blood transfusions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
Many people think blood transfusions are against the word of GOD. We are not to cut ourselves or consume blood. Yet Jesus shed his blood for us. Just want to know what people believe and why.

“But flesh with the life of it, the blood of it, you shall not eat.” — Genesis 9:4
“Therefore I said to the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger who sojourns among you eat blood.” — Leviticus 17:12
“For as to the life of all flesh, the blood of it is [all one] with the life of it: therefore I said to the children of Israel, You shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh; for the life of all flesh is the blood of it: whoever eats it shall be cut off.” — Leviticus 17:14
“Only be sure that you don’t eat the blood: for the blood is the life; and you shall not eat the life with the flesh.” — Deuteronomy 12:23.
“You shall not eat of anything that dies of itself: you may give it to the sojourner who is within your gates, that he may eat it; or you may sell it to a foreigner: for you are a holy people to Yahweh your God.” — Deuteronomy 14:21
“Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it out on the earth as water.” — Deuteronomy 15:23
“But that we write to them that they abstain from the pollution of idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood. ”acts 15:20
“That you abstain from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality, from which if you keep yourselves, it will be well with you.” —acts 15:29

M

mori

Blood transfusions were never discussed, much less condemned - at best, we'd be extrapolating. They didn't have the technology back then to do it without probably killing everybody involved. There wasn't any idea that they had medicinal value.

All of the purity laws around eating blood, the prohibition against eating food sacrificed to idols (and it wasn't a universal prohibition), etc. - even if you accept them, the prohibition against transfusions does not necessarily follow.

This is one of those debatable things I think Paul instructs us to set aside quarreling over, if it threatens unity.

U

Ugly

I've never met a Christian who said blood transfusions were wrong. I know they say JW's are against them though. I'm all for them. I've had 2-3 myself. I think there is a huge difference in intent between drinking blood and blood transfusion and i think thats the main key.

Y

yaright

Many people think blood transfusions are against the word of GOD. We are not to cut ourselves or consume blood. Yet Jesus shed his blood for us. Just want to know what people believe and why.

“But flesh with the life of it, the blood of it, you shall not eat.” — Genesis 9:4
“Therefore I said to the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger who sojourns among you eat blood.” — Leviticus 17:12
“For as to the life of all flesh, the blood of it is [all one] with the life of it: therefore I said to the children of Israel, You shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh; for the life of all flesh is the blood of it: whoever eats it shall be cut off.” — Leviticus 17:14
“Only be sure that you don’t eat the blood: for the blood is the life; and you shall not eat the life with the flesh.” — Deuteronomy 12:23.
“You shall not eat of anything that dies of itself: you may give it to the sojourner who is within your gates, that he may eat it; or you may sell it to a foreigner: for you are a holy people to Yahweh your God.” — Deuteronomy 14:21
“Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it out on the earth as water.” — Deuteronomy 15:23
“But that we write to them that they abstain from the pollution of idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood. ”acts 15:20
“That you abstain from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality, from which if you keep yourselves, it will be well with you.” —acts 15:29

Probably by now you've noticed that Jesus fulfills all laws within us as we walk with Him. What Old Testament gave witness to according to the things which can be seen, ALL are revealed by Jesus in Spiritual terms. It is unlawful for God's people to cut themselves for the dead. Jesus reveals this meaning by giving the example of a man (demon possessed) living in the tombs and cutting himself with a stone. If a person does not trust Jesus to teach it, the meaning of the purpose of the law will remain hidden from that person. One more thing; In that parable life language, the meaning of the swine plays a large part in that parable.

L

Laodicea

I've never met a Christian who said blood transfusions were wrong. I know they say JW's are against them though. I'm all for them. I've had 2-3 myself. I think there is a huge difference in intent between drinking blood and blood transfusion and i think thats the main key.
John 10:10
(10) The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

S

Slepsog4

Transfusions do exactly what is stated about blood.... there is life in it.
Eating or drinking of blood was a pagan superstition. There was the believe that one could acquire the life force/soul of the animal or person whose blood they drank.

Can you spell N-A-S-T-Y ???

Jul 30, 2010

“For as to the life of all flesh, the blood of it is [all one] with the life of it: therefore I said to the children of Israel, You shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh; for the life of all flesh is the blood of it: whoever eats it shall be cut off.” —Leviticus 17:14
[/QUOTE]Is there any difference between taking drugs through the mouth or through injections? I think you get the same effect.

The reason for blood to be precious and sacred is because through Christ's blood only we are saved. Not through someone elses blood.

For the life is in the blood that belongs to God and it's better to leave it sacred. Selling and buying blood is also a sin.

Jul 30, 2010
I can understand your view for it is hard to sacrifice ones life for Gods word. It's up to you what you want to believe. You make the decision.