Biblical repentance

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roaringkitten

I'm going to use an illustration to explain how one Biblically comes to Christ. For a long time I thought that repentance meant "turning from my sins"(ie: to stop sinning). In other words, there is a popular teaching today that requires sinners to "stop sinning"(ie:turn from their sins) and/or making a commitment to the Lord as a prerequisite to coming to Christ(getting their sins forgiven and salvation). Repentance in greek means "a change of mind". Many people dont define the term directly. Which is why you get "turning from your sins" as a popular interpretation. "Believe" in the greek means to "depend upon", in other words faith. The next verse is an example of belief=faith:

"Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing." John 20:27

When a patient goes to the hospital he has realized these things:
1)He is aware of his sickness
2)he knows that he can't do anything on his part to cure himself because otherwise going to the hospital wouldn't be necessary.
3)he trusts the doctors to cure him

Notice, before a patient realizes he is sick he did not feel a need to go to a doctor. Let me parallel this illustration to how we come to Jesus. We are all sick with sin(Romans 3:23, 1 John 1:10). The penalty of sin is death(Romans 6:23). Jesus has dealt with our sins and can cure us(Acts 10:43, Romans 5:8, 1 John 2:2, John 5:24).

When a sinner goes to the Savior he has realized these things:
1)He is aware of his sin(Romans 3:19-20, Galatians 3:24)
2)He knows that he can't do anything on his part to cure himself because otherwise going to the Savior wouldn't be necessary.(Galatians 2:16, Galatians 2:21, Galatians 3:1-3, Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 11:6)
3)He trusts the Savior to save him(Romans 4:5 , Romans 10:9, Romans 10:13-14, John 3:16, John 3:18, John 3:36, John 7:28, 1 John 5:13 ).

If it was required for one to "turn from their sins"(stop sinning) as a requirement to come to Jesus, that is like the doctor saying to the patient, "I would like to cure you of your illness, but before I will help, you must stop being ill and doing the things that made you ill". If it was required for one to "make a life commitment to the Lord" as a requirement to come to Jesus, that is like the doctor saying to the patient, "I would like to cure you of your illness, but before I will help, you must commit your life to healthy living".

Jesus says otherwise:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37

The root of our faith is Jesus(Romans 4:5). The fruits of our faith are good works(James 2:18, Ephesians 2:10, Romans 12:1). Genuine faith produces fruit. Just as healing is EVIDENCE of the patient going to the doctor to get cured! Fruits of our faith are "wanting to commit to the Lord" and "hating sin/turning from sin."

Many times throughout Scripture, God tells us that BELIEF(trust) in the Son saves man. But UNBELIEF is what condemns man. Isaiah 53:6 says "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all." "his own way" is not God's way but our own way! God's way is placing our faith in Jesus Christ(ie:believing the gospel). In order for one to go by God's way(belief), they must go from UNBELIEF to BELIEF(a "change of mind"-repentance)! One must repent of the very thing that keeps one unsaved in order to be saved!

"Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing." John 20:27

The verse above shows Thomas without faith(unbelief). Jesus tells him to stop doubting and believe! He turns from UNBELIEF to BELIEF in the next few verses as Jesus explains(John 20:28-29). This is a "change of mind"(repentance). Changing ones mind from our "own way" to "God's way" is what saves us!

Notice, that while there be many verses in the Word that have the word "repentance" in them, the word "repentance" shows up not even once in John! But the word "believe" shows up in John dozens and dozens of times! It is understood that one that has believed has also repented. Repented of what? Repented of their unbelief!

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." Acts 16:30-31

What was it that was hindering salvation in the above verse? UNBELIEF. What was done for salvation? They turned from unbelief to belief. The "change of mind"(repentance) was from unbelief to belief! Even though the answer to the question did not involve the word "repentance" it was understood that those who turned from unbelief to belief had repented.

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

“…for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Matthew 9:13

He came to call sinners to repentance(a change of mind). A sinner w/o Christ is under condemnation and without BELIEF. He turns to the Savior in BELIEF to get saved!

I believe Mark 1:15 and John 20:27 are great parallel verses:

"The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel." Mark 1:15

To "be not faithless", one must turn from their faithlessness.This is a "change of mind".

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." James 2:19

This verse does NOT say that belief is not enough for salvation. It does say that EVEN the demons believe "that there is one God" and tremble. Believing that there is one God saves no one! Only through one's guiltiness before God under the law and trusting Jesus Christ as the Savior! No one can even come to the Father but by Jesus!

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” John 14:6

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37

"Turning from your sins" is a condition for being a disciple, not a condition for being saved(Luke 14:26-27, Luke 9:23, Luke 14:33). Discipleship happens AFTER Jesus comes into your heart when you believed. As a Christian, when you sin, you are not "following after Christ"(ie:discipleship).

