Bible Study Advice Please

• Thread starter NewChristianBlossom11
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

NewChristianBlossom11

Hi There.

I am a new Christain, and was wondering if anyone has any good tips and advice on how to read and study the bible?

I am also looking for Bible Study Programmes online so if anyone has any links to any good sites could you please post them. That would be great!!

Thanks!!

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
I think the New Testament would be a good place to start especially the four gospels and then the letters. Thats where you will find most information on salvation, faith, growth and your life as a christian. God bless

B

barukhmalachi

Perrystone.org has resourses you can buy on how to study bible and much more. Check that out perrystone.org. read proverbs for wisdom and psalms for wisdomand praise. Read a chapter, if it makes no sense to you keep rereading it till it makes sense before you move on. The more you read it the more chance god has of bringing you understanding. If you move into parables, study how they did things in jesus time. You will notice for instance jesus talks about a mill stone. If you don't know what a mill stone is how will you understand. And remember god is the same today as he was back then. We can do all things in christ. If our faith was as strong as the deciples, you to could raise the dead and heal the sick. God gave us authority through jesus' blood. Jesus is our example for how to live and the things we can do through him in faith. Perry stone helped me a lot in growing spiritually along with others like jesse duplantis and joyce meyer and john haggee etc.

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
You could try the online bible plan, which will email you chapters daily, depending on how you want to pace yourself.

You should read the Old Testament, but I think the New Testament is a good one to start with.

Link --> BiblePlan -- Helping You Read The Bible

You can accompany your study with an online sermon. Many bible churches upload their sermons.

Oct 31, 2011
The New Testament is so much easier for us to understand than the Old Testament because the original language of the OT was Hebrew. They thought differently than we do. However, the writers of the NT knew the OT very well and when God breathed these words to men; it was to men who understood it very well. When we understand OT, it is like understanding the foundation of our faith. Like going to grammar school as preparation to High School.

Hebrew thinking was very concrete, they thought of the physical basis of spiritual truth. To them, love had to do with family that God chose for them. When God blessed it meant giving us gifts. Atonement meant a covering. They studied scripture to learn the patterns of how God worked, what his God principles were. We think in an aesthetic way. We think of the spiritual without relating it to the physical. That makes it hard for us to understand the OT. I found one man who gives OT lessons without adding his personal agenda, as so many teachers do. It is a website called Torah Class.

The entire goal of scripture is for us to learn to live eternally with our God. Christ fulfilled this goal of the OT; he was the blood sacrifice we use for repentance so we may be holy enough to live with our God. The background of this is in the OT, but the gospel of John puts it together better than any other book.

May 18, 2011
Hi There.

I am a new Christain, and was wondering if anyone has any good tips and advice on how to read and study the bible?

I am also looking for Bible Study Programmes online so if anyone has any links to any good sites could you please post them. That would be great!!

Thanks!!
As you see, you have different answers, but when you read a book, you never start 2/3rds of the way through right? Or you miss the whole foundation of the whole story.

You start at the beginning, Genesis 1:1 and read through the whole Bible and let the Holy Spirit guide, reveal and teach you God's Word.

Psalm 119:130 The entrance of Your word gives light, it gives understanding unto the simple.

Unfortunately if someone who is a baby in Messiah turns to other people to learn the Bible, then you get more opinion and confusion than anything else. Scripture says we are to study to show ourselves approved.

Paul wrote in Galatians 1:11-12 11) But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is NOT ACCORDING to man. 12) For I NEITHER RECEIVED IT FROM MAN, NOR was I TAUGHT IT, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Jesus is from Genesis to Revelation, He is the revealer and teacher of all God's Word. Shalom

B

babyboyblue

The best way I've found to study the Bible is by Topics. Pick a topic such as the Love of God and then start with Genesis and allow the Bible to reveal the wondrous works and love of God.

I too recommend

C

crissy17

The best place to start is with the gospels, that is the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. These books document the life of Jesus and help us to believe. This will give you a good idea bout Jesus, the Church and Christian living.
Here's the link:How To Read The Bible For Better Understanding

C

CBM82

You might want to check a free online program called e-sword. I think that will help you in your studies.

S

shekaniah

The best place to start is with the gospels, that is the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. These books document the life of Jesus and help us to believe. This will give you a good idea bout Jesus, the Church and Christian living.
Here's the link:How To Read The Bible For Better Understanding
I love the book of John...
But before you read, ask God for wisdom, knowledge, depth, insight and understanding.
The word is spiritually discerned.

1 Cor 2:14
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Dec 19, 2009
Hi There.

Thanks!!
I would pick it up and read it cover to cover. It doesn't take that long.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
Hi There.

Thanks!!
I have read through the bible many times in order, and chronologically using bibles constructed for this purpose, as well as reading commentaries on individual books. All of these are good ways to learn God's will and purpose for our lives, as well as wisdom.

But I have found that in order to get a good sense of context in those books whose purpose is to teach and instruct us in how we should live, that a good systematic theology text is very helpful.

A systematic theology is like a topical outline which takes all scriptural passages on various topics and arranges them in a systematic way. In this way, we can examine all verses on the divinity of Christ, for example, and see how they complement each other through different perspectives and applications.

Two of the best systematic theology books available are by Wayne Grudem and Millard Erickson. Please remember as you read these books that each author, though attempting to be objective, has their own bias. Please read the biblical verses and make up your own mind as to the meanings as Holy Spirit gives you ability.

Good luck and God bless

N

nath1234

ill try give you some overall perspective so you can understand better how to study it

all the bible points towards Jesus

Hebrews 10:7

New King James Version (NKJV)

7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
To do Your will, O God.’”[a]

all the old testament sacrifices are pictures or patterns pointing towards the day when Jesus came and became a sacrifice on a cross for our sins, these may be hard to understand without reading the new testiment first

the new testament is far more praitcal on how to live a life with jesus

the old testament has lots of history and cool storys

i would advise praying then starting somewhere in the new testament or wherever the spirit leads you to start he is the best teacher of the word

for teaching i would advise
Charles price ( he is easy to understand and pratical)

also feel free to ask questions

Oct 22, 2011
You might want to check a free online program called e-sword. I think that will help you in your studies.
This is an awesome program and will download to your computer right to your desktop.
Here is the link to download this program, www.e-sword.net

In Christ, 1Christianwarrior316

S

Shwagga

Hi There.

Thanks!!
Be sure to pray to God in your own words, that He will reveal to you what He wants you to know from His word. Prayer is so important, keeping that constant relationship with God, heart to heart. Studying the Bible with a group of friends is great, both to learn and to fellowship and learn from God's Word together. But, always be sure to study the Bible on your own as well.

Lord bless you!

M

MosheMayim

Hi There.

Thanks!!
endtime.com has been a life changer. The archived radio shows are awesome and right up to date with Bible Prophecy information. I have been listening since 1997. You can also listen live everyday online plus call in to the show. https://www.endtime.com/ click on radio tab to see archived shows. YHWH Bless you.