Bible Versions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
let's I think I have heard this one before but let me see if I have it, one bible is too hard to understand so we go buy 18 different translations and to understand John 3:16 we cross reference all 18 preversion that is corrupt and says that God gave His one and only son, and I heard That I am a son of God, adam was a son of God, then i read that Jesus was the Only begotten son of God. so which son did the 18 translation tell us that died for us. oh yeah there it is, it was all the time tucked down in a foot note somewhere. and all this is because the authorized English Bible that people would easily understand 200, 300, 400 years ago and we are to ignorant to understand any more so study all 18 books that makes it a lot easier to understand The word of God, But i still don't see how that makes it easier??
None of us lives in a vacuum. We go to church and discuss scripture with other members. We discuss it with friends and family. We pray and ask God for guidance. The Holy Spirit is with us to help in discernment. As we become more spiritually mature, our consciences and the Holy Spirit guides us to Truth. WHEN questions arise, THEN we can compare scriptures from different bibles to help in making a choice. I find it hard to believe that anyone in this room, or any Christian anywhere for that matter, who would believe that Jesus was praying to anyone but God when praying the Lord's prayer. You would have to find someone living on Mars to believe that Adam died for our sins. You are being overly dogmatic in defending a translation that has it's own problems, and using silly examples to do it.

F

faithwarrior

None of us lives in a vacuum. We go to church and discuss scripture with other members. We discuss it with friends and family. We pray and ask God for guidance. The Holy Spirit is with us to help in discernment. As we become more spiritually mature, our consciences and the Holy Spirit guides us to Truth. WHEN questions arise, THEN we can compare scriptures from different bibles to help in making a choice. I find it hard to believe that anyone in this room, or any Christian anywhere for that matter, who would believe that Jesus was praying to anyone but God when praying the Lord's prayer. You would have to find someone living on Mars to believe that Adam died for our sins. You are being overly dogmatic in defending a translation that has it's own problems, and using silly examples to do it.
I will have to agree with dave on this one. Just because I choose to read any other bible besides the KJV doesn't make me less save than any one else. I love God with all my heart, soul, and mind. I have relationship with God and I am filled with His Holy Spirit and yes I have discernment. If God didn't want to read these other versions, He would have told me by now. There are some versions that are totally off the mark (like the Jehovah Witness' bible).

After I got save, my first bible was the NKJV. I use a KJV, NKJV, NIV, AMP, and NLT (I don't prefer this one, but I have it). These bible versions are good in aiding to understand what was said during the times. Though they are worded differently, they are still saying the same thing.

I see it like this...It is hard for people who speak modern day English to really understand Old English.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I would recommend the NASB if you are looking for a word-for-word, the NIV if you are looking for a dynamic equivilent, and the NLB if you are looking for a paraphrase. There will be many that will insist on the KJV. It is a fine translation, but the language is very archaic and difficult to understand.
I agree, I have read the NASB for over 20 years now. I really believe that it is among the most accurate if not the most accurate word for word translation.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009

Footnotes:
  1. John 3:16 Or his only begotten Son
or look was it the One and only son or as the footnote OR his only begotten this is confusion even with the footnote
Luke 3:38 (New International Version)

the son of Kenan, 38the son of Enosh,
the son of Seth, the son of Adam,
the son of God.

so adam was THE SON of God so it must be Him that died for our sins, without prior bible knowledge, with the niv this is all we could conclude
Without prior bible knowledge, one would conclude NOTHING about salvation, or of ANYONE dying for sins. Your argument is ridiculous. In order to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, people must know who and what He was, why He died on the cross, and who we are in relation to Him. This knowledge cannot be gained by picking a few verses here and there from the bible, regardless of which translation you use. Anyone who has read the Gospels knows that it is made quite clear Who died for our sins. I could pick many verses from your beloved KJV and present them by themselves, and they would be misleading "without prior bible knowledge". The bible is meant to be taken as a whole, and not in bits and pieces.