SUMMARY:
One comes to Christ through the conviction that one is a sinner before God deserving of hell-fire, and trusting Jesus as the Savior. In order to come to Christ one must have a "change of mind"(repentance). The change of mind is concerning your sinful state and what you must do to be saved! Turning from unbelief to belief in the gospel is the answer! The fruits of genuine belief(faith) is a desire to turn from your sins, a desire to commit your life to the Lord! Before you were saved, sin was desirable. After salvation you HATE sin! We must NEVER require the fruits as a prerequisite to being saved though!

"I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life FREELY." Revelation 21:6

May the Lord bless you. In humility, rk

Jan 8, 2009
Yes I agree. We could easily change the word repent to "change your mind" in the Gospels and it would make perfect sense.
This pastor taught us this that repentance is changing the mind, well a 180 degree turn around basically. It is not meant to be something painful or difficult but a free-ing liberating and joyful experience. When Jesus said "repent ye the kingdom of God is at hand", he was basically saying, "change your mind about God" - God is now here on earth in His Son, He is not far away as you suppose , He is now here to save you, heal you and make you whole
"change your mind about others" - forgive others, turn the other cheek etc, "change your mind about yourself" - see yourself as a sinner humbly needing God's saving grace, turn from sin and accept God's free gift ..be baptised, see yourself as God sees you, not as the world or as the Pharisees see you.

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
To roaringkitten,

As a followup to what you have posted on repentance. If I have trusted Christ for salvation and I am following Him and because of weakness or temptation I fall into sin, what do I do about the sin and do I apply repentance to my sin the same way it is applied to unbelief?

R

roaringkitten

BLC, here's a verse that shows the word "repentance" and "wickedness" in the same verse:

"Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee." Acts 8:22

Simon thought he could buy the gift of the Holy Spirit with money so Peter sharply rebuked him. Notice(in earlier verses), that Simon's profession was a sorcerer. But when the gospel reached him, he believed and was baptized.

"Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done." Acts 8:13

So this wasn't saying that he needed to "turn from sin" to be saved(he had already been saved by BELIEVING in Christ), but rather, to repent of his sin!

There is ONE sin that is not pardonable for salvation. And that is the sin of UNBELIEF.

As Christians we are commanded to live Godly lives(Romans 12:1-2) and we will mess up time to time! But since it was the sin of UNBELIEF that kept us from being saved, falling into various types of sins as Christians does not get us unsaved!

"For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief." Proverbs 24:16

There is repentance from UNBELIEF to BELIEF. And there is a repentance from our sins as Christians. Remember, "repentance" in context can be talking about UNBELIEF(those who are not saved) or Christians who should turn from their sins to live Godly lives.

R

roaringkitten

So to apply repentance to a Christian who falls into sin. He/she asks forgiveness from God.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
To roaringkitten,

Over the years many believers have fallen into sin and have no idea what to do. They do not know how to get access to the grace of God. They live in guilt when they know they shouldn't and feel terrible about their sin. They have pleaded the blood of Christ over and over without any victory. They live in defeat, and some even question their salvation as to really having it or have lost it because of their sin. Sin has devastated them and some have lived that way for years thinking that God has rejected them. They are good people that love God but have a problem with knowing what to do about their sin, after salvation. I think that every one of us can say that we have faced this kind of thing in some measure. So, what needs to be done? What do the scriptures teach us? How would you instruct or lovingly counsel such a person?

R

roaringkitten

BLC, I would look at these verses:

"Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Romans 7: 17-24

Paul is speaking of a RAGING battle between the spirit and the flesh(Ephesians 6:12). I have personally battled the flesh as a Christian myself on many occasions.

"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
James 5:16

In a situation where all hope seems lost with a Christian battling sin(ie:addictions), PRAYER is the answer. I cannot emphasize enough the importance and need for fervent prayer. Notice the part where it says to "pray one for another". As Christians who are struggling in sin, God wants us to go to one another and support each other in prayer and in encouragement.

"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." Proverbs 27:17

"Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips." Psalm 17:1

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." Philippians 4:6

"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

BLC, if you and/or someone needs prayer in this area I am more than happy to pray for you or anyone! Just let me know. God bless=)

T

Truth4All

I think there's a distinction between falling into sin and continuing on in a pattern of sin after you are saved. There are people I known that believe once they say the sinner's prayer they are automatically under God's grace even when they continue on in a sinful lifestyle. They seem to be using the sinner's prayer as a get-out-of-jail-free card. But are such people truly repentant? Their actions scream NO! And I doubt that God buys in to their charade. I believe that people who continue in their sinful lifestyles AFTER they're "saved" were never really saved to begin with. Someone I respect once told me that if you can continually answer "yes" to the following question then you can have assurance of your salvation: Are you a little holier today than you were 6 months ago? If you keep answering "yes" then you know that the Holy Spirit is working in your life to purify your heart.

