BIBLE STUDY ??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

allthingspossible

I know how important bible study is to my salvation. How come it is so hard to get disaplined about this. I see other people I know have such a fire about them and want it so bad. I really feel uplifted when I read the Bible but have such a hard time staying focused. Any advice or even prayers for this appreciated. I love the Lord so much and want to do good for him for everything he gave for me. Feel like a dissapointment sometimes.

A

ariannaaa

i know how hard it can be to make it a normal habit, im sorry that you're struggling with that. i have in the past as well. i think that what made the difference for me between something i felt obligated to do, and something i wanted to do, was the realization that i am literally NOTHING apart from God. i have nothing of worth to offer anybody if God hasn't filled me with His Word and His Spirit that day. I'm not going to display the fruits of His Spirit, or walk in wisdom, or be used by Him, if I haven't been refeuled every morning. So basically i wake up every morning and say to myself.. do i want to do anything of worth for the Kingdom of God today, or not? because by my own strength, i'll accomplish nothing.

if we rely on church or other's words to sustain us and our relationship with God, we'll fail. Its in our quiet time that God speaks to us and reveals His will to us. Its also when we are able to develop a personal, intimate relationship with Him, as opposed to just learning more about Him.

for practical advice, honestly id just wake up a half hour or hour before you need to and force yourself to do it then. i think God honors us putting Him before sleep and its really been the best slot of time in my experience. "You shouldn't see the face of men before you've seen the face of God."

good luck with this, ill be praying for you.

A

allthingspossible

Thank you so much Ariannaaa for those words of encouragement. What you said is so true, I do feel more whole when I do study the word. God does bless me when I take time for him because he puts so much into my life. I think I will try the morning study time, that is my quietest time of the day with children still sleeping and my husband at work. Thank you very much and God Bless.

B

broken

its like working out or anyother lifestyle change. It takes time to make it a habit. (I'm still working on btw)

Perhaps you should consider studying topics that are of interest to you as opposed to a kerplunk or arbitrarily selecting a chapter. Also, fire is relative. Some are bonfires that rage with energy but burn out quickly. Others are coals that smoulder for years, even decades...

G

Graybeard

I too have been struggled with this, what Ariannaaa says is good. I also think that one must have a passion to be able to really get into study, and I suppose we have to literally force ourselves at first. have also thought that maybe getting into a Bible Study group would also be a good start.

Jul 26, 2009
I know what you mean. What I have done is night after night I pray for the all desires that God wants me to have...putting all my own personal desires of the flesh out of the way. Making my desires, Gods desires (My will = Gods Will) Try just reading a little bit of the bible each night before you go to bed, even if its just a simple verse at first, even if you don't "understand" it, that is OK. Pray for that God gives you understanding through His Spirit, like He promises, and know God answers in His time.
What I do sometimes is I go to www.biblegateway.com and HEAR the bible being read. Through doing this after awhile it will be second nature, and you will CRAVE knowledge from God, making you WANT to read the bible, and pray and all the other wonderful stuff you can do to help your walk with the Lord. I have several resources I use to keep me motivated in the Word(but give fully credit to the Holy Spirit). And even though at first it was hard to get into it, now some days I litteraly spend from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed in Study (but with breaks to eat and such)

Another thing, the BEST time to dig in the word is when you LEAST feel like it :), this is what builds discipline.

Yes getting in a GROUP bible study is good too, even though i have not found a good one yet around me. But still am praying and looking for one.

Hope this along with other responses are helping :)

all in all , it is the Holy Spirit that gives you the desire to dig in the Word.

email me if u want some resources/web sites to use to help

with love from our Father,

Donald

J

Jezreel

When I am doing housework and walking through the house busy, It is really neat to put on c.d.'s of the bible narrated New KJV. That can be helpful also to use so you don't feel like you are falling into a rut. A rut is nothing more than a grave with both ends knocked out.