Jan 31, 2009
Without prior bible knowledge, one would conclude NOTHING about salvation, or of ANYONE dying for sins. Your argument is ridiculous. In order to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, people must know who and what He was, why He died on the cross, and who we are in relation to Him. This knowledge cannot be gained by picking a few verses here and there from the bible, regardless of which translation you use. Anyone who has read the Gospels knows that it is made quite clear Who died for our sins. I could pick many verses from your beloved KJV and present them by themselves, and they would be misleading "without prior bible knowledge". The bible is meant to be taken as a whole, and not in bits and pieces.
so you can't help lead someone to the Lord unless they have prior bible knowledge???? wow,

Jan 31, 2009
I agree, I have read the NASB for over 20 years now. I really believe that it is among the most accurate if not the most accurate word for word translation.
John 4:29 (New American Standard Bible)

29"Come, see a man (A)who told me all the things that I have done; (B)this is not the Christ, is it?"

Cross references:
  1. John 4:29 : John 4:17
  2. John 4:29 : Matt 12:23; John 7:26, 31

the lady at the well had just met Jesus and she went back to her town and told people "this is not the Christ, is it?" wow really great translation, Not!!!!!

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I was going to answer you, but decided not to.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
so you can't help lead someone to the Lord unless they have prior bible knowledge???? wow,
Wow is right. I was using YOUR words.

You've been reading that old English so long that you can't understand modern English.

Let me translate it for you.

What I said is that you have to have a good knowledge of the Gospels to understand who Jesus is and what His sacrifice on the cross means to members of His church. That knowledge can be found in almost all modern versions of the bible, as well as the KJV. No one is going to be led astray, or brought into the light by reading a couple of verses pulled at random, as you are doing, from ANY bible.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2009
No it is not just Jesus, it doesn't say if we confess that Jesus has come in the flesh then we are of God, but says if we confess that Jesus Christ ( the Savior ), or course the highly favored Nasb says that their jesus was not the christ so I guess we still need to wait on the messaih as the jews are. so what jesus are the other translations teaching, Niv says that Joseph was their jesus's father, so doesn't that do away also with the virgin birth , so I guess they are right and joseph was their jesus's father , see all the wisdom I can get from you alls favorite preversion of the Holy scriptures, so you guys want to teach your kids all this garbage about The Holy One From God, go ahead, you are going to do it your way any how, I really don't know why I am so against all the modern day preversions I mean after all Jesus Christ did say that if you blaspheme the Son it would be forgiven of you,, but nay I will lift My Lord Up with all my might, with all my being,

and one for the record to whom it may concern I have never said that if you read other translations, and do not read the KJB that you will burn in hell, That is not my place nor will it ever be!!!!

Last edited:

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
By this woman's testimony the whole town went to see Jesus. It is a way of saying, "Is this really Him?"

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
No it is not just Jesus, it doesn't say if we confess that Jesus has come in the flesh then we are of God, but says if we confess that Jesus Christ ( the Savior ), or course the highly favored Nasb says that their jesus was not the christ so I guess we still need to wait on the messaih as the jews are. so what jesus are the other translations teaching, Niv says that Joseph was their jesus's father, so doesn't that do away also with the virgin birth , so I guess they are right and joseph was their jesus's father , see all the wisdom I can get from you alls favorite preversion of the Holy scriptures, so you guys want to teach your kids all this garbage about The Holy One From God, go ahead, you are going to do it your way any how, I really don't know why I am so against all the modern day preversions I mean after all Jesus Christ did say that if you blaspheme the Son it would be forgiven of you,, but nay I will lift My Lord Up with all my might, with all my being,

and one for the record to whom it may concern I have never said that if you read other translations, and do not read the KJB that you will burn in hell, That is not my place nor will it ever be!!!!
Luke 1: 29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31 You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end." 34 "How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?" 35 The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. 37 For nothing is impossible with God." (NIV)

I hate to say this Pastor Keith, but there seems to be some deficiency in how you read the bible. You pick out two or three verses here and there and make sweeping generalizations about them, without ever considering the context, or how they relate to other verses found in the bible about those subjects. Contrary to what you say, the NIV makes it clear that Jesus was a virgin birth.

Maybe the following will help you. I will reprint it from another thread.

Another major problem is the one summed up in the following from How to Understand The Bible, by W. Robert Palmer, (College Press Publishing, 1995, pp. 69-70).