R

roaringkitten

Truth4all, yeah I agree. Here is the distinction. One who thought they came to Christ w/o REALIZING his sinful state, came in VAIN. The whole point to coming to Christ is because they know they are vile and sinful in God's eyes. When they trust Jesus as their Savior through their knowledge of the law, they in fact "turn from sin", "want to turn from sin", "hate sin" as fruit of their faith. But only God knows if they really trusted Jesus. Man can fool man. But he cannot fool God.

T

Truth4All

Well said, RK!

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
1John 1:5-2:2 'This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world'.

Six (6) times the conjunction 'if' is used, and in every case the verb is in the active voice and subjunctive mood. The active voice points to the subject of the verb producing the action. When you have the conjunction 'if' used with a verb in the active voice and subjunctive mood, the subject 'may or may not' produce the action. There is no distinction to whether a person is living in habitual or isolated sin in these verses. In (1John 1:8) the word 'sin' is singular and without the definite article, which points to the sin nature and not the sins produced by it. Anyone can conclude that if God did not remove or eradicate the old sin nature, then we have a capacity to commit sins as a believer.

There is a problem with how some view sin and fellowship in these verses. If we live in sin that has not been confessed to God, at present, we have no fellowship with Him. That does not mean that we have never had fellowship, but instead, the sin has broken our fellowship with God and with one another. To be restored to fellowship, the Holy Spirit convicts or reproves us of the sin, we agree with the Holy Spirit and confess it to God. Instantly, we are forgiven, cleansed and our fellowship is restored without any probation from God. We don't confess any sin that we have not been convicted of by the Holy Spirit. Just because someone accuses you of sin doesn't make it so.

The entrance of God's word gives light (Ps 119:130). That light exposes and reveals the darkness that keeps us from intimate fellowship with God through the Spirit (Phil 2:1), who searches the deep things of God (1Cor 2:10). When we mix faith with God's word (Heb 4:2), we are walking in the light that we have. As we walk in that light, as He is in the light (1John 1;7), that light will reveal any darkness or sin that exists in the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb 4:12). It is the light of God's conviction that reveals the darkness of broken fellowship and not the charges or accusation of man that points to moral failure. It is easy to accuse someone of adultery or some other outward sin when they are guilty of the act, but God, unlike man, looks upon the heart (1Sam 16:7). This is my understanding and the law of the Spirit of life makes me free from the law of sin and death (Rom 8:2).

C

christiancanadian

To roaringkitten,

Over the years many believers have fallen into sin and have no idea what to do. They do not know how to get access to the grace of God. They live in guilt when they know they shouldn't and feel terrible about their sin. They have pleaded the blood of Christ over and over without any victory. They live in defeat, and some even question their salvation as to really having it or have lost it because of their sin. Sin has devastated them and some have lived that way for years thinking that God has rejected them. They are good people that love God but have a problem with knowing what to do about their sin, after salvation. I think that every one of us can say that we have faced this kind of thing in some measure. So, what needs to be done? What do the scriptures teach us? How would you instruct or lovingly counsel such a person?

I go through that same thing from time to time. When I sin, I feel guilt and shame and I temporarily think that God doesn't love me anymore. I say temporarily because as RoaringKittnen mentions, in 1John that if we confess are sin he will forgive them. If you do some homework on it, satan is very good at keeping the guilt going while God has already forgiven us. That's where our trust needs to come in.

In Christ,
glenn

K

kselby

the feeling of guilt we get when we do sin is healthy... it is our conscience....a strong conscience can even prevent us from commiting the sinin the first place....when we love god we want to do our best o please him...and yet we all do fall into sin...sometimes not so serious,perhaps imoral thoughts,other times very serious...eg fornication.We have been given this conscience to protect us from the conciquences of serious sin...however guilt from sin is what results...and like i said we should almost be glad of this guilt we feel...for if we had no feelings of guilt after commiting sin nothing would stop us from doing it again and leading a sinful life.True god does not want us to feel guilt any more than necesary to repent or change our way...and he has given us the way in which to be forgiven through jesus' ransom sacrifice.... which in my own experience we can sometimes feel unworthy of accepting....but then when i realised that by me not accepting jesus' sacrifice i am in a way rejecting jesus himself and in turn god...and i did not want to reject them because i love them....so by accepting that i am worthy...i was able to accept forgiveness ....which inturn helps me to remain faithful.Remember god does not expect perfection from us he understands our imperfect nature..which is why he has allowed for forgiveness.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.