Biblical Meditation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Kefa52

What are your thoughts on Biblical Meditation.

Psalm 4:4 Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still.

Psalm 143:5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Thy doings; I muse on the work of Thy hands.

K

kenisyes

Are there any such NT references? When we talk OT, I think we are looking at texts that report history, prophecy, and creative writings about experiences of God. The three need to be thought about, if they are to be applied to a person's current life. The Law itself (the 613 commandments) need to be meditated on to understand God's purpose in making them as they are. Jesus shares, in the sermon on the mount, such purposes. The Jewish rabbis considered the Law the blueprint of the universe, but it sound like do's and don'ts. Bridging that gap, without Jesus, can keep one busy for many years.

There is also a later Jewish legend, that a man cannot die while he is reciting Scripture. There are stories of rabbis who kept alive many years longer by doing this. I'm certain this is made up, of course.

B

BishopSEH

Biblical meditation is required for all believers. Usually when a person thinks of meditation they tend towards transcendental meditation. This is the clearing of your mind of everything, all thought, everything and allowing your mind to simply be blank. In contrast, biblical meditation is the focusing of the Word and promises of God. The centering of your mind the Lord and the removal of the world for a time of intense communication with the Lord.

Can you have a relationship without biblical meditation. Yes. Will it have any side effects if you don't practice biblical meditation. Again, yes. Remember that the marriage relationship is a mirror of our relationship with God. Taking out biblical meditation is like taking sex out of marriage. Your still married but there is a loss of fulfillment. The is a stress on the relationship that does not need to be there and can be easily repaired.

To reference the sowers parable, Biblical meditation is the clearing away of thorns that seek to choke out your relationship with Christ. Even those that are fertile soil can still have a crop of tares. In the days of the apostles the only way to deal with tares was to leave them or pull them out and risk pulling part of the crop with them. Today we have pesticides that can target a single weed while leaving the crop unmolested. When you meditate on the Word the tares of life can be destroyed and uprooted without harm to your faith, with practice.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

Oct 31, 2011
kenisyes; ]Are there any such NT references? When we talk OT, I think we are looking at texts that report history, prophecy, and creative writings about experiences of God. The three need to be thought about, if they are to be applied to a person's current life. The Law itself (the 613 commandments) need to be meditated on to understand God's purpose in making them as they are. Jesus shares, in the sermon on the mount, such purposes. The Jewish rabbis considered the Law the blueprint of the universe, but it sound like do's and don'ts. Bridging that gap, without Jesus, can keep one busy for many years
What insight! So many of us read these commandments and get stuck with the idea that God is cruel. They laugh at these laws, without in the least understanding them. It is through meditation our worldly mind can see God's purpose is in preserving real, everlasting life.

The word meditation means such different things to different minds. Bishop talks of some of the strange things that word brings up in our modern world. I think that some of the modern ideas of how to quiet ourselves enough to truly listen to God through the world chatter of our minds is worth it. There are older writings about this, too, usually by rabbis.

Many of our prayers are simply telling God all about what He knows. The truly worthwhile prayer is when we let God's words fill us and we quietly listen. God calls it meditation.

K

Kefa52

I am not talking about any of the modern meditation techniques just "Biblical Meditation".

Oct 31, 2011
Kefa52; I am not talking about any of the modern meditation techniques just "Biblical Meditation".
If you mean by "modern meditation techniques" such as transcendental meditation, clearing your mind of thought, etc. then I can understand that it has no place in the your thread. If you mean that we cannot learn anything from people who study meditation today, then I would disagree with you. I think they have insight and learning about what God wants us to know about meditation, and it relates to your thread. Everything must be looked at through the lens of God's word. Many modern techniques do not stand up to this lens. Learning how to quiet ourselves better to listen to God does stand up to His word so could be included in a discussion about biblical meditation.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. I have never read this before, but i do this alot. I just turn off the lights and lay in bed and enjoy talking with god and this is how often times we connect. Or other times if i am worried or stressed doing this will give me peace

L

Laodicea

Psalms 1:2 KJV
(2) But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

H1897
הגה
hâgâh
haw-gaw'
A primitive root (compare H1901); to murmur (in pleasure or anger); by implication to ponder: - imagine, meditate, mourn, mutter, roar, X sore, speak, study, talk, utter.

Philippians 4:8 KJV
(8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.