Biblical examples of Intercessory Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AnandaHya

I'm collecting examples of Intercessory Prayer in the Bible. here are a couple that come to mind...

Luke 13

6 He also spoke this parable: “A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. 7 Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, ‘Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?’ 8 But he answered and said to him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it. 9 And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that[a] you can cut it down.’”

Exodus 32
7 And the LORD said to Moses, “Go, get down! For your people whom you brought out of the land of Egypt have corrupted themselves. 8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them. They have made themselves a molded calf, and worshiped it and sacrificed to it, and said, ‘This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!’” 9 And the LORD said to Moses, “I have seen this people, and indeed it is a stiff-necked people! 10 Now therefore, let Me alone, that My wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them. And I will make of you a great nation.”
11 Then Moses pleaded with the LORD his God, and said: “LORD, why does Your wrath burn hot against Your people whom You have brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians speak, and say, ‘He brought them out to harm them, to kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your fierce wrath, and relent from this harm to Your people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your own self, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven; and all this land that I have spoken of I give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’”[a] 14 So the LORD relented from the harm which He said He would do to His people.

R

Rosewater

Not so much an example, but guidance on prayer inlcuding intercessions:

1.Timothy 2: 1-4

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and alll who are in high positions, so tht we may lead a quiet and peceable life in all godliness and dignity. This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, who desires everyone to be saved and to come ot the knowledge of the truth.

Exodus 33:12:

Moses said to the Lord, "See, you have said to me, 'Bring up this people; but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said, 'I know you by name, and you have also found favour in my sight'. Now if I have favour in your sight, show me your ways to that I may know you and find favour in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people."

A

AnandaHya

the book of Esther still makes me wonder but here are some from that book...

Esther 4
3 And in every province where the king’s command and decree arrived, there was great mourning among the Jews, with fasting, weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.

15 Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai: 16 “Go, gather all the Jews who are present in Shushan, and fast for me; neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will fast likewise. And so I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish!”

I always think wouldn't it be strange to married to a guy that you were forbidden to approach but must wait upon his summons?

R

Rosewater

Genesis 18: 16: Abraham's pleas to the Lord to not detroy Sodom if there were righteous men.

Feb 17, 2010
Ananda the best intercessory prayer is the one in John 17... Now do me one favour, as I truly love you as much as I am allowed too...
Read John 17 and try imagine God doing for you what Jesus ask HIM to do. Imagine God putting you IN JESUS, and JESUS In YOU!

Just imagine this please Ananda... This is what Jesus ask God to do in this prayer... He says that He wasnt God to PUT YOU where HE IS RIGHT NOW... So that you may BEHOLD HIS GLORY... And He says that God must Put Jesus in YOU so that your JESUS can be GLORIFIED IN YOU!

Now I am asking you ONE thing... If Jesus is GLORIFIED in ANANDA, how can she sin? IMPOSSIBLE!!!

May 21, 2009
I'm collecting examples of Intercessory Prayer in the Bible. here are a couple that come to mind...

Luke 13

6 He also spoke this parable: “A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. 7 Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, ‘Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?’ 8 But he answered and said to him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it. 9 And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that[a] you can cut it down.’”

Exodus 32
7 And the LORD said to Moses, “Go, get down! For your people whom you brought out of the land of Egypt have corrupted themselves. 8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them. They have made themselves a molded calf, and worshiped it and sacrificed to it, and said, ‘This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!’” 9 And the LORD said to Moses, “I have seen this people, and indeed it is a stiff-necked people! 10 Now therefore, let Me alone, that My wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them. And I will make of you a great nation.”
11 Then Moses pleaded with the LORD his God, and said: “LORD, why does Your wrath burn hot against Your people whom You have brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians speak, and say, ‘He brought them out to harm them, to kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your fierce wrath, and relent from this harm to Your people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your own self, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven; and all this land that I have spoken of I give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’”[a] 14 So the LORD relented from the harm which He said He would do to His people.

1. Genesis 24:63
    And Isaac went out to meditate and bow down [in prayer] in the open country in the evening; and he looked up and saw that, behold, the camels were coming.
    Genesis 24:62-64 (in Context) Genesis 24 (Whole Chapter)
  2. Genesis 25:21
    And Isaac prayed much to the Lord for his wife because she was unable to bear children; and the Lord granted his prayer, and Rebekah his wife became pregnant.
    Genesis 25:20-22 (in Context) Genesis 25 (Whole Chapter)
  3. Genesis 25:22
    [Two] children struggled together within her; and she said, If it is so [that the Lord has heard our prayer], why am I like this? And she went to inquire of the Lord.
    Genesis 25:21-23 (in Context) Genesis 25 (Whole Chapter)
  4. Genesis 30:8
    And Rachel said, With mighty wrestlings [in prayer to God] I have struggled with my sister and have prevailed; so she named him [this second son Bilhah bore] Naphtali [struggled].
    Genesis 30:7-9 (in Context) Genesis 30 (Whole Chapter)
  5. Genesis 30:17
    And God heeded Leah's [prayer], and she conceived and bore Jacob [her] fifth son.
    Genesis 30:16-18 (in Context) Genesis 30 (Whole Chapter)
  6. Exodus 33:11
    And the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. Moses returned to the camp, but his minister Joshua son of Nun, a young man, did not depart from the [temporary prayer] tent.
    Exodus 33:10-12 (in Context) Exodus 33 (Whole Chapter)
  7. Exodus 40:27
    He burned sweet incense [symbol of prayer] upon it, as the Lord commanded him.
    Exodus 40:26-28 (in Context) Exodus 40 (Whole Chapter)
  8. 2 Samuel 7:27
    For You, O Lord of hosts, God of Israel, have revealed this to Your servant: I will build you a house. So Your servant has found courage to pray this prayer to You.
    2 Samuel 7:26-28 (in Context) 2 Samuel 7 (Whole Chapter)
  9. 2 Samuel 24:25
    David built there an altar to the Lord and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings. So the Lord heeded the prayers for the land, and Israel's plague was stayed.
    2 Samuel 24:24-25 (in Context) 2 Samuel 24 (Whole Chapter)
  10. 1 Kings 8:28
    Yet graciously consider the prayer and supplication of Your servant, O Lord my God, to hearken to the [loud] cry and prayer which he prays before You today,
    1 Kings 8:27-29 (in Context) 1 Kings 8 (Whole Chapter)