Is there a place here for in-depth bible studies or is it all general discussion and short answers?
Is there a place here for in-depth bible studies or is it all general discussion and short answers?
Is there a place here for in-depth bible studies or is it all general discussion and short answers?
I see this, it is best to read the entire Bible, with the motive to know whether or not God loves us all or not!
Not to pick and choose verses out as man does that and uses verses from in e place to the other to get across their view and have others follow the to a pit of her, making money off of you too.
Just being real, read the Bible to know God does just love us all, even though we all fail
Believe, God, receive from God and learn new in God for you too
Welcome aboard, and see God loves us all. God himself will reveal the truth to you too personally as does to each sincere child of his. /This I know after many years of personal study, reading and rereading to understand this amazing love and mercy for us all through the done work of Son first
Hid one time willing death to reconcile us all to himself as reconciled, forgiven by his love and mercy in the last shed blood os Son for us all to either believe it or not yet. So choose and then move forward and learn as you go in mistakes made to learn new from and not get angry anymore over it. Simply ask God for the truth in all things and you will know and be free as in Col 2 tells us we are
---------------------------------Is there a place here for in-depth bible studies or is it all general discussion and short answers?
I would appreciate an in-depth study of John's use of NT Greek grammar as used in John 1:1c.Is there a place here for in-depth bible studies or is it all general discussion and short answers?
Thankyou for all for responding. I am looking for a place to chat and discuss things in God's word. I like to use the 1611 KJV bible and the Strongs Concordance as my 2 main study tools. A bit of history of myself I am married 50 years, I got saved while in the Navy in 1976, I learned my bible study habits form some Christians on the ship with me. They started me out with an understanding of Isaiah 28 which teaches us that we need to study line by line so that we can have a good understand of who is speaking, who they are speaking to, and what is the subject. then we studied the parables, and on into more of the meat. I looked forward to getting together every night, there was always something new to learn. Here I am 50 years later still studying still learning.
I saw a post yesterday after I first singed up but did not have the chance to respond and cannot find it. They were talking about the first 3 verses of Genisus and how the world was created in confusion and chaos.
I do not believe that to be the case, God is not the author of confusion, His word goes forth and it accomplishes that which He wants it to do. 2nd Petter 3 talks about the 3 different ages; the one that was, the one that is and the one to come.
God comes to Job in the whirlwind in chapter 38 and asks Job some very pointed questions about where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth, God goes on to ask him more questions and to give him insight as to what took place in that time period when all the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy. This would have included Satan before his fall from grace as the covering cherub before he tried to take over the mercy seat. In chapters 40 and 41 He describes behemoth; I thank this was the time of the dinosaurs; before the rebellion in heaven when Satan got tired of guarding the mercy seat and wanted to sit in it and take Gods place. You can read about it in Ezekiel 28 and on throughout the rest of the book.
I wish I could find that comment again. Please give me your thoughts
--------------------------------------Thankyou for all for responding. I am looking for a place to chat and discuss things in God's word. I like to use the 1611 KJV bible and the Strongs Concordance as my 2 main study tools. A bit of history of myself I am married 50 years, I got saved while in the Navy in 1976, I learned my bible study habits form some Christians on the ship with me. They started me out with an understanding of Isaiah 28 which teaches us that we need to study line by line so that we can have a good understand of who is speaking, who they are speaking to, and what is the subject. then we studied the parables, and on into more of the meat. I looked forward to getting together every night, there was always something new to learn. Here I am 50 years later still studying still learning.
I saw a post yesterday after I first singed up but did not have the chance to respond and cannot find it. They were talking about the first 3 verses of Genisus and how the world was created in confusion and chaos.
I do not believe that to be the case, God is not the author of confusion, His word goes forth and it accomplishes that which He wants it to do. 2nd Petter 3 talks about the 3 different ages; the one that was, the one that is and the one to come.
God comes to Job in the whirlwind in chapter 38 and asks Job some very pointed questions about where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth, God goes on to ask him more questions and to give him insight as to what took place in that time period when all the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy. This would have included Satan before his fall from grace as the covering cherub before he tried to take over the mercy seat. In chapters 40 and 41 He describes behemoth; I thank this was the time of the dinosaurs; before the rebellion in heaven when Satan got tired of guarding the mercy seat and wanted to sit in it and take Gods place. You can read about it in Ezekiel 28 and on throughout the rest of the book.
I wish I could find that comment again. Please give me your thoughts
Try shepherds chapel on youtube.Is there a place here for in-depth bible studies or is it all general discussion and short answers?
John 1:1I would appreciate an in-depth study of John's use of NT Greek grammar as used in John 1:1c.
In a beginning (Ἐν ἀρχῇ) was (ἦν) the Word ( ὁ λόγος), and the Word (καὶ ὁ λόγος) was (ἦν) with the God (πρὸς τὸν θεόν), and a god/divine/God (καὶ θεὸς) was ( ἦν) the Word (ὁ λόγος).I would appreciate an in-depth study of John's use of NT Greek grammar as used in John 1:1c.
