvation by "done good" or bad? I thought faith was still involved.
8.John 15:16 only disciples predestined? Everyone else/ we have free will to choose. Of course Judas made a choice.
10.John 20:13,15 "Woman" same word as "Mother" Where was Jesus' mother RIGHT after the resurrection? Wouldn't you think she would have been (one of the) First notified?
11.John 20:17 "Touch me not" A warning? Had they touched previously before the crucifixion? Matthew 28:9 They touched HIS feet.
Thanks again.
Sorry to say but, you came to the wrong place for answers. There's so much confusion and different theories in here it's mind boggling. I would suggest you fast and pray diligently for Gods Holy Spirit. We're told He will guide us into all truth. I too believe I have answers to your questions but they will contradict what was already said. For example, you asked a question about faith, the bible says the just shall live by faith and Abraham and Noah we both called just men, so they had to live by faith. So all from Adam to you and I must also live by faith. But you were already given a different answer.

God is more willing to supply you with his Holy Spirit than you think. He will answer your questions.

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks again.
Interesting that you questioned John 11:11. If we read in Ecclesiastes 9:5, we find the passage "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten."

It is because of these scriptures (and many others) that I, alongside many other Christians, believe that most people don't go to another place after we die. Once you're dead, you're dead until the resurrection and judgement. I don't believe in the "traditional" hell either as an eternal place of torture. Throughout the Bible, Hell is described as Gehenna. Gehenna was not a place of torture. It was was a place to destroy all kinds of filth (including people) forever. That is why I believe (and many others do too) that when we die, we stay dead until we are resurrected and judged, Then we either live forever or are destroyed.

Thats how I interpret it.

Last edited:
T

Trax

Thanks again.
I recently found a website with a lot of information: preceptaustin.org
There a LOT of information by different people on that website.