Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jimmydiggs

In Matthew 5, Christ says "blessed are the poor in spirit". I have it quoted below from Bible Gateway.

atthew 5 (New International Version, ©2010)

Matthew 5

Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount

1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.
The Beatitudes

He said:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
What about them is poor? Is it a monetary poor? An intellectual poor? How is poor being used?

I ask this, because often an argument I hear against Theism at large goes along the lines of, "only stupid people believe that" followed by some kind of state by state IQ comparison with religious views. So I began to think, maybe this is exactly what the bible says would happen. What are your thoughts?

Also, I found a website that argues that the monetary poor is more likely the reason, as correlation based information shows that lower GDP's in a country, are often accompanied by high religious importance.

Religion vs. IQ - Are Religious People Stupid? <--- click for GDP argument

V

vahn

No. God didn't create us to be dumb or stupid.

J

jimmydiggs

I wasn't argueing that God created us dumb or stupid. I was just wondering if it was easier for the "poor" to be rich in "spirit".

V

vahn

It was in reference to this:

What about them is poor? Is it a monetary poor? An intellectual poor? How is poor being used?
As followers of Jesus Christ we will face many more hardships because we are a threat to Satan.

Last edited:
S

Sean4JC

The text is refering to spiritual poverty. We come to Christ as "spiritual beggars" seeking that which only He can give. Spiritual wealth involves nothing on our own but only that which Christ gives through His life, death, and resurrection.

D

dmdave17

I believe that this is an indirect reference to God's attitude toward pride and arrogance. We all know of the multitude of biblical references about pride. One example would be Proverbs 29, verse 23, "Pride brings a person low, but the lowly in spirit gain honor." I believe that this verse, uttered by Solomon, represents exactly the same idea as Jesus' statement hundreds of years later. What Jesus is saying, I think, is that the humble will be rewarded in Heaven because of their humility.

C

Crazy4GODword

These Blessed passages doesn't show how a man should be saved, but the characteristics of one who is already saved.

When He means poor He means, humble..... not pride and not haughty but humbled before God. They are not puffed and exulted in their own manner. They are humble and kind and they shall receive the kingdom because of their attitude (doesn't mean that is the only thing you should do).

D

dmdave17

I wasn't argueing that God created us dumb or stupid. I was just wondering if it was easier for the "poor" to be rich in "spirit".
I already posted my thoughts on "poor in spirit", but I think Jesus answered this specific question with a resounding "Yes"! "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:24) It is hard for anyone to serve two masters, and when one of them is wealth,...

Dec 19, 2009
I tend to think the Lord was speaking of how much money we have. That sounds to me like what he is talking about here:

And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: Blessed are you poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Luke 6:20 RSV
But woe to you that are rich, for you have received your consolation. Luke 6:24 RSV

A

AnandaHya

In Matthew 5, Christ says "blessed are the poor in spirit". I have it quoted below from Bible Gateway.

I ask this, because often an argument I hear against Theism at large goes along the lines of, "only stupid people believe that" followed by some kind of state by state IQ comparison with religious views. So I began to think, maybe this is exactly what the bible says would happen. What are your thoughts?

The poor are blessed because they know to their very bones they NEED GOD. they put ALL of themselves in FAITH and TRUST of GOD and not self. Poor in what matters most: the knowledge of GOD and His love.Jesus blesses these people and tells of the riches and endless water that are given to us.

those who argue against God well the bible speaks of them and its not so nice. they are poor and don't recognize it. they do not seek to know God because they think they in their rags are rich, king of dung piles and things that perish. sorry that was a little harsh but that is the image that comes to mind.

I didn't read the rest: the article or other post.

Last edited:
S

silverwind

Also, I found a website that argues that the monetary poor is more likely the reason, as correlation based information shows that lower GDP's in a country, are often accompanied by high religious importance.

Religion vs. IQ - Are Religious People Stupid? <--- click for GDP argument
poor in spirit has nothing to do with your IQ or intellectual state.
it is the recognizing of one's utter spiritual bankruptsy... a state of humility. recognizing that without HIM you are nothing, with HIM you have everything, such as being spiritually RICH. :) hope that helps

Jun 24, 2010
poor in spirit has nothing to do with your IQ or intellectual state.
it is the recognizing of one's utter spiritual bankruptsy... a state of humility. recognizing that without HIM you are nothing, with HIM you have everything, such as being spiritually RICH. :) hope that helps
The above post is your answer 'jimmydiggs' (Mt 5:3) with the complement of some of the others posts (Mt 21:31).

E

eternally-gratefull

The text is refering to spiritual poverty. We come to Christ as "spiritual beggars" seeking that which only He can give. Spiritual wealth involves nothing on our own but only that which Christ gives through His life, death, and resurrection.
Amen. We can be rich in things, We are all poor in spirit, It is those who realise it who are blessed.