Bible reading

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

brndvis

I want to , guess you can say,"get into the habit " of reading my Bible everyday, but I don't like to read if I don't have to. I find myself falling asleep when I sit down to read anything. I really want to get fed on the word of God. Any suggestions?

Josh321

Sep 3, 2013
well what i usually do is listen to some gospel songs and get into the mood before i read the bible sometimes, that helps well for me but i guess u can try it

B

brndvis

well what i usually do is listen to some gospel songs and get into the mood before i read the bible sometimes, that helps well for me but i guess u can try it
I'll try this. Thanks!

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
It is not about quantity but quality. So, here's what I suggest: Read a chapter only. Read it three or four times through. Read it aloud a couple of times. Really, really focus on the content and what is being said. Eventually, you will have a hunger for God's Word and you will devour it. Never hold yourself to a set time or page count. Sometimes Holy Spirit will motivate you to focus on a single verse or a collection of verses...sometimes He will pour and pour and pour and you won't get enough. :) It will happen, but start small and focus and gain the quality of the study, rather than a tickmark (check) next to your to-do list. :)

Another thing is to come on here after reading and open up a discussion on the verse you read, whether in the chatroom itself or by creating a new thread. :) Discussion helps us desire to go deeper and learn more.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
I was in the same boat as you, but to be honest... When you stop thinking about the Bible as a chore, and think about it as a one on one conversation with the Being that created you... You actually like to read it at times...

I also read every time I take a bath which is every day :D

R

reject-tech

Any suggestions?
Read along with an audio of the same translation you are reading. You can find lots of audio for each book on youtube.
Some have current chapter displayed on screen which makes stopping and coming back easier than noting the timer.
Smooth as butter.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Walk around (or straight) as you read and/or read out loud.

Feb 17, 2010
I had the same problem you had, and then something happend.... The Bible was revealed by God to me. Every sentance I read from then of was ABOUT MYSELF... Unlike ANY other book I have read, this one did not create images of OTHER PEOPLE, but IMAGES OF MYSELF!

Let me share ONE of these REVELATIONS to you and maybe you can find yourself also in the WORD OF GOD... the Bible!

I healed people when I prayed to Jesus. My peronal favourate was the wife of our church caretaker. She had kidney stones and she was scheduled for an op at the clinic on the Friday. We had a church council meeting on the Thursday evening from 7 PM to 11 PM. Oom Bronkie (Uncle Bronkie) was to lock up after the meeting but his wife was just across the street in much pain from the kidney stones.... So after the meeting just as I was about to leave, oom Bronkie asked me... Cobus would you pray for my wife, and the kidney stones.... I said, right now Oom Bronkie... so we walked into a queit room and prayed... He locked up and went home.

Sunday morning in church Oom Bronkie walked to the front with a little pill bottle in his hand... He said... On Thursday evening after the meeting a friend and I prayed for my wife. When I got home, my wife had ALL the kidney stones in a pill bottle... they just FELL from her body, when we prayed... this is them in this bottle...

So I really felt good.... Man God is using me to heal the sick, and remove kidney stones WITHOUT PASSING WATER.... WOW! Miricles happen when I pray in the name of Jesus.... Then! a few months later, and a lot of mricles later, I prayed for a two yearol boy with a deformed hip.... I left and the boy still had a deformed hip.... I WAS FURIOUS with God... why did He NOT heal the boy? What you should know, I was still sinning at that stage... still working the iniquity. And I believed Jesus died for my sins, so it is OK! That is why I do not understand why God did not heal this boy tonight, we could have SAVED a lot of souls if HE DID!.... But I was going to rush home after I dropped off all the people that was with me in the mini-bus...

I got home and asked God.... ARE YOU REAL? Then the biggest urge came over me to open the Word of God and read... I did this came up.... 1 John 3:9... Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. .....

I said... NO GOD THIS BIBLE IS LIEING TO ME.... NOBODY IS PERFECT AND WE ALL SIN....
God answered when I opened my Bible at this verse.... Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Like me healing the people??????
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. OH! This was me... DEFINATELY ME!
Then I asked... WAHT SHOULD I DO.... and HE said.... GENESIS 1:1 START!!!!!
Then I could see myself righte through the Bible, from ADAM, to JESUS!
That is what the WORD OF GOD DOES.... That Bible takes a sinning ADAM, and WORKS ON THE HEART, untoll that SINNING ADAM, is A FULL MATURE JESUS!!!!

That is how powerful the Bible is... Now go and let the TRUTH MAKE YOU FREE... John 17:17... God's Word is the TRUTH

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
I hate to read books but the bible is not a normal book, it is a message from God and I love to read the bible.

O

overcomer2

I want to , guess you can say,"get into the habit " of reading my Bible everyday, but I don't like to read if I don't have to. I find myself falling asleep when I sit down to read anything. I really want to get fed on the word of God. Any suggestions?
I listen to the word daily, I usually read it when I'm studying. I was just looking on Amazon a couple days ago for a new Bible on CD my tapes are about worn out. I don't suggest dramatization unless you want it story like.

B

brndvis

Wow..thanks for sharing with me!! :)