For a full understanding of the Bible, all passages on any subject must be studied. Truth has many sides. Each passage, though true, does not always give all the truth. And usually a passage has a particular design of presenting clearly one facet of truth or of combating some significant extreme people are susceptible to. No one should ever draw a general conclusion on any Bible subject until all passages concerning it have been collected, considered, and compared.
We think of no better illustration of this than the subject of conversion. In pointing out the steps of salvation that a sinner must take, such passages on faith as John 3:16 and Acts 16:31 have been emphasized by some. On the other hand, such verses on repentence as Luke 13:3, Acts 2:38, and Acts 17:30; on confession of faith as Matthew 10:32 and Romans 10:9,10; and on baptism as Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, and Acts 22:16 have been put aside. Only the sum total of passages on a given subject will give complete understanding.

F

forgivenandloved

Ok so here it goes, never actually understood this, so I am going to ask this!

There are different versions of the bible; NIV, ESV, NKJV, etc. I understand that these all have to do with the way the original transcripts were intereprted from arabic, but what exactly is the difference between these versions? And if I you were recommending a bible to a believer, which one would you recommend and why?

Thanks for your help guys,

god bless
I don't believe there is just one certain Bible all believers should use. I personally like the message bible since I understand it more.

Jan 31, 2009
Luke 1: 29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31 You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end." 34 "How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?" 35 The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. 37 For nothing is impossible with God." (NIV)

I hate to say this Pastor Keith, but there seems to be some deficiency in how you read the bible. You pick out two or three verses here and there and make sweeping generalizations about them, without ever considering the context, or how they relate to other verses found in the bible about those subjects. Contrary to what you say, the NIV makes it clear that Jesus was a virgin birth.

Maybe the following will help you. I will reprint it from another thread.

Another major problem is the one summed up in the following from How to Understand The Bible, by W. Robert Palmer, (College Press Publishing, 1995, pp. 69-70).

For a full understanding of the Bible, all passages on any subject must be studied. Truth has many sides. Each passage, though true, does not always give all the truth. And usually a passage has a particular design of presenting clearly one facet of truth or of combating some significant extreme people are susceptible to. No one should ever draw a general conclusion on any Bible subject until all passages concerning it have been collected, considered, and compared.
We think of no better illustration of this than the subject of conversion. In pointing out the steps of salvation that a sinner must take, such passages on faith as John 3:16 and Acts 16:31 have been emphasized by some. On the other hand, such verses on repentence as Luke 13:3, Acts 2:38, and Acts 17:30; on confession of faith as Matthew 10:32 and Romans 10:9,10; and on baptism as Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, and Acts 22:16 have been put aside. Only the sum total of passages on a given subject will give complete understanding.
if joseph was His father then he was not born of the virgin birth, Joseph was His father according to the niv

Luke 2:33 (New International Version)

33The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him.

KJB
Lu 2:33And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
if joseph was His father then he was not born of the virgin birth, Joseph was His father according to the niv

Luke 2:33 (New International Version)

33The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him.

KJB
Lu 2:33And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
You're not getting it Pastor Keith. That's OK though. I believe that God will make you successful in His work, according to His will. God bless.

C

charisenexcelcis

Well, I'm glad of that. First of all, the NASB is correctly interpreting the negative idiom that the Samaritan woman used. Second, the whole "Alexandrian" manuscript thing is a rediculous fabrication made up to justify the continued use of the KJV. If those teachers (as few as they are) were serious they would seek a new translation out of the Textus Recepticus (which would be nearly identical to the other modern translations). NASB by the way says, in agreement with the KJV that Jesus was "supposedly" the son of Joseph. In red you will find what is called "claiming by denial". If I say "I would never claim that you are a [insert slander here]", the connotation is that indeed I am a [insert slander here] but you are too polite to say it. Now, you've taken my test and know that you are using a translation that is easily misunderstood. Yet you still think that one translation in archaic and almost foreign language is better than the comparison of translations which are actually readable to the modern reader. You make claims regarding the manuscripts without knowing anything about the manuscripts, in the face of the practical undivided opinion of Christian scholarship. The issue of modern translations has become for you the cause of all that is ill in the world. Give me any core velief of Christianity and I will gfind you ten scriptures out of the NASB or the NIV that will support it. And on top of this, you either cannot spell perversions correctly or are unsure of yourself enough to be cautious not to....