PT wrote above:
One could infer from John’s structure here that the Word was "a god!" and not "the God". But such a reading would not account for the position of the anarthrous predicate theos before its arthrous subject (ho logos, the Word". If John had intended that, he could have used -
... and the Word (καὶ ὁ λόγος) was ( ἦν) a god/divine ( θεὸς). But he didn’t. Si he most likely meant to convey that the Word had thedivine attributes characteristic of the Divinity he was face to face with in the beginning.
...........................................................................
For Grammatical Rules "Proving" the Trinity
John 1:1c - English translation: "The Word was God [or 'a god']."
- NT Greek: θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος
---------------"god was the word."
The NT Greek word for "God" and "god" is theos (θεὸς). In the writings of the Gospel writers (including John) when an unmodified theos (the form used for subjects and predicate nouns) is accompanied by the article, "the" (ὁ [pronounced ho] in Greek), and has no added phrases (e.g., "the god of this world"), then it always refers to the only true God. - See DEF study.
But Jn 1:1c has an unmodified "theos" without the article. Therefore, even some trinitarian scholars are forced to admit that this passage may be literally translated as "the Word was a god"!
This includes W. E. Vine (An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words);
Dr. C. H. Dodd (director of the New English Bible project);
Murray J. Harris (Jesus as God);
Dr. Robert Young (Young's Concise Critical Bible Commentary); Rev. J. W. Wenham, The Elements of New Testament Greek.
Of course, being trinitarians, they often insist that the correct interpretation of such a literal translation must be, somehow, trinitarian.
The usual trinitarian interpretation for John 1:1c ("the Word was God") is based on the fact that an unmodified theos is used as a predicate noun (predicate nominative) without a definite article (anarthrous) and comes before the verb in the New Testament (NT) Greek text. When you find an anarthrous predicate noun in that position, some trinitarians will say, it is to be interpreted differently ("qualitative" or "definite": i.e., as though it actually had the definite article with it) from a predicate noun which normally comes after the verb.
Although such a "reversed" word order is extremely rare in English, it is common in NT Greek because word order within a sentence has little significance in NT Greek!
In fact, one of the first things a beginning student of NT Greek learns is that word order has very little, if any, significance as far as the meaning is concerned. For example, respected NT Greek authorities, Dr. Alfred Marshall and Prof. J. Gresham Machen tell us in their NT Greek primers that, unlike English, NT Greek does not use word order to convey meanings but instead uses the individual endings on each word (inflections).
"The English translation must be determined by observing the [Greek word] endings, not by observing the [word] order." - p. 27, New Testament Greek For Beginners, Machen, The Macmillan Co. (Cf., pp. 7, 22, New Testament Greek Primer, Marshall, Zondervan)
And in a later example illustrating predicate nouns Prof. Machen gave this example: “ho apostolos anthropos estin [word-for-word translation: ‘the apostle man is’],” and he translated that sentence (which has an anarthrous predicate noun preceding the verb as in John 1:1c) as “the apostle is a man.” - p. 50, New Testament Greek For Beginners, The Macmillan Company, 1951.
And In Exercise 8 (p.44) of the Rev. Dr. Alfred Marshall’s New Testament Greek Primer, the noted trinitarian scholar asks us to translate phoneus esti into English. (Notice that the predicate noun [phoneus, ‘murderer’] precedes the verb [esti, ‘he is’].) The answer is given on p. 153 where Dr. Marshall translates it as “He is a murderer.” – Zondervan Publishing House, 1962.
And Prof. N. Clayton Croy on p. 35 of his A Primer of Biblical Greek translates prophetes estin ho anthropos (literally, “prophet is the man”) as “The man is a prophet.” - Eerdmans Publ. Co., 1999. (Emphasis, as usual, is mine.)
In Learn New Testament Greek by John H. Dobson we find on p. 64 two interesting Greek clauses and their translations by Dobson: the clauses are: (1) prophetes estin and (2) prophetes en. In both of these the predicate noun (prophetes) comes before the verb (‘he is’ and ‘he was’).
Here is how Dobson has translated these two clauses: “He is a prophet.” And “He was a prophet.” – Baker Book House, 1989.
Also see p. 148, A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament, where trinitarians Dana and Mantey translate an example they admit is parallel to John 1:1c as “And the place was a market,” The Macmillan Company.
And noted trinitarian NT scholar, A.T. Robertson, when analyzing John 18:37b where the predicate noun “king” comes before the verb [“you say that king am I”], prefers this translation: “Yes, because I am a king.” - p. 294, Vol. 5, Word Pictures in the New Testament.
However, if truth means anything to us, instead of rejecting the trinitarian-devised John 1:1 rules strictly on the basis of the wishful interpretations of these NT Greek authorities, it would be much fairer and more certain to examine all the usages of a predicate noun found before its verb in John's writings that are as close to the example of John 1:1 as we can find.
(to be continued)